Greetings

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

IvoryBlackBishop

Greetings

Post by IvoryBlackBishop »

I'm a regular commenter on several other philosophy websites, and thought I would join.
bahman

Re: Greetings

Post by bahman »

IvoryBlackBishop wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:06 pm I'm a regular commenter on several other philosophy websites, and thought I would join.
You are very welcome.
betweengood&evil

Re: Greetings

Post by betweengood&evil »

Hello, you have interest in things philosophical. I am a retired cc instructor. I am currently reading Nietzsche. Just finished "The Birth of Tragedy" and have these thoughts:
1. That tragedy as the realization (that which is put into reality) that human beings can never find the absolute moral resolution of anything versus the optimistic view that rationality can always find a modus vivendi that is pleasing and acceptable to all is Nietzsche's insight. I agree with him. What does this mean in one's life? I think that it means that one must accept the tragedy of life and live with it. "Live with it" means to me the recognition that tragedy does not mean living in despair but accepting the illusive, ghostly, thing called hope. It is nebulous; yet it exists as a human universal. That Prometheus chose to go on living accepting that he gave human beings individuation is a form of this hope. Hope is a kind of transcendence that does not mean the obliteration of despair, but the blending of it with hope: each acts as the critic of the other within one's self and so keeps one "authentic and honest." In this way one might avoid the pollyanianish optimism of reason.
2. Ok, what would a Dionysian society look like? I think that it would make policy with the realization that no policy is perfect and unchangeable, but that policy can be compassionate and done with loving kindness. By contrast Western society's citizens are slaves to comfort (I include myself); consumption is our prayer; and credit cards are our "communion" with the gods of wealth. Our policies are made with this "slavish" morality in mind.