Free at the point of delivery...

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

SoundFlyer

Free at the point of delivery...

Post by SoundFlyer »

Hello,
I won't bother giving you any of the 'real' world relative details, only that i think i'm an old existentialist and that i was free at the point of delivery. Since then i've served my time from surprised hunger and outrage at the beginning to state enforced other worldly wisdom now in retirement. My good lady (lol) and moderately adult children have had their own children, one of whom is shortly to go to Oxford to study Philosophy and Politics among other things. Thus proving my long held belief that time does nothing to improve common sense or common science as they call the latest conditioned illusion. Before you gently infer that my use of i rather than I needs attention, may i (sic) inform you that, like the slave whispering in Caesar's ear, it is a tool to remind me that ego taken to extremes can lead to super novas and singularities (in my opinion). Take it or leave it in tact :?
mickthinks

Re: Free at the point of delivery...

Post by mickthinks »

SoundFlyer, welcome to the bear garden that is the Philosophy Now Forum!

If you are looking for the warm companionship of like minds, I can confidently predict you will not find it here. Here we have a collection of competitive egos, few of whom are capable either of sustaining a proper argument or of recognising when they have been met with a better one. The result can be exasperating and dispiriting, and you may find that you lose the appetite for it and stop visiting. Or you may find that you can ignore the chaff and the flack and focus on the purveyors of worth—maybe half a dozen honest thinkers—who will treat you with respect and whom you will come to respect in return.

I've been coming here since I was in kindergarten. I'm glad you made it.
SoundFlyer

Post by SoundFlyer »

mickthinks wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:32 pm SoundFlyer, welcome to the bear garden that is the Philosophy Now Forum!

If you are looking for the warm companionship of like minds, I can confidently predict you will not find it here. Here we have a collection of competitive egos, few of whom are capable either of sustaining a proper argument or of recognising when they have been met with a better one. The result can be exasperating and dispiriting, and you may find that you lose the appetite for it and stop visiting. Or you may find that you can ignore the chaff and the flack and focus on the purveyors of worth—maybe half a dozen honest thinkers—who will treat you with respect and whom you will come to respect in return.

I've been coming here since I was in kindergarten. I'm glad you made it.
...i am relieved to see nothing much has changed in the world at large, in online debates in general nor in this specific forum and humbly request you update your provisional assessment to 6 or 7 honest thinkers. So, cheers, :lol: , i've put the order in - 7 top quality spirits and a pint of bitter for the chaff and flack (to whom it may concern.) Bravo and thank you.

Post by Age »

SoundFlyer wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:19 pm Hello,
I won't bother giving you any of the 'real' world relative details, only that i think i'm an old existentialist and that i was free at the point of delivery. Since then i've served my time from surprised hunger and outrage at the beginning to state enforced other worldly wisdom now in retirement. My good lady (lol) and moderately adult children have had their own children, one of whom is shortly to go to Oxford to study Philosophy and Politics among other things. Thus proving my long held belief that time does nothing to improve common sense or common science as they call the latest conditioned illusion. Before you gently infer that my use of i rather than I needs attention, may i (sic) inform you that, like the slave whispering in Caesar's ear, it is a tool to remind me that ego taken to extremes can lead to super novas and singularities (in my opinion). Take it or leave it in tact :?
But your use of i is PERFECT, well from my perspective anyway.
bahman

Post by bahman »

SoundFlyer wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:19 pm Hello,
Hi and welcome to the forum.