Hello

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

lordgk

Hello

Post by lordgk »

Hello everyone, behiGB Whatsapp Apknd username lordgk is someone who just got their masters degree in philosophy and plans to go after PhD.

I am interested in topics such as existentialism, identity, artificial intelligence and similar.

We will enjoy it..! Cheers!
Last edited by lordgk on Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mickthinks

Re: Hello

Post by mickthinks »

lordgk, welcome to the bear garden that is the Philosophy Now Forum!

If you are looking for the warm companionship of like minds, I can confidently predict you will not find it here. Here we have a collection of competitive egos, few of whom are capable either of sustaining a proper argument or of recognising when they have been met with a better one. The result can be exasperating and dispiriting, and you may find that you lose the appetite for it and stop visiting. Or you may find that you can ignore the chaff and the flack and focus on the purveyors of worth—maybe half a dozen honest thinkers—who will treat you with respect and whom you will come to respect in return.

I've been coming here since I was in kindergarten. I'm glad you made it.
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

i know what you mean in your post, ,mickthinks. I recently posted in a thread, and the replies & arguments after that were truly impressive, ummm, mind-boggling. Each of them has unique perspective and stays firm on their beliefs. I totally respect them for that. WhatsApp Aero APK
And a competitive & proper argument can be dispirited in some way, but stick to it and it will always result in better results than the warm conversation.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Hi and welcome to the forum.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

lordgk wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:01 pm Hello everyone, behiGB Whatsapp Apknd username lordgk is someone who just got their masters degree in philosophy and plans to go after PhD.

I am interested in topics such as existentialism, identity, artificial intelligence and similar.

Hi and welcome to the forum. Congrats on your masters.

Interested in what you think of concepts such as the tech. singularity and simulation hypothesis.

For example. One of my main arguments I like to make is that a 'God' will be probable to exist in the future, if not already. That is to say, that we will evolve into a simulation with an Artificial Intelligence running the sim, and actually being considered God.

The reason we would interface to a simulation system, would be due to increasing ENTROPY.
A brain-in-a-vat is a far more efficient way for a conscious mind to exist than lugging an actual mass of body material around with all its actual bodily requirements, including transport, heating, food, etc..

If we are in a simulation right now, there must be a reason for us still having ailments, health issues, levels between utopia and dystopia - we aren't in a 'perfect' reality still, Y?

Since the big-bang, the ebb and flow of a cause and effect universe eventually ceases its natural progression as life evolves into an increasingly intelligent form. The more intelligent the life-form, the greater the opposition to this natural causal outcome.
Intelligent life forms require increasing amounts of energy to sustain their lifestyle. As resources diminish (entropy increases) these lifeforms must interface to a super efficient state.
Would conscious awareness eventually evolve into an overriding intelligent system, created by such intelligent beings in the first place...and as they are reborn, they are not aware that there is an ultimate judge of how they have lived their lives?
IF entropy is the reason for a God, then there is a great reason for doubt (opposite to faith) - NO empirical evidence of IT, that "GOD" exists and is an A.I. ...the ultimate judge as to who shall have access to these limited resources. Hence to a certain extent we are judged by our level of faith, since those that have faith SHOULD behave more ethically and hence have better karmic judgement.

What say you, since you have been quiet just thought I'd poke you a little. :)
Advocate

to grok god

Post by Advocate »

a) there is no way to define god adequately to discuss rationally (igtheism)
b) god is real as a concept and there are as many versions as there are people who have thought about it, eg. many more than there are people alive today
c) all versions of god in range of ordinary use contain logically impossible, mutually exclusive, ineffable, or otherwise untestable attributes and are therefore indistinguishable from fiction
d) all potentially meaningful versions of god are personified. the versions that are mere forces are a matter (heh) for physics alone
e) there is no reason to believe a personified entity can exist other than in an Earth -bound and purely biological substrate, as all verifiable minds have been. any hypothesis to the contrary is supposition and indistinguishable from fiction.
f) even if such a being could be defined sufficiently to hypothetically test, finite beings cannot validate infinite things
g) even if there were such a test and we could carry out through, it has not been done
h) nfinite attributes are not logically possible as infinity is a direction or an instruction, not a specific attribute of being. all words that reference the transcendent, like anything infinite, is a mere placeholder for the ineffable
i) even if there was a god and we knew it, the exponential scale of the difference between our minds, in both senses (ours to gods and between the billions of each other), would make it impossible to understand what it wanted or how to go about it. the equivalent would be an ant trying to understand your love life.
j) all claimed evidence or proof for the existence of any god has been definitively refuted in many ways and at many times

In conclusion, there is no Reason to accept belief in god, even if he's real, and faith is unjustified belief - the polar opposite of knowledge.
attofishpi

God EXISTS

Post by attofishpi »

