Philosophical questions

Philosophy Now meetup groups.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dalek Prime

Re: Philosophical questions

Post by Dalek Prime »

Honestly, as a comp. sci, I don't buy into consciousness being replicated in computers. More importantly, I don't see any purpose to it, even if it could. Computers are perfect for their purpose now; calculating quickly and accurately. If computers were built to ponder, they would be less efficient at what they were intended for.
pilgrim1917

Post by pilgrim1917 »

Dubious wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:02 pm
yagmursozluk wrote:why there is something rather than nothing?
...because nothing is even more inconceivable than something aside which there is always something hiding in nothing. Personally, I prefer nothing over something since the something you get is not usually what you wanted in the first place. The human race is a perfect example of a spiral staircase hinged on nothing and going down.
Hey Dubious (good name btw) I liked the above statement you made, especially "there is always something hiding in nothing." Aha! :o How true, sir.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

pilgrim1917 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:00 am
Dubious wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:02 pm
yagmursozluk wrote:why there is something rather than nothing?
...because nothing is even more inconceivable than something aside which there is always something hiding in nothing. Personally, I prefer nothing over something since the something you get is not usually what you wanted in the first place. The human race is a perfect example of a spiral staircase hinged on nothing and going down.
Hey Dubious (good name btw) I liked the above statement you made, especially "there is always something hiding in nothing." Aha! :o How true, sir.
Nice of you to say so. I completely forgot this post. Now that you reminded me of it, I confess, it barely sounds familiar though still of the same opinion. If all of reality, the seen and the unseen completely dissolves into a virtual Nothing, impurities will remain which I like to think of as infinitesimal probability nuggets. Metaphorically, it is that which fertilizes Nothing into Something. What we behold as reality are only the surface ripples of a rooted abstraction. Of course, this is all just playful conjecture, nothing more!
pilgrim1917

Post by pilgrim1917 »

Dubious wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:22 am Nice of you to say so. I completely forgot this post. Now that you reminded me of it, I confess, it barely sounds familiar though still of the same opinion. If all of reality, the seen and the unseen completely dissolves into a virtual Nothing, impurities will remain which I like to think of as infinitesimal probability nuggets. Metaphorically, it is that which fertilizes Nothing into Something. What we behold as reality are only the surface ripples of a rooted abstraction. Of course, this is all just playful conjecture, nothing more!
You're welcome that I said so, and I am welcome to saying so, as I said so. :roll: Forgive me, I love the absurd. You're response to yag's question, why something instead of nothing? it smacked of the absurd; yet it was a good answer I thought. Even logical. Do you know the play "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead"? Great modern absurd play. There's a line in the play, "No matter where you go, there you are." To me it's akin to your reply to yag because it follows from your comment or the truth inherent in your comment. Cheers!