Hi Everyone!

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

fmillo

Hi Everyone!

Post by fmillo »

My name is Florian Millo, Ph.D. Student, France.

I study physics, and one of my passions is philosophy. In my free time, I read philosophy in general and philosophy of science.

I joined this forum since I like discussing different topics in philosophy and understanding the reality of things.

My main focus is the Theory of Knowledge (Epistemology) and Logic. Indeed, I also like discussing Metaphysics, Ethics, Philosophy of Language, and Philosophy of Mind.

Hope you enjoy discussing and questioning with me the 'noumenon' and the phenomenon.
Veganman

Re: Hi Everyone!

Post by Veganman »

Hello Florian, my partner and I live on the UK and we're mainly interested in ethical philosophy, which is why we're both vegan. I'm also interested in astrophysics, mainly cosmology. What branch of physics are you most interested in?
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Bienvenue.
bahman

Post by bahman »

fmillo wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:36 am My name is Florian Millo, Ph.D. Student, France.

I study physics, and one of my passions is philosophy. In my free time, I read philosophy in general and philosophy of science.

I joined this forum since I like discussing different topics in philosophy and understanding the reality of things.

My main focus is the Theory of Knowledge (Epistemology) and Logic. Indeed, I also like discussing Metaphysics, Ethics, Philosophy of Language, and Philosophy of Mind.

Hope you enjoy discussing and questioning with me the 'noumenon' and the phenomenon.
I am a physicist too. I left physics for philosophy. Welcome to the forum.
fmillo

Post by fmillo »

Veganman wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:05 pm Hello Florian, my partner and I live on the UK and we're mainly interested in ethical philosophy, which is why we're both vegan. I'm also interested in astrophysics, mainly cosmology. What branch of physics are you most interested in?
Hi,

Being vegan is very healthy. I am also converging to vegetarian then hopefully, I go vegan.

I am mostly interested in quantum mechanics. Many interpretations are there and I try to understand what best interprets nature.

Cosmology is very exciting and I happen to think about certain issues from time to time.

Like the direction of time. You know, the direction of time is a thermodynamic phenomenon and hence a statistical one. You can go on and read the article from Carlo Rovelli - Back to Reichenbach (Reichenbach wrote a book with the title: The direction of time).

Florian
Last edited by fmillo on Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fmillo

Post by fmillo »

bahman wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:20 pm
fmillo wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:36 am My name is Florian Millo, Ph.D. Student, France.

Hi,

Thank you for welcoming me.

I would like to know, What was the reason for leaving physics and choosing philosophy instead?
Veganman

Post by Veganman »

fmillo wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:11 pm
Veganman wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:05 pm Hello Florian, my partner and I live on the UK and we're mainly interested in ethical philosophy, which is why we're both vegan. I'm also interested in astrophysics, mainly cosmology. What branch of physics are you most interested in?
Hi,

Being vegan is very healthy. I am also converging to vegetarian then hopefully, I go vegan.

I am mostly interested in quantum mechanics. Many interpretations are there and I try to understand what best interprets nature.

Cosmology is very exciting and I happen to think about certain issues from time to time.

Like the direction of time. You know, the direction of time is a thermodynamic phenomenon and hence a statistical one. You can go on and read the article from Carlo Rovelli - Back to Reichenbach (Reichenbach wrote a book with the title: The direction of time).

Florian
Hi Florian, I guess it must be difficult going veggie or vegan in France. Not so bad if you have a partner who is a vegetarian or a vegan, but if your partner is a meat eater it's difficult. If you want any advice on going veggie you can email us if you want. My wife's name is Kate and she's very keen on cooking. Regarding time, have you read the book by J.Richard Gott called: "Time Travel in Einstein's Universe?" I think you'd find it very interesting. I'm also interested in what's called Dyson spheres, have you heard of them. Finally, what part of France do you live in?
fmillo

Post by fmillo »

Veganman wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:47 pm
fmillo wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:11 pm
Hi,

Florian
Hi Florian, I guess it must be difficult going veggie or vegan in France. Not so bad if you have a partner who is a vegetarian or a vegan, but if your partner is a meat eater it's difficult. If you want any advice on going veggie you can email us if you want. My wife's name is Kate and she's very keen on cooking. Regarding time, have you read the book by J.Richard Gott called: "Time Travel in Einstein's Universe?" I think you'd find it very interesting. I'm also interested in what's called Dyson spheres, have you heard of them. Finally, what part of France do you live in?
Thank you! You are very kind :)

Totally agree, it is difficult to go veggie when you live in Paris. I will email you shortly.

I never heard of J. Richard Gott's book, but I searched it and seems interesting and very helpful. I will have a deeper look afterward reading the books I have planned.

Also, for the Dysons sphere I have heard once but never had an immediate curiosity to go deeper since I have other concepts to learn and grow my knowledge.
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

Hi Florian, welcome. Like bahman, I too abandoned physics for philosophy, but such a long time ago that I've forgotten most of my physics now.
Astro Cat

Post by Astro Cat »

Hi fmillo, physicist here as well. I’ll be finished with my MS this fall, researching in astrophysics. Seems like we get a fair number if physics people here. Welcome aboard!
Astro Cat

Post by Astro Cat »

RickLewis wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:55 pm Hi Florian, welcome. Like bahman, I too abandoned physics for philosophy, but such a long time ago that I've forgotten most of my physics now.

Hi to both of you, didn’t know we had so many physics people here. Finishing my MS this fall and starting PhD, I’ve researched constraining dark energy and galaxy quiescence. What were you two into?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Astro Cat wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:04 pm
RickLewis wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:55 pm Hi Florian, welcome. Like bahman, I too abandoned physics for philosophy, but such a long time ago that I've forgotten most of my physics now.

Hi to both of you, didn’t know we had so many physics people here. Finishing my MS this fall and starting PhD, I’ve researched constraining dark energy and galaxy quiescence. What were you two into?
I got my PhD in condensed matter physics but I study particle physics in very depth. What do you mean by " What were you two into?"?