Thanks
nameless

Re: ?????

Post by nameless »

Perhaps you mistake us for MySpace?
Richard Baron

Post by Richard Baron »

nameless wrote:Perhaps you mistake us for MySpace?
I don't see why. "Myspace" smacks of egocentric space, the space within which one might describe one's location as "Here! Now!". Houston is located in objective space.

SpiderKitty, good luck with finding people in your area. Other people have made similar posts for other places, and I think that some have either found or created philosophy groups that way.
SpiderKitty

Post by SpiderKitty »

Thanks Richard!

Nameless.....please don't mistake my introduction for me being a kid that is consumed with MySpace and texting..... I am 36 ..... I am on here to better my mind..... Thanks .... with this I will leave you with something to think about......

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out? ~ Rene' Descartes
nameless

Post by nameless »

Richard Baron wrote:
nameless wrote:Perhaps you mistake us for MySpace?
I don't see why. "Myspace" smacks of egocentric space, the space within which one might describe one's location as "Here! Now!".
The 'judgement' problem is yours. I simply remember that MySpace was full of 'get together requests'. No judgement involved. You display your own agenda...
Quite the opposite, actually.
And, the only place anyone can be is Here! Now!
If you desire, and feel capable of arguing against that truth, feel free to open your own thread, rather than use this one for cheap drive-by shots.
But thanx for your input.
Houston is located in objective space.
Reeeally!?! I don't think that you can support the obsolete notion of "objective space". But that is not the question.
If one is just looking for local buds, as was the op, that is not philosophy, and could be as well Twittered or MySpaced...
But thanx again for your thoughtful response...
Last edited by nameless on Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
nameless

Post by nameless »

SpiderKitty wrote:Thanks Richard!

Nameless.....please don't mistake my introduction for me being a kid that is consumed with MySpace and texting..... I am 36 .....
One can, at any age, seek people in one's immediate vicinity. It is not a put down, just an observation.

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out? ~ Rene' Descartes
Quite irrelevent, and ridiculous besides.
Wootah

Post by Wootah »

Nameless wrote:Perhaps you mistake us for MySpace?
Nameless wrote:... rather than use this one for your cheap drive-by shots.
Richard Baron

Post by Richard Baron »

Hello Nameless

I was thinking of objective space as opposed to egocentric space, not objective space in the pre-Einstein sense. Perhaps the distinction would be clearer if one said "space conceived objectively" (that is, not from any particular place) and "space conceived egocentrically (that is, from me). But "objective space" and "egocentric space" have become the standard terminology.

Un optimiste peut voir une lumière là où il n'y en a pas. Mais pourquoi le pessimiste se précipite-t-il aussitôt pour l'éteindre?

I like this quotation, but cannot trace it to Descartes (not that I have checked his works properly). It is also attributed to Michel de Saint-Pierre, presumably the one who lived from 1916 to 1987. If it was him, it must have gone unattributed to Descartes for 300 years or so.
SpiderKitty

Post by SpiderKitty »

I am over it!! Done!