What is 'freedom'?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 11157
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: What is 'freedom'?

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

At least there's some self awareness. That's something I suppose...
User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 13386
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: What is 'freedom'?

Post by henry quirk »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:14 pm At least there's some self awareness. That's something I suppose...
if you close one eye, squint with the other, and cock your head just so: that almost reads as a compliment

👍
simplicity
Posts: 679
Joined: Thu May 20, 2021 5:23 pm

Re: What is 'freedom'?

Post by simplicity »

henry quirk wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:35 pm
simplicity wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:27 pm
henry quirk wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:13 pm simplicity,

Freedom is not doing what you please, but instead, doing what you must.

What must one do?
Ah...this is what your life's work is about.

Everybody must peel the layers back and get to their core...to find out who they are and what their purpose is on this planet.
Done that: livin' that life right now.

👍
Good for you!!
User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 13386
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: What is 'freedom'?

Post by henry quirk »

What does 'freedom' even mean?

Self-direction, self-reliance, self-responsibility. There's a moral aspect as well, but nobody wants to talk about that.
User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 13386
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: What is 'freedom'?

Post by henry quirk »

simplicity wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:19 pm
henry quirk wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:35 pm
simplicity wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:27 pm

Ah...this is what your life's work is about.

Everybody must peel the layers back and get to their core...to find out who they are and what their purpose is on this planet.
Done that: livin' that life right now.

👍
Good for you!!
I think a great many people live true: they're not the ones gettin the press, though
simplicity
Posts: 679
Joined: Thu May 20, 2021 5:23 pm

Re: What is 'freedom'?

Post by simplicity »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:51 pm
simplicity wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:02 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:42 pm

Not bad. Any intelligent being would enjoy doing as they please. Doing what you must, in order to survive, is not very pleasant.
The wisdom that [should] arrive with maturity shifts people from the child-perspective [that it's about about themselves] to the adult-perspective [where it is about taking responsibility]. Unfortunately we live in an era where a great percentage of children never grow-up.
Exactly. A 'certain poster' on here clearly never matured emotionally past the age of 12. It's all 'me me me' with him, and no fore(or in)sight whatsoever.
It appears as if there are quite a few younger people who post here.

Like the saying goes...at 21 I knew everything, then I knew less and less every year after.

It's not what you know, instead, it's what you know you cannot know.
User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 11157
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: What is 'freedom'?

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

If prisons were luxurious estates, where your every need was catered to and you could indulge your hobbies and interests (or not, as you so choose) in a safe and beautiful environment then I don't think many humans would object to being there. Heck, we even call the people who actually live like that 'privileged' :lol:

But Henry would rather sit in his hovel with his gun collection, defending his toothpicks to the death...
User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 13386
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: What is 'freedom'?

Post by henry quirk »

Henry would rather sit in his hovel with his gun collection, defending his toothpicks to the death...

house, one shotgun, currently out of toothpicks (and, yes, I'd rather be free than in a naturalistic enclosure)

-----

at 21 I knew everything,

this is true

It's not what you know, instead, it's what you know you cannot know.

true too
User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 11157
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: What is 'freedom'?

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

How ironic (but typical) that the one who bleats on about his 'freedom' wants to dictate to women what they can and can't do with their own bodies...
User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 13386
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: What is 'freedom'?

Post by henry quirk »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:54 pm How ironic (but typical) that the one who bleats on about his 'freedom' wants to dictate to women what they can and can't do with their own bodies...
you ladies can do as you like with your bodies

you ought, however, not do as you like with the bodies of other folks
User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 11157
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: What is 'freedom'?

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

henry quirk wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:02 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:54 pm How ironic (but typical) that the one who bleats on about his 'freedom' wants to dictate to women what they can and can't do with their own bodies...
you ladies can do as you like with your bodies

you ought, however, not do as you like with the bodies of other folks
It's part of THEIR body, and ENTIRELY dependent for its survival on THEIR body. Once it becomes independent of THEIR body then it can enjoy the rights of humans to be self reliant and to defend its toothpicks to the death. Until there is even the remotest chance of you being in that situation then you really should shut the fuck up about it.
User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 13386
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: What is 'freedom'?

Post by henry quirk »

Until there is even the remotest chance of you being in that situation then you really should shut the fuck up about it.

hey, in this thread, you brought it up, not me

don't open the door: I won't walk thru
User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 11157
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: What is 'freedom'?

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:21 am Until there is even the remotest chance of you being in that situation then you really should shut the fuck up about it.

hey, in this thread, you brought it up, not me

don't open the door: I won't walk thru
Yet it neutralises pretty much everything you say on any thread.
User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 13386
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: What is 'freedom'?

Post by henry quirk »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:42 am
henry quirk wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:21 am Until there is even the remotest chance of you being in that situation then you really should shut the fuck up about it.

hey, in this thread, you brought it up, not me

don't open the door: I won't walk thru
Yet it neutralises pretty much everything you say on any thread.
nah, if it did, you'd never open your mouth about men, christians, americans, and a whole whack of other stuff...you aren't those things, will never be those things, have no idea what it is to be those things, so you ought keep your trap shut about 'em...but, you never do...so you're a double-standard hypocrite, who knows the you ain't a woman spiel ain't worth spit

as I say: don't open the door: I won't walk thru
User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 11157
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: What is 'freedom'?

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:52 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:42 am
henry quirk wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:21 am Until there is even the remotest chance of you being in that situation then you really should shut the fuck up about it.

hey, in this thread, you brought it up, not me

don't open the door: I won't walk thru
Yet it neutralises pretty much everything you say on any thread.
nah, if it did, you'd never open your mouth about men, christians, americans, and a whole whack of other stuff...you aren't those things, will never be those things, have no idea what it is to be those things, so you ought keep your trap shut about 'em...but, you never do...so you're a double-standard hypocrite, who knows the you ain't a woman spiel ain't worth spit

as I say: don't open the door: I won't walk thru
I don't bleat on constantly about my 'freedoms'. I'm not a big, fat hypocrite like you are. I'm far more pro 'freedom' than you will ever be. You can't even define it, except by using a lot of meaningless jargon.
Post Reply