New member intro

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Aspiring Animist

New member intro

Post by Aspiring Animist »

G'day

My user name reflects two things about me. The first is that I accept the fundamental premises of animism, while acknowledging the term is out of date. I cling to it for reasons of powerful personal affection. The second is that I do not see my self as an animist. I am too conditioned by the thought habits of my culture - Christian and materialistic - to be other than an aspirant.

I am presently going through a period of rethinking - revisiting Enlightenment thought and reframing ideas of the spiritual in the context of contemporary science. My background has been decidedly esoteric - Western Mystery Tradition, Wicca, Eastern religion and philosophy (all very 70s). I have done a deep dive into Christianity as well - and important exercise, given its influence. I am almost cured.

For the past 12+ months I have been reading on organisational and social psychology in an effort to better understand Inclusion and Diversity (as a person with disability) - just adding evolutionary psychology at the moment.

I am particularly interested in Thomas Campbell's My Big Toe (and other Monroe Institute writers') perspective and have written a series of essays on 'The Future of Human Spirituality' to reflect on this and the role of science in guiding how we develop a 'modern' notion of spirituality.

I am not into dogma. What I think and say is based on my own struggle for understanding. I don't expect, or want, others to agree. I joined the forum in the hope of finding others who are open to sharing their struggle.