retired philosopher

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Sculptor

Re: retired philosopher

Post by Sculptor »

Terrapin Station wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:33 pm For one, your timeline doesn't make a lot of sense. First, you're only a couple years older than I am. I was born in 1962. I graduated high school in 1980. So you would have graduated in 1978, possibly 1977. Steve Jobs died in 2011. If you retired then after working in the tech industry for thirty years, that would mean you started working in the tech industry by 1982. So you had about four years between high school and the start of that so go to Eton, Stowe and Oxford and have a number of "confused years" including one spent as a Buddhist monk, plus you're somehow a retired philosopher?

It's nice to have someone new on the board, but I'm a bit skeptical of the biography already (and not just for the reasons above). ;-)
I note that he joined 4 years ago, but has only made 4 posts!

He claims to have been the last to graduate with PPP at Oxford, but that course did not terminate until 2010, when he was 50yo!

Psychology, philosophy and physiology (PPP) was a degree at the University of Oxford. It was Oxford's first psychology degree, beginning in 1947, but admitted its last students in October 2010. .
Sculptor

Re: retired philosopher

Post by Sculptor »

ernestm wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:40 am Hello, I joined Philosophy Now! some years ago but never visited the forums. I was born in 1960 in Washington DC to a managing editor in the Washington Post and a debutante with drug addiction problems. Mainly to get food at first, as my mother bought drugs rather than feed me, I earned all paid boarding scholarships to Eton, Stowe, and Oxford University, the last to major in Philosophy, Psychology, and Politics (PPP) which is no longer offered as a major combo. After some confused years, including one as a Buddhist monk, I ended up in silicon valley, where I was an engineer for AT&T, Intel, Oracle and Apple for 30 years. When Steve Jobs died I retired, and I now live in a University party town called Chico in California.

Nice to meet you all. If I say something you think is stupid, please consider asking why I said it before telling me its stupid, because my general experience is that such replies dont understand what I was trying to say in the first place. So that's what I came here to say, so I can point to this message in the future, lol. Have a nice day )
Nive to meet you Forrest Gump