Is interpretation the basis for all subjective thought?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Judaka
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:24 pm

Is interpretation the basis for all subjective thought?

Post by Judaka » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:35 am

I am looking for any valid criticism regarding the following idea; that interpretation is the basis for all subjective thought.

By interpretation I mean: the act of explaining what something means or a belief about what something means

The argument is; Beliefs are formed as a result of believing something (or some things) means something and this is what the belief is.

I am excluding from this, notions formed as a result of psychology such as temperaments or what have you, which may create a subjective truth for someone.

So are there any contexts where you agree interpretation is the basis for some KIND of subjective belief or perhaps just that interpretation really is the basis for all subjective thought? If not then what contexts is it not.

Thanks

User avatar
Lacewing
Posts: 2813
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:25 am

Re: Is interpretation the basis for all subjective thought?

Post by Lacewing » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:01 pm

That makes sense to me. One's interpretation results in the reasoning and beliefs that follow it. Even though there are always multiple interpretations, people are usually quite sure of their own interpretation being most accurate.

Walker
Posts: 5238
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Is interpretation the basis for all subjective thought?

Post by Walker » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:36 pm

What else would be the basis, other than someone else's view?

User avatar
Eodnhoj7
Posts: 2083
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:18 am

Re: Is interpretation the basis for all subjective thought?

Post by Eodnhoj7 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:32 pm

Judaka wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:35 am
I am looking for any valid criticism regarding the following idea; that interpretation is the basis for all subjective thought.

By interpretation I mean: the act of explaining what something means or a belief about what something means

The argument is; Beliefs are formed as a result of believing something (or some things) means something and this is what the belief is.

I am excluding from this, notions formed as a result of psychology such as temperaments or what have you, which may create a subjective truth for someone.

So are there any contexts where you agree interpretation is the basis for some KIND of subjective belief or perhaps just that interpretation really is the basis for all subjective thought? If not then what contexts is it not.

Thanks
Interpretation puts limits to the subjective, by applying boundaries, which inevitably objectifies it. Subjectivity, has no limit, while objectivity observes inherent limits. This dualism provides the basis for self-evidence, through the axiom, as both no-limit and limit where limit exists through no-limit and no-limit cancels itself out as limits through a negation of negation in itself alone.

jayjacobus
Posts: 591
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:45 pm

Re: Is interpretation the basis for all subjective thought?

Post by jayjacobus » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:30 pm

Interpretation is the basis for cognition or so it seem. Whatever comes from your senses are interpretted at least for what your attention is focused on. Can you act without interpretting? Perhaps you can act biomechanically but interpretively seems to override biomechanically given a few seconds to think. Yet action is usually learned and automatic without thinking providing a third way of behaving.

This a basic analysis of intepretation and I mostly agree with what else has been said.

HexHammer
Posts: 2996
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 8:19 pm

Re: Is interpretation the basis for all subjective thought?

Post by HexHammer » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:52 pm

No, there's also the concept of compulsions.

User avatar
Eodnhoj7
Posts: 2083
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:18 am

Re: Is interpretation the basis for all subjective thought?

Post by Eodnhoj7 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:27 pm

Interpretation as the basis of all subjective thought is in itself an interpretation and as such is an objective statement.

Dalek Prime
Posts: 4770
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 am
Location: Living in a tree with Polly.

Re: Is interpretation the basis for all subjective thought?

Post by Dalek Prime » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:02 pm

HexHammer wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:52 pm
No, there's also the concept of compulsions.
Compulsion is just a bad way of interpreting things.

Dalek Prime
Posts: 4770
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 am
Location: Living in a tree with Polly.

Re: Is interpretation the basis for all subjective thought?

Post by Dalek Prime » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:04 pm

It would hardly be a coherent thought, let alone subjective, if it wasn't interpreted into some comprehensible format.

HexHammer
Posts: 2996
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 8:19 pm

Re: Is interpretation the basis for all subjective thought?

Post by HexHammer » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:41 pm

Dalek Prime wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:02 pm
HexHammer wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:52 pm
No, there's also the concept of compulsions.
Compulsion is just a bad way of interpreting things.
In some cases, but not all cases.

Dalek Prime
Posts: 4770
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 am
Location: Living in a tree with Polly.

Re: Is interpretation the basis for all subjective thought?

Post by Dalek Prime » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:20 am

HexHammer wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:41 pm
Dalek Prime wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:02 pm
HexHammer wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:52 pm
No, there's also the concept of compulsions.
Compulsion is just a bad way of interpreting things.
In some cases, but not all cases.
Which cases do you consider the exceptions?

HexHammer
Posts: 2996
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 8:19 pm

Re: Is interpretation the basis for all subjective thought?

Post by HexHammer » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:58 pm

Dalek Prime wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:20 am
Which cases do you consider the exceptions?
- to do good
- be dedicated
- being honest
- being uncorruptable
Etc!

Dalek Prime
Posts: 4770
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 am
Location: Living in a tree with Polly.

Re: Is interpretation the basis for all subjective thought?

Post by Dalek Prime » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:44 pm

HexHammer wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:58 pm
Dalek Prime wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:20 am
Which cases do you consider the exceptions?
- to do good
- be dedicated
- being honest
- being uncorruptable
Etc!
Conclusions which have been interpreted and processed, I would say.

HexHammer
Posts: 2996
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 8:19 pm

Re: Is interpretation the basis for all subjective thought?

Post by HexHammer » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:02 pm

Dalek Prime wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:44 pm
Conclusions which have been interpreted and processed, I would say.
I believe what you sa is something based on ignorance, that you grab out of thin air.

Dalek Prime
Posts: 4770
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 am
Location: Living in a tree with Polly.

Re: Is interpretation the basis for all subjective thought?

Post by Dalek Prime » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:03 pm

HexHammer wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:02 pm
Dalek Prime wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:44 pm
Conclusions which have been interpreted and processed, I would say.
I believe what you sa is something based on ignorance, that you grab out of thin air.
I believe you believe that. Nonetheless, you haven't shown how your exceptions defy interpretation.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests