A friendly forum?

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dontaskme

Re: A friendly forum?

Post by Dontaskme »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:41 pm And there's a handful of guru-types lookin' to plant their seeds in your head: hope your gate-keepin' skills are sharp or you might get suckered in...ain't that right, DAM.

I don't think that's actually what the types are doing. I'm more inclined to think some types are just dropping breadcrumbs, and that those who are hungry will pick them up, and those who are already self-satisfied will ignore them.

Fake people try finding to have an image to maintain.
Real people just don't care cause they exist as a person as they actually are.

But it's all metaphor, when it comes to image. Images are simply the reflections of the imageless. It's all ''thoughts'' frozen in time.

Pattern-chaser

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:25 pm Many philosophy forums are dominated by ad hominems, straw man attacks and trolling, especially of topics deemed to be 'unscientific'. I would like to hope this one is more devoted to courteous and co-operative discussion, and not debating, where rhetoric can 'win' an argument that ought to be 'lost'. Is this the friendly forum I'm looking for?
Harbal wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:57 pm That's the trouble with philosophers, they will quite often also insist on being human beings.
🙂👍

Harbal wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:57 pm Are you of a particularly sensitive nature, or something?
I'd like to think so 😉, but no, not in the sense you mean it. My point is a very simple one. I came here to discuss ideas, and to seek learning, knowledge, wisdom and understanding, if they are here to be found. I didn't sign up to indulge in willy-waving competitions with ego-terrorists. If there are too many of the latter here, why would I stay? Why would anyone? I'm old enough now that I don't want to waste the time I have left fighting with those who have yet to reach maturity, regardless of their age.

I'm fed up with adversarial debates with idiots when I could indulge in enjoyable and useful co-operative discussion instead. If that makes me particularly sensitive, then so be it.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Pattern-chaser wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:58 pm I'm fed up with adversarial debates with idiots when I could indulge in enjoyable and useful co-operative discussion instead. If that makes me particularly sensitive, then so be it.
I think to some degree it depends on the topic. But in general philosophy forums seem to be part of the wave in society in general.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Pattern-chaser wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:58 pm My point is a very simple one. I came here to discuss ideas, and to seek learning, knowledge, wisdom and understanding, if they are here to be found. I didn't sign up to indulge in willy-waving competitions with ego-terrorists.
If you stay long enough to work out who is worth engaging with, and who just likes to wave his willy about, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to have the kind of interactions you are looking for. As long as you don't have a know-it-all, I'm-always-right, approach, which I'm sure you haven't, I think you'll be fine.
I don't want to waste the time I have left fighting with those who have yet to reach maturity, regardless of their age.
You should probably avoid me, then. :)
I'm fed up with adversarial debates with idiots when I could indulge in enjoyable and useful co-operative discussion instead.
You'll soon get to know who the idiots are.
Pattern-chaser

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Harbal wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:37 pm
Pattern-chaser wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:58 pm My point is a very simple one. I came here to discuss ideas, and to seek learning, knowledge, wisdom and understanding, if they are here to be found. I didn't sign up to indulge in willy-waving competitions with ego-terrorists.
If you stay long enough to work out who is worth engaging with, and who just likes to wave his willy about, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to have the kind of interactions you are looking for. As long as you don't have a know-it-all, I'm-always-right, approach, which I'm sure you haven't, I think you'll be fine.
I don't want to waste the time I have left fighting with those who have yet to reach maturity, regardless of their age.
You should probably avoid me, then. :)
I'm fed up with adversarial debates with idiots when I could indulge in enjoyable and useful co-operative discussion instead.
You'll soon get to know who the idiots are.
🙂 Thanks! 🙂 I'll hang around for a while, then, and see how it goes. 🙂

Thanks to all who took the trouble to reply to my introduction! 👍🙂
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

The first rule of fight club is: we do not talk about fight club.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Pattern-chaser wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:25 pm Many philosophy forums are dominated by ad hominems,
I agree and I was disgusted when someone threw that my way. How dare they accuse me of having sex with a deceased homosexual.
Pattern-chaser wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:25 pmI would like to hope this one is more devoted to courteous and co-operative discussion, and not debating, where rhetoric can 'win' an argument that ought to be 'lost'. Is this the friendly forum I'm looking for?

Pattern-chaser
So long as you are not intelligent, you will find people on the forum extremely friendly.

Hence, I'm in love with all of them, and so is promethean75 - in fact he's ecstatic.
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

Morpheus wrote:Welcome to the real word, Neo
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

So Roydop is a real person :lol: Well he has a nice voice even if he only uses it to say a load of codswallop.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Agent Smith wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:43 am
R U CERTAIN OF THAT?
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

attofishpi wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:44 pm
Agent Smith wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:43 am
R U CERTAIN OF THAT?
What an interesting question!
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

Here is a hand
th-878895034.jpg
th-878895034.jpg (12.01 KiB) Viewed 2497 times

Debate.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

promethean75 wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:05 pm Here is a hand

th-878895034.jpg

Debate.
that is the skeleton of Kermit the Frog... no debate...

-Imp
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

promethean75 wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:05 pm Here is a hand

th-878895034.jpg

Debate.

Le tretchery des images

Ce n’est pas une main
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »