New Guy

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

OutOfNonage

New Guy

Post by OutOfNonage »

Hello All,

I am very happy to have found this online community. I hope to learn from everyone and contribute to the conversation.
Maruku

Re: New Guy

Post by Maruku »

Hey New Guy, welcome to the forum!

What interested you in philosophy?
OutOfNonage

Post by OutOfNonage »

Well, I grew up in a Protestant home. I began studying Christian theology when I was thirteen. I began reading the Bible obsessively. I also began reading my father's seminary texts. I was just trying to tackle some of the major issues and gain some answers. It sort of developed into an obsession. Now, I'm working towards a degree in philosophy.

I actually renounced Christianity earlier this year. It was a difficult decision. However, I believe that it was the correct decision to make.
Camus Society

Post by Camus Society »

Hi OutOfNonage I'm sorry to hear that you renounced Christianity. That is your decision, of course, but I found that the more I studied philosophy the closer I got to Christianity.
OutOfNonage

Post by OutOfNonage »

Hey Camus Society,

I do want to make clear that I am not a true antagonist of Christianity, or any other religious sect for that matter. It is not my goal to make myself an enemy of Christians. I still attend a Bible study on a regular basis. There are many things about religion that I miss. Religion has the ability to enrich the life of its practitioners. Also, I do not believe that I have all of the answers or that I have reached the end of my journey towards truth.

I spent most of my life being prepared for the Christian ministry. My preparation began very early. Renouncing Christianity was a long, excrutiating process. My reason for doing such a thing was not born of bitterness. I do mean that. Having spent most of my life seeking the Christian God, I do have a great deal of respect for the religious institution. However, I cannot maintain my own position in it.

My goal in this forum is to learn as much as I can. Hopefully, I can add to the conversation as well.

I would like to learn more about your theological perspective if you would not mind sharing.
mickthinks

Post by mickthinks »

Welcome to our cloisters OutOfNonage! I hope you enjoy our devotions and find plenty to think about.
Wootah

Post by Wootah »

I'm much more intune with Camus Society in that it was through philosophy that I embraced Christianity. I'd love the 'goss' on what had you lose faith?
OutOfNonage

Post by OutOfNonage »

Hey Wootah,

I believe that in order for an individual to be a true theist God must present an individual with some type of "revelation" of Himself/Herself. God has not revealed Himself/Herself to me, at least in such a way as to be noticeable by me. Because I lack knowledge of God's existence, I have no basis for a theological system or a religious system. I am in a state of agnosticism because I have received no revelation of God. Because of this, I renounce Christianity out of necessity.

This is not an argument against Christianity. It is a statement of my present awareness of God's existence, which could change in an instant, as did the Apostle Paul's on the road to Damascus.

Growing up, Christianity was my entire world. Many people have told me that when one grows up in a Christian environment, one's faith is usually insincere. However, this was absolutely not the case in my situation. I was made to memorize Scripture at the age of four years. At thirteen years of age, I devoted myself to knowing God. At this age, I would often be found prostrate before the alter confessing my sins before God. I had an overwhelming sense of depravity. I became very legalistic during this time. I began to read my father's seminary texts. I was introduced to Martin Luther and John Wesley. I read about both men's struggles to understand God's grace. Soon, I began to be settled on the matter of salvation.

I was also introduced to Cornelius van Til and Francis Schaeffer around the same time time. I became very interested in Christian apologetics and began to search for a rational argument for God's existence. While I have found arguments, I have not found God.

I'm sorry to write so much. I often feel the need to do so when I am asked to explain my position as an agnostic because people tend to assume that I have had little involvement with the Church when they first learn of my position.
Wootah

Post by Wootah »

I'm sorry to write so much. I often feel the need to do so when I am asked to explain my position as an agnostic because people tend to assume that I have had little involvement with the Church when they first learn of my position.
It's a forum, we're meant to write lots of stuff!
Camus Society

Post by Camus Society »

OutOfNonage wrote:Growing up, Christianity was my entire world. Many people have told me that when one grows up in a Christian environment, one's faith is usually insincere. However, this was absolutely not the case in my situation. I was made to memorize Scripture at the age of four years. At thirteen years of age, I devoted myself to knowing God. At this age, I would often be found prostrate before the alter confessing my sins before God. I had an overwhelming sense of depravity. I became very legalistic during this time. I began to read my father's seminary texts. I was introduced to Martin Luther and John Wesley. I read about both men's struggles to understand God's grace. Soon, I began to be settled on the matter of salvation.
Hi OutofNonage, thanks for telling a bit of your story. It sounds like you have had a particular experience of Christianity. Remember, God did not create 'Christianity' - man did. What I mean is that men over history have shaped particular ways of trying to know God. God didn't instruct parents to have their children memorize scriptures - or even suggest it may be a good idea. I have known people who have been brought up in one Church and never felt they knew God but then found Him somewhere else. I used to attend a Pentecostalist church and felt nothing other than the absence of God. Later at an Anglican church, I found God.

If you keep asking philosophical questions - and don't continually attempt to rule out God - you will find God. Some people deliberately look for places to squeeze in God, others leave the intellectual path and go back on themselves the minute they suspect God in on the horizon. Be open to idea that God is out there and when you get close, He will make himself known.
OutOfNonage

Post by OutOfNonage »

Hey Camus Society,

I truly appreciate your open-mindedness. I'm very glad that we can discuss our different perspectives peacefully.

I would like to state that I am very grateful to my parents for having me memorize Scripture. I still consult Scripture quite a bit. I believe it offers valuable insight regarding morality and an interesting possibility as to the origin of the universe.
Nikolai

Post by Nikolai »

HI CS,
If you keep asking philosophical questions - and don't continually attempt to rule out God - you will find God.
This sounds like a promise to adherents of the skeptical method. I'm a skeptic so does that mean that I'll find God - because I'm not particularly expecting to but am open to the possibility.

Or is God your word for the culmination of philosophical enquiry - like Ataraxia, Virtue or Wisdom?

best, Nikolai

PS - I would be fascinated to hear your views on Camus' understanding of God.
TomEdenbrow

Post by TomEdenbrow »

I remember being all cocky in the face of proper religious heads as a wee nipper, lol, real young, telling my mate's my mum that her creationist outlook was total tosh, similar tussles with my RE teacher at school.

i read The Holy Blood and The Holy Grail when i was 9 or 10, ahead of the game yes, but enough of my ego patting.

Aetheisism got pretty popular and trendy though, and like how recently i bought the biggest specs I could find because skinny specs are now in fashion I'm now not so convinced that there isn't a god. lol, we don't know shit! lol, prove to me there isn't a god. Certainly no dude with a beard presiding in the clouds and that, know what I mean? but...

Have you guys read quantum physics stuff? how crazy is all that! So much scope for making you realise we know nowt.

Sorry New Guy (this my first words on this forum too) that I'm not directly responding to any of your points and instead just cracking on with my own agenda that's related to your text only in religious terms, but Ive read your intro and a bit further and you appear to be lush, I bet your a real nice guy!