Hello, I just arrived

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

pilgrim1917

Hello, I just arrived

Post by pilgrim1917 »

Greetings!

I'm a bit of an oddball, yet I feel very much at home here. I am not an atheist but have friends who are, good friends, in fact. Indeed, I now believe in a supreme being, though I didn't always. I began reading philosophy when I was 20, with The Myth of Sisyphus by Camus, The Will to Power by Nietzsche, followed by philosophical literature, works by Dostoevsky and others.

My degrees are in psychology, teacher education and journalism. I'm retired. I write poetry, fiction, essays and I journal.

I look forward to some good discussions in these forums.

Thank you.
bahman

Re: Hello, I just arrived

Post by bahman »

pilgrim1917 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:20 am Greetings!

I'm a bit of an oddball, yet I feel very much at home here. I am not an atheist but have friends who are, good friends, in fact. Indeed, I now believe in a supreme being, though I didn't always. I began reading philosophy when I was 20, with The Myth of Sisyphus by Camus, The Will to Power by Nietzsche, followed by philosophical literature, works by Dostoevsky and others.

My degrees are in psychology, teacher education and journalism. I'm retired. I write poetry, fiction, essays and I journal.

I look forward to some good discussions in these forums.

Thank you.
I am retired too but I am physicist. Welcome.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

bahman wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:31 pm
I retire next year, I'm an astronaut.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

I retire every 50 laps, I work in a pit crew...

-Imp
bahman

Post by bahman »

Harbal wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:23 pm
bahman wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:31 pm
I retire next year, I'm an astronaut.
Nice to see you.
pilgrim1917

Post by pilgrim1917 »

Thank you all for the welcome, or welcomes, whichever is the proper phrasing. It's great to be in this company of thinkers. I'm headed to the discussion about Ricky Gervais, because I've been a fan of his since "The Office," the original British version. Apparently he said some controversial things at the Golden Globe Awards.
Walker

Post by Walker »

pilgrim1917 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:39 pm Thank you all for the welcome, or welcomes, whichever is the proper phrasing. It's great to be in this company of thinkers. I'm headed to the discussion about Ricky Gervais, because I've been a fan of his since "The Office," the original British version. Apparently he said some controversial things at the Golden Globe Awards.
Hey there. Pilgrim brings to mind 1620 and the Mayflower, John Wayne, Eric Clapton. I heard recently that an epidemic more than decimated Indian tribes along coastal North America before 1620. Something to check out one of these days.
pilgrim1917

Post by pilgrim1917 »

Well, now I feel very much at home here, appreciate all the welcoming voices and meeting a retired astronaut among my new acquaintances.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

pilgrim1917 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:14 pm ...and meeting a retired astronaut among my new acquaintances.
If Harbal is a retired astronaut, I'm a dragon tamer visiting from the Pleiades star cluster. :lol:

Welcome Pilgrim!
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Lacewing wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:27 pm
pilgrim1917 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:14 pm ...and meeting a retired astronaut among my new acquaintances.
If Harbal is a retired astronaut, I'm a dragon tamer visiting from the Pleiades star cluster. :lol:
How's the weather at Pleiades star cluster, Lacey. :)
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Harbal wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:31 pm How's the weather at Pleiades star cluster, Lacey. :)
It's beautiful! I would love to show you around. Let me know when you plan to be in the area in your space capsule.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Lacewing wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:35 pm Let me know when you plan to be in the area in your space capsule.
It's hard to say when I will be able to get there. I'm having a spot of bother with the warp drive, and it is proving very difficult to get hold of the right spark plugs on Jupiter.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Harbal wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:43 pm
Lacewing wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:35 pm Let me know when you plan to be in the area in your space capsule.
It's hard to say when I will be able to get there. I'm having a spot of bother with the warp drive, and it is proving very difficult to get hold of the right spark plugs on Jupiter.
Well, I'm warmed from simply knowing that you'd like to visit. Maybe our paths will cross on the dark side of the moon.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Lacewing wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:50 pm Maybe our paths will cross on the dark side of the moon.
Yes, we'll arrange something. Don't forget to bring a torch.
pilgrim1917

Post by pilgrim1917 »

Welcome Pilgrim!

How's the weather at Pleiades star cluster, Lacey. :)

It's beautiful! I would love to show you around. Let me know when you plan to be in the area in your space capsule.

Well, I'm warmed from simply knowing that you'd like to visit. Maybe our paths will cross on the dark side of the moon.

Yes, we'll arrange something. Don't forget to bring a torch.
Delightful! Love the zippy bantering. If you are Brits it's no surprise I'm delighted, as I'm more than a bit of an anglophile. The wonder of Brit humor for me is it spans the chasm of extremely silly to droll humor. ... How do you find American humor? :D