Moderators: AMod, iMod

Vitruvius

Re: Solving Climate Change.

Post by Vitruvius »

FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Belinda wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:19 pm
Vitruvius wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:30 pm BBC news have added 'climate' as a stand alone section, apart from the science section. Given the significance of the issue - I'd like to do the same thing here. "Cornoavirus discussion" has its own section, and that's not even an existential issue - unless you're an antivax, anti-masker, in which case, you'll almost certainly die - and your legacy will be a video on youtube, crying about how wrong you were, and encouraging other people to wear masks and get jabs! But I digress. Climate change is an existential issue, it's important, it's going to be a subject forever, has enormous implications across science, economics, politics; it deserves its own section.
I agree climate change is too enormous not to stand alone as the greatest danger man has ever faced.
I would counter by pointing to the gender sub, which is nothing but a place for bitter reactionaries like Can and Veggie to complain endlessly about ladyboys. The Covid sub is nothing but a place for a similar coalition of reactionaries and loons to spam MAGA memes. If you put a climate sub on this forum it will go exactly the same way.
Vitruvius

Post by Vitruvius »

Vitruvius wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:30 pm BBC news have added 'climate' as a stand alone section, apart from the science section. Given the significance of the issue - I'd like to do the same thing here. "Cornoavirus discussion" has its own section, and that's not even an existential issue - unless you're an antivax, anti-masker, in which case, you'll almost certainly die - and your legacy will be a video on youtube, crying about how wrong you were, and encouraging other people to wear masks and get jabs! But I digress. Climate change is an existential issue, it's important, it's going to be a subject forever, has enormous implications across science, economics, politics; it deserves its own section.
Belinda wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:19 pmI agree climate change is too enormous not to stand alone as the greatest danger man has ever faced.
FlashDangerpants wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:14 pmI would counter by pointing to the gender sub, which is nothing but a place for bitter reactionaries like Can and Veggie to complain endlessly about ladyboys. The Covid sub is nothing but a place for a similar coalition of reactionaries and loons to spam MAGA memes. If you put a climate sub on this forum it will go exactly the same way.
Here's a quote from Veggie on the gender forum:

Re: Puberty blockers - no parental consent.
Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:50 pm

"If gender is 'only a social construct' then what exactly are these fuckwits changing children 'into'? How can you 'feel like' something that supposedly doesn't exist? None too bright these wokies. So what? if a boy likes playing with dolls or playing dress-ups? Doesn't make him a girl. Plenty of girls don't like doing those things. Does that mean they are all boys? The physical harm that wokedom is doing to children is only secondary to the mental harm that it's doing. Children are only their little pawns in the creation of the dystopia that they envision for humanity."

Could you point out the reactionary loony-ism?
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Vitruvius wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:39 pm ‘A huge cause for concern’: Countries’ latest climate pledges not enough to meet Paris goals, says UN
Daisy Dunne 41 mins ago

The latest climate pledges put forward by countries would put the world on course for 2.7C of global heating by the end of the century – far above the goals set by the Paris Agreement, a UN analysis finds.

The review finds that countries’ current climate commitments would see global greenhouse gas emissions increase by 16 per cent by 2030, when compared to 2010 levels.

For the world to be on track to meeting the Paris Agreement’s aspiration of limiting global heating to 1.5C above pre-industrial levels, emissions would need to fall by 45 per cent by 2030, according to a recent landmark climate assessment.

“The 16 per cent increase is a huge cause of concern,” said Patricia Espinosa, executive secretary of UN Climate Change.

“It is in sharp contrast with the calls by science for rapid, sustained and large-scale emission reductions to prevent the most severe climate consequences and suffering, especially of the most vulnerable, throughout the world.”

The findings come just weeks before countries are due to meet in Glasgow for Cop26, which is widely viewed as the most important UN climate summit since the Paris meeting in 2015.

Alok Sharma, the UK minister who is incoming president of the summit, urged the world’s largest emitters to come forward with tougher climate plans.

“Those nations which have submitted new and ambitious climate plans are already bending the curve of emissions downwards. But without action from all countries, especially the biggest economies, these efforts risk being in vain,” he said.

“We can change the course of history for the better. We can and must act, for ourselves, for vulnerable communities and future generations.”

The analysis considers the climate plans – formally known as “nationally determined contributions” – put forward by the 191 countries and states signed up to the Paris Agreement by the end of July.

All countries were expected to submit updated climate plans by this date, but many of the world’s largest emitters missed the deadline.

The new analysis finds that, when just the 113 countries that did meet the deadline are considered, greenhouse gas emissions are expected to fall by 12 per cent in 2030, compared to 2010.

However, when all countries are considered, emissions are expected to rise by 16 per cent.

Many of the climate plans put forward by developing countries are based on the condition of receiving financial aid – highlighting the importance of leaders meeting their long-held promise of providing $100bn a year to help poorer nations, Ms Espinosa added.

