Hi from Arlington (soon to be Williamsburg), Virginia, USA

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Mike Strand

Hi from Arlington (soon to be Williamsburg), Virginia, USA

Post by Mike Strand »

Retired from a career in mathematical statistics, three daughters, three grandkids. Just started reading and enjoying Philosophy Now, which I found a couple of months ago at Barnes and Noble bookstore, magazine rack. Grateful that it got me thinking and writing again about "thinking", or "concept engineering" -- of course, I mean "philosophy". I've submitted a couple of letters to the editor and a few articles, which you may or may not see in future.

I'll try to make a habit of thinking before I write.

Expect to be busy over the next few weeks moving from Arlington to Williamsburg, Virginia, so maybe I'll imagine myself as a British colonist in a time warp.

I've visited Britain twice - in 1986 (a house exchange with a family in Theydon Bois, Epping, just outside of London), and in 1994 (another house exchange with a family in Blandford Forum, and the Theydon Bois family also let us use their house again because they were away). Both visits occurred in August with 2-3 straight weeks of mostly sun and clear, dry air. The natives said we were lucky!

If you ever see me spell "sceptic" as "skeptic", please don't judge me harshly: It's the U.S. spelling.

My basic philosophy: Any belief system that encourages people to treat others with kindness and respect is OK. It's a real challenge to figure out how to do that in many of the situations we face in life. The rest is detail, albeit often interesting: Grist for verbal swordplay, but not for going to war.

Hoping 2010 will be a good year for all of us!
artisticsolution

Re: Hi from Arlington (soon to be Williamsburg), Virginia, USA

Post by artisticsolution »

Hi Mike and welcome!

I found Philospophy Now the same way...Great magazine/great forum!

I visited Williamsburg a few years ago. Beautiful place...saw my first firefly! Stayed in Ford Colony...at least I think that's what it was called. Saw a wild turkey and a sweet little deer too...you are very fortunate to be moving to such a wonderful place!

Anyway....hope you enjoy the forum as much as I have!
nameless

Re: Hi from Arlington (soon to be Williamsburg), Virginia, USA

Post by nameless »

Welcome.
You must have heard about the three statisticians who go hunting- one shoots high, the other shoots low, and the third yells "we got it!"