Grettings!

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

GabrielDain

Grettings!

Post by GabrielDain »

Hello, everybody.
My name is Gabriel Ignacio Dain, 17 years of age. I'm finishing high school as we speak, with hopes of entering the University of Sydney studying Philosophy and either English or Linguistics next year.
Having moved from Argentina to Australia a little over three years ago, I became interested in the deep philosophical foundations that differentiate my (original) culture from the one I live in today.
There isn't much to say here, other than it'll be nice meeting and talking to all of you.
mickthinks

Post by mickthinks »

Welcome Gabriel!

Mick
sally

Post by sally »

Hey gabriel! I like your motivation for studying philosophy, I bet you have some really interesting philosophical and political perspectives! I hope travelling and reading will help me with that too.

Sally
GabrielDain

Post by GabrielDain »

Thanks both.
Now that you mention traveling, I should say I am about to embark on a 2-to-3 months backpacking trip through Patagonia this coming December. It is just my best friend and I and we want to keep away from the main cities as much as possible, instead mixing with the natives and hopefully the few remaining indigenous people. I have no doubt the trip with stimulate my philosophical inquiry and I hope to return with many new indigenous theories and myths that I can share.
If anybody has every done anything like that and has any tips, or, on the opposite end, is curious about what I will be doing or about Patagonia and its people, please reply!
miss lewis

Post by miss lewis »

Gabriel,

Please share, this is how we all learn. I do not know anything about Patagonia or the indigenous people.
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

A budding Che? :P
mickthinks

Post by mickthinks »

Patagonia? The last bastion of Welsh imperialism! Brush up on your Cymraeg!

Mick
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

Last bastion? Isn't it the only bastion? *blinks*
Richard Baron

Post by Richard Baron »

Hegel claimed that the tribes of Patagonia lived in a natural state of lawlessness and savagery (Introduction to the Philosophy of History, appendix on the geographical basis of world history, section b, the New World). But that was a while ago, and he was not given to political correctness.
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

For 250 years it was believed that Patagonia was populated by a race of giants twice the size of a normal man.
GabrielDain

Post by GabrielDain »

That would be the Tehuelches. They were (are) indeed much taller than the average European, but hardly twice their size. An example of a myth based on truth.