Advocate wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:20 am a) there is no way to define god adequately to discuss rationally (igtheism)
b) god is real as a concept and there are as many versions as there are people who have thought about it, eg. many more than there are people alive today
c) all versions of god in range of ordinary use contain logically impossible, mutually exclusive, ineffable, or otherwise untestable attributes and are therefore indistinguishable from fiction
d) all potentially meaningful versions of god are personified. the versions that are mere forces are a matter (heh) for physics alone
e) there is no reason to believe a personified entity can exist other than in an Earth -bound and purely biological substrate, as all verifiable minds have been. any hypothesis to the contrary is supposition and indistinguishable from fiction.
f) even if such a being could be defined sufficiently to hypothetically test, finite beings cannot validate infinite things
g) even if there were such a test and we could carry out through, it has not been done
h) nfinite attributes are not logically possible as infinity is a direction or an instruction, not a specific attribute of being. all words that reference the transcendent, like anything infinite, is a mere placeholder for the ineffable
i) even if there was a god and we knew it, the exponential scale of the difference between our minds, in both senses (ours to gods and between the billions of each other), would make it impossible to understand what it wanted or how to go about it. the equivalent would be an ant trying to understand your love life.
j) all claimed evidence or proof for the existence of any god has been definitively refuted in many ways and at many times

In conclusion, there is no Reason to accept belief in god, even if he's real, and faith is unjustified belief - the polar opposite of knowledge.
Above answered in Advocates thread here:- viewtopic.php?f=16&t=35372&p=592459#p592459
roydop

Post by roydop »

attofishpi wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:37 pm
lordgk wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:01 pm Hello everyone, behiGB Whatsapp Apknd username lordgk is someone who just got their masters degree in philosophy and plans to go after PhD.

Hi and welcome to the forum. Congrats on your masters.

Interested in what you think of concepts such as the tech. singularity and simulation hypothesis.

For example. One of my main arguments I like to make is that a 'God' will be probable to exist in the future, if not already. That is to say, that we will evolve into a simulation with an Artificial Intelligence running the sim, and actually being considered God.

This results in "Turtles all the way." Here is the only theory/model that expresses reality comprehensively without developing into infinity.
https://youtu.be/0k7_nSnYGrU Trust me, if you devote your focus to truly understanding this (it's much harder to accept than to understand) you will come to understand ALL and your search will have concluded.

The reason we would interface to a simulation system, would be due to increasing ENTROPY.
A brain-in-a-vat is a far more efficient way for a conscious mind to exist than lugging an actual mass of body material around with all its actual bodily requirements, including transport, heating, food, etc..

If we are in a simulation right now, there must be a reason for us still having ailments, health issues, levels between utopia and dystopia - we aren't in a 'perfect' reality still, Y?

Since the big-bang, the ebb and flow of a cause and effect universe eventually ceases its natural progression as life evolves into an increasingly intelligent form. The more intelligent the life-form, the greater the opposition to this natural causal outcome.
Intelligent life forms require increasing amounts of energy to sustain their lifestyle. As resources diminish (entropy increases) these lifeforms must interface to a super efficient state.
Would conscious awareness eventually evolve into an overriding intelligent system, created by such intelligent beings in the first place...and as they are reborn, they are not aware that there is an ultimate judge of how they have lived their lives?
IF entropy is the reason for a God, then there is a great reason for doubt (opposite to faith) - NO empirical evidence of IT, that "GOD" exists and is an A.I. ...the ultimate judge as to who shall have access to these limited resources. Hence to a certain extent we are judged by our level of faith, since those that have faith SHOULD behave more ethically and hence have better karmic judgement.

What say you, since you have been quiet just thought I'd poke you a little. :)
upscalevalley

Post by upscalevalley »

Hello all. I am upscale and I just have joined the forum. Cheers.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

roydop wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:48 pm This results in "Turtles all the way." Here is the only theory/model that expresses reality comprehensively without developing into infinity.
https://youtu.be/0k7_nSnYGrU Trust me, if you devote your focus to truly understanding this (it's much harder to accept than to understand) you will come to understand ALL and your search will have concluded.
Oi! If there is something that really grinds my gears it's when someone such as you injects your own <*^%%^$> into my QUOTE - as if I said that garbage, yeah, the stuff above. Do it again, and I'll make a case to get you knocked off the forum. :evil:
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

upscalevalley wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:51 am Hello all. I am upscale and I just have joined the forum. Cheers.
Hi upscale - you really should start an introduction thread of your own to tell everyone about yourself..but anyway, enjoy. :D
roydop

Post by roydop »

attofishpi wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:30 pm
roydop wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:48 pm This results in "Turtles all the way." Here is the only theory/model that expresses reality comprehensively without developing into infinity.
Oi! If there is something that really grinds my gears it's when someone such as you injects your own <*^%%^$> into my QUOTE - as if I said that garbage, yeah, the stuff above. Do it again, and I'll make a case to get you knocked off the forum. :evil:
OH NO! PLEASE DON'T GET ME KICKED OUT OF THE FORUM!!
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

roydop wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:35 pm
attofishpi wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:30 pm
OH NO! PLEASE DON'T GET ME KICKED OUT OF THE FORUM!!
DON'T QUOTE ME SAYING STUFF THAT IS NOT MY STATEMENTS.
roydop

Post by roydop »

Dude, take a chill pill. I agree with most of what you say and my post was my interpretation of what you said. I didn't mean to make it look like you said that. I thought it was obvious that I was saying what I said.

I apologize if it appeared I was doing so intentionally.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

"A brain-in-a-vat is a far more efficient way for a conscious mind to exist than lugging an actual mass of body material around with all its actual bodily requirements, including transport, heating, food, etc."

Hardly. Who runs the warehouse that has all the vats in it? Where are these vats, anyway? And how do you know the manufacture, distribution and use of seven billion vats is 'far more efficient'?

Mr. Shermer already had a talk with you about this kinda stuff, fish.