I'm Bakhita

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Bakhita

I'm Bakhita

Post by Bakhita »

Hello all. I'm calling myself Bakhita. I'm a philosophy major at a private university. I don't know how to describe my "philosophy" except that I'm Catholic, with everything that means. I'm graduating this semester and am writing my thesis, and this semester looks like it'll be fairly exciting.

My philosophy department leans existentialist, which can be a bit cringey at times. We celebrated Nietzsche's birthday last year with cake, music, and a reading from The Gay Science. We did something for Edgar Allen Poe, too. Kinda cringey, but I enjoy Wittgenstein and Kierkegaard's work, and can appreciate Hume's aesthetic.

Not sure what else to say, so I'll leave it here.
Gary Childress

Re: I'm Bakhita

Post by Gary Childress »

Bakhita wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:20 am Hello all. I'm calling myself Bakhita. I'm a philosophy major at a private university. I don't know how to describe my "philosophy" except that I'm Catholic, with everything that means. I'm graduating this semester and am writing my thesis, and this semester looks like it'll be fairly exciting.

My philosophy department leans existentialist, which can be a bit cringey at times. We celebrated Nietzsche's birthday last year with cake, music, and a reading from The Gay Science. We did something for Edgar Allen Poe, too. Kinda cringey, but I enjoy Wittgenstein and Kierkegaard's work, and can appreciate Hume's aesthetic.

Welcome to the forum, Bakhita.
AndriyTalbot

Post by AndriyTalbot »

Hello Bakhita! I also joined this community
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Bakhita wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:20 am Hello all. I'm calling myself Bakhita. I'm a philosophy major at a private university. I don't know how to describe my "philosophy" except that I'm Catholic, with everything that means. I'm graduating this semester and am writing my thesis, and this semester looks like it'll be fairly exciting.

Welcome Bakhita and Andriy.

I am also Catholic - but a step beyond theism, as in I have gnosis.

My website if you are interested in a little of my story and art you may find interesting, go from the headings left to right - skip the cyberpunk stuff if it doesn't interest you!

www.androcies.com
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Bakhita wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:20 am I enjoy ...Kierkegaard's work...
Good for you! :D He rocks. The Sickness Unto Death is superb. Don't miss it, if you like Kierkegaard.
Bakhita

Post by Bakhita »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:58 pm
Good for you! :D He rocks. The Sickness Unto Death is superb. Don't miss it, if you like Kierkegaard.
It's funny you say that. I'm reading it right now. I started it today and just finished part A. I'm writing my thesis on philosophical despair, so of course he's the first person I'm turning to.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Bakhita wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:31 am
Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:58 pm
It's funny you say that. I'm reading it right now. I started it today and just finished part A. I'm writing my thesis on philosophical despair, so of course he's the first person I'm turning to.
Oh, his treatment of that is just great.

"The Christian heroism...is to venture wholly to be oneself, as an individual man, this definite individual man, alone before the face of God, alone in this tremendous exertion and this tremendous responsibility..." (Lowrie edition, 257)

And Camus's The Myth of Sisyphus would be a heck of a good contrast to that. They are so different that one can scarcely believe they both get classified as "Existentialists."
Bakhita

Post by Bakhita »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:32 am
And Camus's The Myth of Sisyphus would be a heck of a good contrast to that.
I’m also using selections from that. I read the Stranger a few months ago, and Camus is a pretty great writer. (I actually happen to be wearing my Camus shirt right now)
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

What is and where is a "private university"?
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Bakhita wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:51 am
Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:32 am
And Camus's The Myth of Sisyphus would be a heck of a good contrast to that.
I’m also using selections from that. I read the Stranger a few months ago, and Camus is a pretty great writer. (I actually happen to be wearing my Camus shirt right now)
Well, the start is very telling..."There is only one really serious philosophical problem, and that is suicide...one must first answer." If that doesn't describe philosophical despair, nothing does.
Bakhita

Post by Bakhita »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:50 am

A university that costs two to three times more than a public university like OSU, with an acceptance rate below 80%.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Bakhita wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:02 pm

A university that costs two to three times more than a public university like OSU, with an acceptance rate below 80%.
What is OSU?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

"Private universities" usually refer to universities that aren't funded through state taxpayers. A private university usually relies on tuition or donations from individuals or private organizations and whatnot in order to maintain itself. It's basically like a private enterprise that lives and dies by market forces as opposed to a government institution that relies in part on taxes in order to operate.

I'm guessing OSU is either Ohio State University or Oklahoma State University?
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:02 pm

"Private universities" usually refer to universities that aren't funded through state taxpayers. A private university usually relies on tuition or donations from individuals or private organizations and whatnot in order to maintain itself. It's basically like a private enterprise that lives and dies by market forces as opposed to a government institution that relies in part on taxes in order to operate.

Did I ask YOU?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Sculptor wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:00 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:02 pm

Did I ask YOU?
Just trying to be helpful, sorry.