“The pledge to mobilise $100bn annually by 2020 was key for enhancing climate action by developing countries,” she said.

“That commitment that was made in the UN [Climate Change] process more than 10 years ago has not yet been fulfilled. It’s time to deliver – Cop26 is the place to do so.”

Ms Espinosa added that countries could come forward with new or updated climate plans any time before Cop26 – and that a second NDC synthesis report would be published in October.

Ed Miliband, Labour’s shadow business secretary, said the UK had a “unique responsibility” to ensure the summit is a success.

“This sobering report cuts through the greenwash and exposes the awful truth: the world is not remotely on track to limit global warming to 1.5C,” he said.

“Cop26 provides the world with a chance to secure the progress needed to avert catastrophic climate breakdown.

“As hosts, the UK has a unique responsibility to make the summit a success. We can have no more climate delay. The government must act now before the window closes.”

Laurence Tubiana, CEO of the European Climate Foundation and a key architect of the Paris Agreement, said the findings should spur leaders to take action at a UN General Assembly meeting taking place next week.

“The brutal impacts of climate change are hitting every corner of the world,” she said.

“This report underlines the self-harm big emitters inflict on the planet by failing to meet their obligations under the Paris Agreement. We now need all G20 countries to deliver tougher plans by Cop26 in line with 1.5C.”

The findings come amid concerns the UK’s new defence deal with Australia and the US could stymie climate progress by alienating China, the world’s largest emitter.

Mohamed Adow, director of think tank Power Shift Africa, said the analysis was a “damning indictment” of progress to tackle emissions.

“The UK government can sign a new security relationship with Australia but won’t push them to provide upgraded climate pledges ahead of the most important summit held on British soil since the Second World War,” he said.

Australia’s plan for tackling its emissions is rated “highly insufficient” by Climate Action Tracker, an independent research group – and last week it was revealed that the government secretly agreed to drop climate commitments from a UK-Australia trade agreement.

“This needs to be a wake-up call for Boris Johnson to use every diplomatic sinew to ensure Glasgow doesn’t fail,” said Mr Adow.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/a- ... d=msedgntp
The important theme of doom and gloom from politicians shows that initiative must come from the hearts and minds of ordinary people. With the demise of religion we need a new myth.
Vitruvius

Post by Vitruvius »

Belinda wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:56 am The important theme of doom and gloom from politicians shows that initiative must come from the hearts and minds of ordinary people. With the demise of religion we need a new myth.
I disagree entirely. A viable solution can only come from government, capital and industry.
Last edited by Vitruvius on Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vitruvius

Post by Vitruvius »

Vitruvius

Post by Vitruvius »

Last edited by Vitruvius on Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vitruvius

Post by Vitruvius »

Vitruvius

Post by Vitruvius »

How does carbon dioxide trap heat?

You’ve probably already read that carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases act like a blanket or a cap, trapping some of the heat that Earth might have otherwise radiated out into space. That’s the simple answer. But how exactly do certain molecules trap heat?

When sunlight reaches Earth, the surface absorbs some of the light’s energy and reradiates it as infrared waves, which we feel as heat. (Hold your hand over a dark rock on a warm sunny day and you can feel this phenomenon for yourself.) These infrared waves travel up into the atmosphere and will escape back into space if unimpeded.

Carbon dioxide absorbs energy at a variety of wavelengths between 2,000 and 15,000 nanometers — a range that overlaps with that of infrared energy. As CO2 soaks up this infrared energy, it vibrates and re-emits the infrared energy back in all directions. About half of that energy goes out into space, and about half of it returns to Earth as heat, contributing to the ‘greenhouse effect.’

Energy enters our atmosphere as visible light, whereas it tries to leave as infrared energy. In other words, energy coming into our planet from the Sun arrives as one currency, and it leaves in another. CO2 molecules don’t really interact with sunlight’s wavelengths. Only after the Earth absorbs sunlight and reemits the energy as infrared waves can the CO2 and other greenhouse gases absorb the energy.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Vitruvius wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:02 am
Belinda wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:56 am The important theme of doom and gloom from politicians shows that initiative must come from the hearts and minds of ordinary people. With the demise of religion we need a new myth.
Thank you for your post. It's great that you've re-posted that whole article with a nothing comment, after I spent all morning making that thread look great. Thanks again.
I am really sorry because I do appreciate you efforts, all of them to date. I have a habit which some find reprehensible of condensing my replies. I meant to say that in addition to the scientific facts we need public confidence that we can and should set high targets. This is bound to be uncomfortable in the short term and that is why we need the inspiration of a new mythology.
Vitruvius

Post by Vitruvius »

