Hello, - again.

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Post Reply
thedoc
Posts: 6473
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:18 pm

Hello, - again.

Post by thedoc »

I'm retired, sometimes very tired, especially after the grandkids have been here awhile. I'm an ex-Jr Hi shop teacher, ex-Hobby shop owner, ex-draftsman, ex-machine opperator, and now a full time Grandfather. I started reading philosophy in H.S. a long time ago, and watching Shakespeare. In college I took Philosophy 101 and at one point I was explainint the difference between Subjectivism and Objectivism to a student who said that she was going to major in Philosophy. I thought it was ironic that a 'Shoppie' was explaining philosophy to her. Just finished watching Polar Express with 2 of my grandkids, the grandson would ask to watch it every day he was with me for about 3+ years, and now the grandaughter is asking to watch it. I guess I'll see it a few hundred more times. Of special note, I have another grandson whose name is followed by XV.
User avatar
The Voice of Time
Posts: 2234
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:18 pm
Location: Norway

Re: Hello, - again.

Post by The Voice of Time »

Ludwig the XV?

Welcome then :) Doc. Sounds a bit military to call you doc ^^

So you're a grandpa, well though you've obviously read philosophy a long time ago I once heard that people of old age has a great inclination for philosophy. Would be interested to see you in the field of battling arguments ;)
User avatar
John
Posts: 738
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:05 pm
Location: Near Glasgow, Scotland

Re: Hello, - again.

Post by John »

Welcome to the forum (do we call you "thedoc" or just "doc"?).

Better expand the kids section of your DVD collection or you'll be sick of Polar Express soon :lol: Although I do realise that kids can become fixated on particular movies even when they have a lot of choices as my youngest sister used to watch Ralph Bakshi's animated version of The Lord of Rings pretty much every day for, well, quite some time.
User avatar
John
Posts: 738
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:05 pm
Location: Near Glasgow, Scotland

Re: Hello, - again.

Post by John »

The Voice of Time wrote:So you're a grandpa, well though you've obviously read philosophy a long time ago I once heard that people of old age has a great inclination for philosophy. Would be interested to see you in the field of battling arguments ;)
Just because he's retired and had grandkids doesn't necessarily mean he's in old age you know.
thedoc
Posts: 6473
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: Hello, - again.

Post by thedoc »

John wrote:
The Voice of Time wrote:So you're a grandpa, well though you've obviously read philosophy a long time ago I once heard that people of old age has a great inclination for philosophy. Would be interested to see you in the field of battling arguments ;)
Just because he's retired and had grandkids doesn't necessarily mean he's in old age you know.

10 years ago I insisted on having one candle on my cake for each year. My wife made a cake that was much too small and when all 55 candles were lit, the flame merged into one big flame for a few seconds till I blew them out. the candles in the middle were melted all the way down to the plastic holders that had started to melt as well. 5 years later we did it again but some of the candles were in seperate candle sticks not on the cake itself, no drama that time. This year my wife and daughter refused altogether. We are in a new house and I think she is afraid of fire, for good reason.
thedoc
Posts: 6473
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: Hello, - again.

Post by thedoc »

As I stated above, I owned a hobby shop and people would bring model trains for me to repair, I happened to be very good at it and some of my friends started calling me thedoc, as in the train doctor. Since then I have used that as my internet I.D. and decided that I should addopt a self inflicted PhD. in 'Microferroquineology'. For my friends 'thedoc' is fine.
User avatar
The Voice of Time
Posts: 2234
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:18 pm
Location: Norway

Re: Hello, - again.

Post by The Voice of Time »

John wrote:
The Voice of Time wrote:So you're a grandpa, well though you've obviously read philosophy a long time ago I once heard that people of old age has a great inclination for philosophy. Would be interested to see you in the field of battling arguments ;)
Just because he's retired and had grandkids doesn't necessarily mean he's in old age you know.
no, but my guess was quite fair ;)
User avatar
Hjarloprillar
Posts: 952
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:36 am
Location: Sol sector.

Re: Hello, - again.

