London Philosophy Now Group

Philosophy Now meetup groups.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

mickthinks

Re: London

Post by mickthinks »

There will be no meeting this month for the London group. Apologies to those who were planning to come tomorrow.

However, our very own Rick Lewis will be taking part in a debate under the auspices of Dialogue with Islam
to which Philosophy Now readers are cordially invited.

Mick
jetsetjason

Post by jetsetjason »

i wonder what karl popper would say about god, delusion, belief systems etc. etc.
Richard Baron

Post by Richard Baron »

The debate that Mick announced a couple of posts ago is being re-run with a different atheist speaker on 3 December, in Greenwich. Hamza is again the speaker for the theist side, but I am speaking for the atheist side. Information is here:

http://hamzatzortzis.blogspot.com/2009/ ... -with.html

As you will see, you do need to register in advance, but that is just to make sure that there is space in the room.
mickthinks

Post by mickthinks »

Thursday 19 November

We meet in The Cafe in the Crypt of St Martin in the Fields* at Trafalgar Square, at 7.30pm.

The discussion will start from the question raised by Mr Justice Michael Burton in a recent judgement (my thanks to Philinquirer and Richard Baron) :
  • What is a philosophical belief?
You are all welcome to join us for a few drinks and an evening of congenial philosophy.

* We are usually in the quiet room through the arches off the main cafeteria area.
jetsetjason

Post by jetsetjason »

I maybe in London for a few days, in December, hope it the same day as a PN meeting, or, perhaps , an impromptu drink with mick :)
mickthinks

Post by mickthinks »

There will be no meeting this month for the London group. Apologies to those who were planning to attend. We'll be back for the 3rd Thursday in February, all being well.
mickthinks

Post by mickthinks »

Thursday 18 February

We meet in The Cafe in the Crypt of St Martin in the Fields* at Trafalgar Square, at 7.30pm.

You are all welcome to join us for a few drinks and an evening of congenial philosophy.

* We are usually in the quiet room through the arches off the main cafeteria area.
mickthinks

Post by mickthinks »

Thursday 18 March

It's the third Thursday again and we meet in The Cafe in the Crypt of St Martin in the Fields* at Trafalgar Square, at 7.30pm.

digitig

Post by digitig »

Are these still happening?
mickthinks

Post by mickthinks »

I'm afraid not, digitig. I hope they will resume at some point, but I am no longer in London so it won't be me resuming them.
Richard Baron

Post by Richard Baron »

Hello Digitig

There is still plenty of other philosophical activity in London, for example Philosophy for All ( http://www.pfalondon.org/ ).
Nikolai

Post by Nikolai »

Hi mick - what you doing in Augsberg?
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Hi RB,
I notice its you then Rick then Anja Steinbauer(his missus?) on the Mary Ward lectures. Is there an entrance fee?
Richard Baron

Post by Richard Baron »

Arising_uk wrote:I notice its you then Rick then Anja Steinbauer(his missus?) on the Mary Ward lectures. Is there an entrance fee?
The Saturday afternoon debates are completely free. There is no need to book, just turn up. (In fact, there is no way to book.)

They are not debates with one or two people on each side, arguing for or against a motion. Instead, the person running the debate introduces the topic for about ten minutes, then leads a discussion in which everyone else does most of the talking (not all at once - we are civilized creatures). Whoever is running the debate will gently keep the discussion on topic, and will now and then introduce new aspects of the topic to consider.

The Wednesday evening lectures under the title "Kant's Cave" take place in a room above a pub, which we do have to hire. So there is no charge to members (membership is available to anyone, at £15 a year or only £12 by standing order), but we do ask non-members to contribute £2. Again, there is no booking, just turn up.

Anyone who is interested should go to the PFA website http://www.pfalondon.org/ , then use the links on the left hand side for information on specific series of events.
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

Good luck with chairing the debate this Saturday, Richard, and I hope to see you there! I'm doing the one on zombies next month...

Many thanks Mick for running the London Philosophy Now Meetup group for so long. I hope we can revive those meetings at some point soon. Meanwhile as Richard says, particularly thanks to Philosophy For All there is no shortage of interesting philosophy events in London.