london tea + philosophy

Philosophy Now meetup groups.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

jetsetjason

london tea + philosophy

Post by jetsetjason »

If you fancy being an assistant, and organising tea and philosophy meetings, just join and ask to be an assistant !

http://tea.meetup.com/154/?gj=sj5

tea IS the answer !
hajrafradi

Re: london tea + philosophy

Post by hajrafradi »

I wouldn't miss tea for all the tea in China!! Or is that for all the tea in china. Hm. Which is it? I'll let the philosophers decide that question.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

hajrafradi wrote:I wouldn't miss tea for all the tea in China!! Or is that for all the tea in china. Hm. Which is it? I'll let the philosophers decide that question.

There is a lot of tea in China, but, sadly these days, tea is mostly found in stoneware, and seldom in china.
So I suppose it must be "China".
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
hajrafradi wrote:I wouldn't miss tea for all the tea in China!! Or is that for all the tea in china. Hm. Which is it? I'll let the philosophers decide that question.

There is a lot of tea in China, but, sadly these days, tea is mostly found in stoneware, and seldom in china.
Vintage bone china tea sets are currently in great demand. Or so I was told by the lady selling single cup/ saucer with fresh flowers in, at my local hospital.
I inherited a few of the monstrous 'gold'-rimmed ones...was gonna give them to charity, was encouraged to sell them but still they lie there all boxed-up. I would use them, but worry about the paint...isn't there lead in there somewhere?

I think the idea of a philosophical tea party is yummy. Who's bringing the cucumber sandwiches ?

That reminded me of in-house selling of products, like Tupperware, Avon calling...
Who could sell philosophy in someone else's house ?
hajrafradi

Post by hajrafradi »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:

Tea freely occurring in nature is most often found in little tin containers that pee.

The British have perfected tea then ruined it with adding milk to it.

The Chinese perfected tea, then ruined it by making it pee.
hajrafradi

Post by hajrafradi »

marjoram_blues wrote: Who could sell philosophy in someone else's house ?
That lady that almost sold you the English bone china cup and saucer at the hospital.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

The standard tea-cup is simply too small. I use a big mug that carries 1 pint - that is 20oz to out American cousins.

Black tea, as drunk by the British, is not loved in China. It is made from the same tea as green tea except that it is subjected to a damn good thrashing until bruised - than allowed to oxidise, and go off a bit before being finally dried for use
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:The standard tea-cup is simply too small. I use a big mug that carries 1 pint - that is 20oz to out American cousins.

Black tea, as drunk by the British, is not loved in China. It is made from the same tea as green tea except that it is subjected to a damn good thrashing until bruised - than allowed to oxidise, and go off a bit before being finally dried for use
I bought an unusually large bone china tea cup. It's much tastier in bone china. I've also noticed that beer tastes better in a thin, tall, fluted glass.

Anyways, God bless the Duchess of Bedford and Earl Grey.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Dalek Prime wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:The standard tea-cup is simply too small. I use a big mug that carries 1 pint - that is 20oz to out American cousins.

I bought an unusually large bone china tea cup. It's much tastier in bone china. I've also noticed that beer tastes better in a thin, tall, fluted glass.

And I want to know where you bought a boner of this size

...and if you believe that the Earl of Sandwich really made it up.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

marjoram_blues wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:

And I want to know where you bought a boner of this size

...and if you believe,, that the Earl of Sandwich really made it up.
Company named HomeSense in Toronto. They had them individually boxed. Beautiful ones too, not rubbish.

Didn't Sandwich set the trend, though? I know the Duchess of Bedford did. It's not the first time, likely. But it did become the fashion or trend.

Badminton, croquet, little sandwiches and cakes, and tea, all on a nice sunny summer's day. Lovely.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Dalek Prime wrote:

True. Straight glass, not those knobbly hunks of glass.
If you are a whimp and can't take a 20oz pint one of these in next best.
But never one of these.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Absolutely. Or this one, on a really hot day. :)