Philosophy in the Marketplace

Philosophy Now meetup groups.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Natasha_DM16

Philosophy in the Marketplace

Post by Natasha_DM16 »

I am currently taking a General Philosophy course, and my professor has given me an assignment where I need to find a group of people and get them to answer a few questions. I am going to use your opinions, as a group and basically summarize everyones beliefs into one. The objective of this is to mainly create a discussion with our classmates, and see what beliefs everyone has. Thanks for calls help!

Here is the four questions survey...

1.) Do you believe in God?
2.) Do you believe that there is some ultimate meaning or purpose to human life?
3.) Do you believe that everyone is morally responsible for him or herself?
4.) Is the scientific account of the world essentially correct?
Impenitent

Re: Philosophy in the Marketplace

Post by Impenitent »

Natasha_DM16 wrote:I am currently taking a General Philosophy course, and my professor has given me an assignment where I need to find a group of people and get them to answer a few questions. I am going to use your opinions, as a group and basically summarize everyones beliefs into one. The objective of this is to mainly create a discussion with our classmates, and see what beliefs everyone has. Thanks for calls help!

2.) Do you believe that there is some ultimate meaning or purpose to human life?
there is no standard
yes I am
not even close
no there isn't

these 4 answers fit the questions (you decide which order)

-Imp
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

No, but I could be wrong.

No, but I could be wrong.

No, but I could be wrong. Absolutely, though, each and every one is 'practically' responsible for him- or her-self. That is: if you don't feed you, relying on the other guy to provide, well, you may end up dead.

Hell if I know...the cluster of (sometimes) conflicting descriptions that comprise the 'scientific account' is the best thing on the table, but that doesn't mean a whole lot.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Natasha_DM16 wrote:I am currently taking a General Philosophy course, and my professor has given me an assignment where I need to find a group of people and get them to answer a few questions. I am going to use your opinions, as a group and basically summarize everyones beliefs into one. The objective of this is to mainly create a discussion with our classmates, and see what beliefs everyone has. Thanks for calls help!

1.) Yes.
2.) Each person makes their own meaning, so there is no "ultimate meaning" for all people.
3.) Yes.
4.) It's as close as we have gotten so far, given the evidence we have.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

This...

...can be taken two ways.

A: Do you believe that everyone 'is' morally responsible for him or herself?

B: Do you believe that everyone 'should' be morally responsible for him or herself?

I took the question as A, as - obviously - there are great mobs of folks who don't take responsibility for themselves, not morally, ethically, or practically.

Now, 'should' folks be self-responsible (morally, ethically, practically)? Yes.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

1.) Do you believe in God? Perhaps, but He's not owed worship.
2.) Do you believe that there is some ultimate meaning or purpose to human life? Lol! If it makes you feel better about it, sure. :roll:
3.) Do you believe that everyone is morally responsible for him or herself? I believe there is an ethical responsibility to cause as little harm to others as possible, and no ethical responsibility to cause pleasure.
4.) Is the scientific account of the world essentially correct? Whether it is or not, the only thing that truly matters is our consciousness, first and foremost.
Last edited by Dalek Prime on Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Oy. Double post. :roll:
-1-

Post by -1- »

Natasha_DM16 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:48 pm
I don't believe in God, but I do believe in god. Or gods. A gad, or E-gad. (That's the electronic version.)

There is no ultimate purpose in life, unless you name one and declare that is your (or his, hers, etc.) ultimate purpose. However, this does not exclude that there may or may not be an ultimate purpose in the afterlife.

I am not my own keeper. I am not responsible for my own acts. However, this failed at an attempt to obtain a "non-guilty" verdict. Kids, don't try this at home.

The scientific version of the account of the world is correct, provided you use a forward-averaging leveraged bifurcation of accelerated depreciation. However, this is meaningless unless you first decide on a rate of return.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

1.What do you mean by "God" ?

2. Whose life do you refer to? Whose meaning do you refer to?

3. Bit of this Bit of that

4. Do you expect me to present my favourite theory of existence in a short sentence?
Last edited by Belinda on Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ken

Post by ken »

Natasha_DM16 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:48 pm I am currently taking a General Philosophy course, and my professor has given me an assignment where I need to find a group of people and get them to answer a few questions. I am going to use your opinions, as a group and basically summarize everyones beliefs into one. The objective of this is to mainly create a discussion with our classmates, and see what beliefs everyone has. Thanks for calls help!

1.) No, but nor do I disbelieve in God. What is this thing called 'God' by the way that you are asking if people believe in or not.
2.) No, but nor do I believe the opposite. My view though is very compelling however. But I would need to clarify some thing first.
3.) No, but nor do I believe the opposite. And, should not age be the very first thing that comes into question regarding this question? 'Everyone' includes new borns, newly weds, and the nearly deads. Is it morally responsible to ask a question like this in regards to everyone?
4.) Has the scientific account of the "world", whatever that is actually referring to, ever been essentially correct? I thought the idea of science was to essentially remain open to discovery, always.

If you gained more clarity from the professor about what they are actually asking, then that might show the professor the uselessness and the actual counter productivity of beliefs themselves.
ken

Re:

Post by ken »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:00 pm This...

...can be taken two ways.

A: Do you believe that everyone 'is' morally responsible for him or herself?

B: Do you believe that everyone 'should' be morally responsible for him or herself?

I took the question as A, as - obviously - there are great mobs of folks who don't take responsibility for themselves, not morally, ethically, or practically.

Now, 'should' folks be self-responsible (morally, ethically, practically)? Yes.
HOW could the question be legitimately taken two ways? It was only asked in ONE way.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"HOW could the question be legitimately taken two ways? It was only asked in ONE way."

I guess I'm just too dumb to see what's in front of my face.
davidm

Re:

Post by davidm »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:31 pm "HOW could the question be legitimately taken two ways? It was only asked in ONE way."

I guess I'm just too dumb to see what's in front of my face.
Well, it has been established that you are pretty goddamned dumb.
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

Do you believe in God No because I do not do belief of any kind as it is epistemologically worthless so I prefer to think rather than to believe
Do you believe that there is some ultimate meaning or purpose to human life No as nothing ultimately matters in the grand scheme of things
Do you believe that everyone is morally responsible for him or herself Every mentally competent adult is entirely responsible for them selves
Is the scientific account of the world essentially correct Yes it is and further more it improves over time because more knowledge is acquired
henry quirk

I love you too, Dave.

Post by henry quirk »

:)