Post by Hjarloprillar »

thedoc wrote:As I stated above, I owned a hobby shop and people would bring model trains for me to repair, I happened to be very good at it and some of my friends started calling me thedoc, as in the train doctor. Since then I have used that as my internet I.D. and decided that I should addopt a self inflicted PhD. in 'Microferroquineology'. For my friends 'thedoc' is fine.
How is it i missed this. [probably my blindness]
I was the one who came to modlel shop and said.. any diorama work?
I painted figures and armies.. from greece to Napoleonics to US or SS 1/ 35in russia to warhammer.
Trains are cool.
I preferred figures machines ships.
My HMS Victory was a glory to see.
As was my Grumman f-14

Be well 'doctor love'

Prill
reasonvemotion
Posts: 1643
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 1:22 am

Re: Hello, - again.

Post by reasonvemotion »

Doc this is for you.

A long time ago, when I was in love with my writer BF, he took me to visit a friend of his who also loved the poet Hafiz. The man and his wife were home together. We sat down talking about poetry religion all that stuff and I noticed the man was sitting at his desk, looking out the window, his face filled with yearning. His wife talking to us, oblivous, offering a glass of wine, it was a beautiful day and when we left I asked my BF why the man was so sad. He told me he had been in love for many years with another woman, but would not leave his wife as it would hurt her too much.

This yearning in the man's face, Doc, you have in your "voice", maybe not for the same reasons, but it is there.

This sounds highly audacious. My apologies.
User avatar
Hjarloprillar
Posts: 952
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:36 am
Location: Sol sector.

Re: Hello, - again.

Post by Hjarloprillar »

reasonvemotion wrote:Doc this is for you.

A long time ago, when I was in love with my writer BF, he took me to visit a friend of his who also loved the poet Hafiz. The man and his wife were home together. We sat down talking about poetry religion all that stuff and I noticed the man was sitting at his desk, looking out the window, his face filled with yearning. His wife talking to us, oblivous, offering a glass of wine, it was a beautiful day and when we left I asked my BF why the man was so sad. He told me he had been in love for many years with another woman, but would not leave his wife as it would hurt her too much.

This yearning in the man's face, Doc, you have in your "voice", maybe not for the same reasons, but it is there.

This sounds highly audacious. My apologies.
That is one of the best true tales i have read in years. Well told.

prill
thedoc
Posts: 6473
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: Hello, - again.

Post by thedoc »

reasonvemotion wrote: Doc this is for you.

This yearning in the man's face, Doc, you have in your "voice", maybe not for the same reasons, but it is there.

This sounds highly audacious. My apologies.
No need to apologize for the truth. There are aspects of my live that I regret and have considered what it would be like if I had done things differently. However one day or afternoon with my grandchildren, even the grandaughter who is stubborn, ornery as catshit, and the sweetest little girl I know, and I wouldn't change anything, because I don't know what I would loose. About a year ago I was changing her diaper and I promised myself that I was going to be there to help change her child's diaper. Sometimes that seems like a lot to ask for.
reasonvemotion
Posts: 1643
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 1:22 am

Re: Hello, - again.

Post by reasonvemotion »

You are a kind man, Doc.
Lone Wolf
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Hello, - again.

Post by Lone Wolf »

Doc,

My life has been a bit different. I spent my entire career working in one aspect of Quality Management or another. I hold a Master's in Quality Systems and spent most of my career building and installing quality systems in various manufacturing operations.

During mid-life crisis I fell in love with another woman, but would not give up my wife and kids for her. However, I have no regrets about my decision and never spend any time thinking about what might have been. I made my decision and I choose not to live a life regretting any of my decisions. That I made some mistakes in my life is probably true, but regrets are a waste of my time and energy.
thedoc
Posts: 6473
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: Hello, - again.

Post by thedoc »

Lone Wolf, like you I believe, what I have gained, far outweighs what I may have lost.

I think I missed my mid-life crisis, I think I just skipped ahead. Isn't being a grandpa like a second childhood? Except that I was the primary other care-giver for 3 of them, and for a time 2 lived with me, so I couldn't spoil them like the typical grandpa, or it would come right back on me. Should I feel cheated? I really can't think of anything more special than holding a child and rocking them to sleep, it's more peaceful than anything else I can think of.
User avatar
sideshow
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:57 am

Re: Hello, - again.

Post by sideshow »

thedoc wrote: Just finished watching Polar Express with 2 of my grandkids, the grandson would ask to watch it every day he was with me for about 3+ years, and now the grandaughter is asking to watch it. I guess I'll see it a few hundred more times.
That's wonderful. I'm happy for you.
As I read this thread starting from from the bottom up, when I saw your comments on fixing toy trains I was trying to remember the name of this movie.
Post Reply