Vitruvius wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:02 amThank you for your post. It's great that you've re-posted that whole article with a nothing comment, after I spent all morning making that thread look great. Thanks again.
Belinda wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:14 amI am really sorry because I do appreciate you efforts, all of them to date. I have a habit which some find reprehensible of condensing my replies. I meant to say that in addition to the scientific facts we need public confidence that we can and should set high targets. This is bound to be uncomfortable in the short term and that is why we need the inspiration of a new mythology.
It's not bound to be uncomfortable. If you'd read anything I've written - you'd know my argument is that the green left 'stop this tax that' approach to sustainability is wrong, and what we need is limitless clean energy. So please, don't tell me you appreciate my efforts - when you don't have a clue what I'm talking about.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Vitruvius wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:28 am
Vitruvius wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:02 amThank you for your post. It's great that you've re-posted that whole article with a nothing comment, after I spent all morning making that thread look great. Thanks again.
Belinda wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:14 amI am really sorry because I do appreciate you efforts, all of them to date. I have a habit which some find reprehensible of condensing my replies. I meant to say that in addition to the scientific facts we need public confidence that we can and should set high targets. This is bound to be uncomfortable in the short term and that is why we need the inspiration of a new mythology.
It's not bound to be uncomfortable. If you'd read anything I've written - you'd know my argument is that the green left 'stop this tax that' approach to sustainability is wrong, and what we need is limitless clean energy. So please, don't tell me you appreciate my efforts - when you don't have a clue what I'm talking about.
That is fighting talk, and in order to persuade you should write like that more often. I have told you I don't really understand the science. I like to be instructed on the science.

Taxes are unfortunately necessary in the absence of public zeal that comes from the hearts of people.
Vitruvius

Post by Vitruvius »

Belinda wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:35 amThat is fighting talk, and in order to persuade you should write like that more often. I have told you I don't really understand the science. I like to be instructed on the science. Taxes are unfortunately necessary in the absence of public zeal that comes from the hearts of people.
If you'd read the posts on the previous page before you commented, they explain the science, the politics, and the alternate approach I recommend, interspersed with some lovely pictures and informative diagrams. I spent all morning doing that, and you ignored it, and ruined it.
Last edited by Vitruvius on Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Vitruvius

Post by Vitruvius »

Boris Johnson to make first visit to White House to push for climate action ahead of COP26
Amy Coles, news reporter.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson will visit President Joe Biden next week in a bid to drum up support ahead of the COP26 Summit on climate change.

Mr Johnson will travel to New York for a meeting at the UN on Monday, before travelling to Washington to meet Mr Biden at the White House for the first time for discussions on climate, COVID and international security.

It is hoped the meetings will help galvanise momentum in the lead up to COP26 - crunch climate talks the UK is hosting in Glasgow in November.

Speaking ahead of the visit, the prime minister said: "World leaders have a small window of time left to deliver on their climate commitments ahead of COP26.

Mr Johnson and Mr Biden made a series of climate promises when they met at the G7 in Cornwall in June
"My message to those I meet this week will be clear: future generations will judge us based on what we achieve in the coming months."

While in New York Mr Johnson will make a speech at the UN General Assembly and meet a group of world leaders to discuss actions that can be taken to help mitigate the impact of global warming on developing countries.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/bo ... d=msedgntp
Last edited by Vitruvius on Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vitruvius

Post by Vitruvius »

Dear Sirs,

Insofar as news reporter Amy Coles captures your intent in the following passage, I ask you to reconsider:

"These discussions will be an important opportunity to build on the climate commitments made by leaders, including the Mr Johnson and Mr Biden, at the G7 Summit in Cornwall."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/bo ... d=msedgntp

...in light of an earlier story by Daisy Dunne, which reads:

‘A huge cause for concern’: Countries’ latest climate pledges not enough to meet Paris goals, says UN.'
Daisy Dunne.

The latest climate pledges put forward by countries would put the world on course for 2.7C of global heating by the end of the century – far above the goals set by the Paris Agreement, a UN analysis finds.'

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/a- ... d=msedgntp

More of the same, difficult to deliver, politically unpopular measures will not solve the problem. I ask instead that you consider magma energy; a source of clean energy of so massive - it could meet and exceed global energy demand, carbon free, such that - it would not require a 'have less, pay more, tax this, stop that' strategy, the UN says will not secure the future anyway. This can:

Summary:
There is an inexhaustible amount of energy lying right beneath our feet. It is a renewable and stable energy source -- free of carbon dioxide emissions. Researchers are now planning to drill deep into the Earth to extract it. If they succeed it will be a major technological breakthrough. Ninety-nine per cent of planet Earth has a temperature in excess of 1,000 degrees Celsius as a result of residual heat inherited from the Earth's primordial origins and the breakdown of radioactive materials. This heat can be transformed into energy -- and there is more than enough to go round.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 094414.htm

Thanks for your time.
Vitruvius.
"Strength, utility and beauty"