A friendly forum?

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Pattern-chaser

A friendly forum?

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Over the years, I have earned quite a few descriptive adjectives: father, husband, white, cis male, retired, software designer, autist, armchair philosopher, disabled, lover of music and hi-fi, are just a few.

Many philosophy forums are dominated by ad hominems, straw man attacks and trolling, especially of topics deemed to be 'unscientific'. I would like to hope this one is more devoted to courteous and co-operative discussion, and not debating, where rhetoric can 'win' an argument that ought to be 'lost'. Is this the friendly forum I'm looking for?

Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
FlashDangerpants

Re: A friendly forum?

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Well I don't think you can claim exclusive posession to many of those adjectives here so you ought to find some shared ground somewhere.
Hermit Philosopher

Post by Hermit Philosopher »

Pattern-chaser wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:25 pm Over the years, I have earned quite a few descriptive adjectives: father, husband, white, cis male, retired, software designer, autist, armchair philosopher, disabled, lover of music and hi-fi, are just a few.

Many philosophy forums are dominated by ad hominems, straw man attacks and trolling, especially of topics deemed to be 'unscientific'. I would like to hope this one is more devoted to courteous and co-operative discussion, and not debating, where rhetoric can 'win' an argument that ought to be 'lost'. Is this the friendly forum I'm looking for?

Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Dear Pattern-chaser,

I like your user-name!
I’m not sure I’d call it a “friendly” forum but it’s no worse than others of its kind and one can always “hide” comments by users that one does not feel contribute constructively in conversations - it prevents one from getting sucked into their echo chambers.

Happy discussing!

Humbly,
Hermit
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Pattern-chaser wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:25 pm Over the years, I have earned quite a few descriptive adjectives: father, husband, white, cis male, retired, software designer, autist, armchair philosopher, disabled, lover of music and hi-fi, are just a few.

Many philosophy forums are dominated by ad hominems, straw man attacks and trolling, especially of topics deemed to be 'unscientific'. *I would like to hope this one is more devoted to courteous and co-operative discussion, and not debating, where rhetoric can 'win' an argument that ought to be 'lost'. Is this the friendly forum I'm looking for?

Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
*Well, you can hope, just don't hold your breath waitin'.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Pattern-chaser wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:25 pm
That's the trouble with philosophers, they will quite often also insist on being human beings. Are you of a particularly sensitive nature, or something?
roydop

Post by roydop »

Harbal wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:57 pm
That's the trouble with philosophers, they will quite often also insist on being human beings. Are you of a particularly sensitive nature, or something?
No it is not. There are a few insecure, ego-bound folk here that need to attack anything that threatens their world view.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

roydop wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:14 pm No it is not. There are a few insecure, ego-bound folk here that need to attack anything that threatens their world view.
I knew you have the courage to admit what you and DAM are doing.
roydop

Post by roydop »

Iwannaplato wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:16 pm
roydop wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:14 pm No it is not. There are a few insecure, ego-bound folk here that need to attack anything that threatens their world view.
Child, hell approaches. Best spend your energy preparing (Spiritually) rather than being a troll on the internet.

Or whatever. Everyone gets exactly what they deserve.

Remember this child.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

roydop wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:29 pm
Child, hell approaches. Best spend your energy preparing (Spiritually) rather than being a troll on the internet.

Remember this child.
I'll move this where it belongs.
viewtopic.php?p=593227#p593227
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

roydop wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:29 pm

Remember this child.
Such an enlightened being.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

roydop wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:14 pm
No it is not. There are a few insecure, ego-bound folk here that need to attack anything that threatens their world view.
And there's a handful of guru-types lookin' to plant their seeds in your head: hope your gate-keepin' skills are sharp or you might get suckered in...ain't that right, DAM.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Well I don't have a fixed world view, so it's difficult for anyone to attack it. You, on the other hand, seem to be totally invested in your world view to the point where blocking out anything that contradicts it has become essential to you. And if putting a load of videos on Youtube to show the world how significant Roy's views are isn't an ego driven action, I don't know what is. :roll:
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Harbal wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:43 pm
Well I don't have a fixed world view, so it's difficult for anyone to attack it. You, on the other hand, seem to be totally invested in your world view to the point where blocking out anything that contradicts it has become essential to you. And if putting a load of videos on Youtube to show the world how significant Roy's views are isn't an ego driven action, I don't know what is. :roll:
Or calling himself the world's greatest philosopher
roy dopson is the greatest philosopher of all time and the wisdom he shares continues to go unrecognized by academia

If I had hair I would be pulling it out
or in his self-description on twitter
Spiritual mentor. Seer (i see things others do not)

or the ego centric presumption in telling people if they don't 'get it' after watching his two fairly short videos then they don't want to get it
or
roy dopson understands the true nature of reality better than anyone who has ever lived

roy sees the process that gives rise to ALL, at the most fundamental level describable
yes, referring to himself in the third person. Better than the Buddha, better than Adi Shankara, better than....well, all the others. They must have some kind of reincarnation round robin playoff, those masters.

If you're gonna lie, lie big. Other people have big egos.
Last edited by Iwannaplato on Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

By hijacking innocent new people's hello threads to make everything about themselves.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:02 pm

By hijacking innocent new people's hello threads to make everything about themselves.
I'm guessin' Pattern-chaser done run for the hills already...probably a wise choice.