Hello everyone

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

stacie

Hello everyone

Post by stacie »

Hi all.

I will be starting my first year at the Dominican University College in Ottawa, Canada, studying philosophy and theology.

I am finishing grade 12 which is a bit of a shitshow thanks to COVID, but I got a confirmation that one way or another I will be starting my studies in September, they are still working on the details.

In my spare time I read a lot and do Krav Maga and cook. I have two pet rabbits, Pinky and Sludge.

Was looking up stuff for school (I am taking a philosophy class) and came across this forum and thought that I would check it out.

My main interests in philosophy are apologetics and ethics.

Ciao,
S.
surreptitious57

Re: Hello everyone

Post by surreptitious57 »

Hello stacie and welcome to the forum I hope you like it here
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Congratulations, Stacie, on graduating in the middle of a global pandemic!! :D

Seems like a whole new world is unfolding. May your path into it and through it be bright and fun!
stacie

Post by stacie »

Lacewing wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 4:50 pm Congratulations, Stacie, on graduating in the middle of a global pandemic!! :D

Seems like a whole new world is unfolding. May your path into it and through it be bright and fun!

Thanks. Its my first pandemic.

I have been getting into arguments with some family members about how practical studying philosophy and theology is.

I pointed them to this item: http://dailynous.com/2019/01/03/philoso ... ies-field/

However, it does not make clear what happens to people with a double major in philosophy and theology. Theology by itself pays poorly - would a double major earn the average of theology and philosophy graduates? Or would philosophy carry the day?

There is in any case nothing shameful in working at a Starbucks.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

unless you teach, a philosophy degree is a good primer for a law degree...

but I agree with Shakespeare

-Imp
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

stacie wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 5:43 pm There is in any case nothing shameful in working at a Starbucks.
Agreed! Or anywhere, really.

And philosophy can be helpful in all areas of life.
stacie

Post by stacie »

Impenitent wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 5:55 pm unless you teach, a philosophy degree is a good primer for a law degree...

but I agree with Shakespeare

-Imp
I cannot lie without giggling. Like, literally, if I try to lie, I start to giggle. I don't think I would make a good lawyer
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

stacie wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:56 pm Hi all.

I will be starting my first year at the Dominican University College in Ottawa, Canada, studying philosophy and theology.

I am finishing grade 12 which is a bit of a shitshow thanks to COVID, but I got a confirmation that one way or another I will be starting my studies in September, they are still working on the details.

In my spare time I read a lot and do Krav Maga and cook. I have two pet rabbits, Pinky and Sludge.

Was looking up stuff for school (I am taking a philosophy class) and came across this forum and thought that I would check it out.

Ciao,
S.
Welcome to the forum, Stacie!
fiveredapples

Post by fiveredapples »

I cannot lie without giggling. Like, literally, if I try to lie, I start to giggle. I don't think I would make a good lawyer
Well, you could be a very specialized lawyer: one that defends only clowns.
bahman

Post by bahman »

stacie wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:56 pm Hi all.

Ciao,
S.
Hi and welcome to the forum.