Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

DanDare

Wheeeeeeee......

Post by DanDare »

Interesting to find these forums.
I'm ancient.
Started playing D&D in 1974.
I like making computers do what they do and get all software theory on it.
I design and play lots of games.
I think philosophy is important.
Gary Childress

Re: Wheeeeeeee......

Post by Gary Childress »

Welcome to the forum. I agree with your statement that philosophy is important.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Hey there old timer.

I'm not a gamer but I'm reading a novel called Ready Player by Ernest Kline.

Fascinating.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

DanDare wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:27 am Interesting to find these forums.
I'm ancient.
gurps is too crunchy

savage worlds is decent

barbarians of lemuria works

mutants and masterminds is what I'm eyein' these days

-----

don't say I never gave you nuthin'...

https://thetrove.is/Books/
DanDare

Post by DanDare »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:11 am Welcome to the forum. I agree with your statement that philosophy is important.
Good to start on a positive note. :)
DanDare

Post by DanDare »

Walker wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:43 pm Hey there old timer.

Fascinating.
Is that the book that the movie Ready Player One is based on?
DanDare

Post by DanDare »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:03 pm
gurps is too crunchy

savage worlds is decent

For reeeeeeeeely crunchy there is Role Master.
Walker

Post by Walker »

DanDare wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:12 am
Walker wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:43 pm Hey there old timer.

Fascinating.
Is that the book that the movie Ready Player One is based on?
Yes! But I haven't seen it.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

DanDare wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:13 am
henry quirk wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:03 pm
gurps is too crunchy

savage worlds is decent

For reeeeeeeeely crunchy there is Role Master.
I'll have to check the trove for it
Scott Mayers

Post by Scott Mayers »

I'm ancient.
Are you new to any online forums?

I'm not a fan of the literal D&D games but indirectly through the video games that the D&D games have been extended to. I actually had a friend of your name who tried to give me a second shot at understanding the excitement of the game. But a sister of mine (and Dan's own girlfriend) spoiled it when drinking got involved. My sister couldn't grasp why she had to follow the MC's reality. My only other prior experience turned me off in that the kid trying to teach myself and a brother of mine seemed to make the 'game' biased to his favor for being both a player and the 'God' controlling the very environment. The fantastical creations of the characters were also less appealing, something that I think requires a background personality to favor them.

However, I loved the first such game I played in this line, Nintendo's Zelda! Every once in a while I try another one here and there when I have a week of downtime and need a break from other forms of entertainment. Those games derived from the more real University settings of places like Harvard that wanted a way to demonstrate an 'unfolding' of history where each person plays a character from history and the MC tries to present the background historical environment. If the players are all sufficiently sincere to understanding their characters, then the end result SHOULD map to the reality and it gives them all a more intimate and reflective understanding of the real people in respect to history. It is most functionally useful for careers in law or politics where undestanding others' rational perspectives should be paramount to representing their clients or opposing debators.

As to computing, do you have any background with architecture? Computer logic is one of my invested interests. But I'm not a formal programmer although I could be if I wanted; I find understanding the foundations of logic most interesting.

Welcome to the forum.
DanDare

Post by DanDare »

Scott Mayers wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:27 pmAre you new to any online forums?
Nuh, I've been forumning since the naughties. I generally try to keep the same name and persona online, too. Its not much different to real me, I think.
I'm not a fan of the literal D&D games but indirectly through the video games that the D&D games have been extended to. I actually had a friend of your name who tried to give me a second shot at understanding the excitement of the game. But a sister of mine (and Dan's own girlfriend) spoiled it when drinking got involved. My sister couldn't grasp why she had to follow the MC's reality. My only other prior experience turned me off in that the kid trying to teach myself and a brother of mine seemed to make the 'game' biased to his favor for being both a player and the 'God' controlling the very environment. The fantastical creations of the characters were also less appealing, something that I think requires a background personality to favor them.
My actual favourite RPGs are Call of Cthulhu (cosmic horror a la HP lovecraft) and Paranoia (A distopian, computer controlled world. The computer is your friend. Trust no one. Keep your laser handy). Although I enjoy computer game adventures, and have written my fair share of games, they lack the flexibility, sociability and improvisational response of a face to face table top for me.
However, I loved the first such game I played in this line, Nintendo's Zelda! Every once in a while I try another one here and there when I have a week of downtime and need a break from other forms of entertainment. Those games derived from the more real University settings of places like Harvard that wanted a way to demonstrate an 'unfolding' of history where each person plays a character from history and the MC tries to present the background historical environment. If the players are all sufficiently sincere to understanding their characters, then the end result SHOULD map to the reality and it gives them all a more intimate and reflective understanding of the real people in respect to history. It is most functionally useful for careers in law or politics where undestanding others' rational perspectives should be paramount to representing their clients or opposing debators.
Yeah, D&Ds roots via Dave Arneson. (See the post about the Brunstein campaigns)
As to computing, do you have any background with architecture? Computer logic is one of my invested interests. But I'm not a formal programmer although I could be if I wanted; I find understanding the foundations of logic most interesting.
I have a background with both real architecture (my first job when I left high school, long, long ago) and computer software architecture. I'm a bit crap at network architecture and setting up servers though.
Welcome to the forum.
Scott Mayers

Post by Scott Mayers »

DanDare wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:18 am
I have a background with both real architecture (my first job when I left high school, long, long ago) and computer software architecture. I'm a bit crap at network architecture and setting up servers though.
Wait...you went from highschool directly into a profession in designing ICs? No McJob in between? For the 1970s, the Altair would have been the most common plaything for getting an understanding of computational logic. Maybe you interpret 'architecture' as putting computer components together to make it unique and functional for particular people's specific needs? (Note that I was referring to the architecture of computer design at the chip level. Like Intel or Motorola chips.)

Which languages did you first study? ...which ones did you excel at?
------

On the D&D gaming thing, I was thinking of trying something somewhat similar here both for fun and to see how it can be functional for philosophy. I tested something on this site recently but no one bit. I did the same thing elsewhere and it picked up. But I'm still testing. Maybe you'd be interested in trying something creative like this with me here? You'd possibly be an asset to how it could unfold with your experience?
bahman

Post by bahman »

I'm ancient.
Welcome to the forum.
Scott Mayers

Post by Scott Mayers »

bahman wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:03 am
I'm ancient.
Welcome to the forum.
He hasn't come back since he responded to me above last. I'm guessing he changed his mind. :?:
bahman

Post by bahman »

Scott Mayers wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:18 am
bahman wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:03 am
I'm ancient.
Welcome to the forum.
He hasn't come back since he responded to me above last. I'm guessing he changed his mind. :?:
Hmmm.