Hello everyone

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Camus Society

Hello everyone

Post by Camus Society »

My name is Simon. I'm the President of the Albert Camus Society and an existential therapist.
realunoriginal

Re: Hello everyone

Post by realunoriginal »

Is this a joke? :lol:
tbieter

Post by tbieter »

What is an "existential therapist"?
Camus Society

Post by Camus Society »

Not a joke!

Existential therapy is a type of psychotherapy (such as psychoanalysis, gestalt therapy, cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT), rational emotive behavioural therapy (REBT), family therapy, and so on are different types of psychotherapy).

Existential therapy, as the name suggests, is often more philosophical than psychological taking ideas from philosophers such as Kierkegaard, Heidegger, Jaspers, and Camus amongst others. Notable figures in existential therapy are: Viktor Frankl, Otto Rank, Rollo May, R. D. Laing, David Cooper.

It is a broad genre, but almost every existential therapist is interested in Freedom, Meaning and Anxiety.

Here's a couple of links...

http://www.existentialanalysis.co.uk/
http://www.spc.ac.uk/courses/courses/in ... ploma.aspx

Or google it...

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q= ... rapy&meta=
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

Hello Simon, and welcome to the forum! :)
tbieter

Post by tbieter »

Thanks for the information. I think that the forum needs a therapist. Recently, a moderator had to ban a member, who was a foul-mouthed scary guy.

I'm an old fart, beginning to slip, so keep an eye on me, and don't hesitate to advise Rick when you think its time that my existence herein be terminated. :lol:

Tom
artisticsolution

Post by artisticsolution »

tbieter wrote: I'm an old fart, beginning to slip, so keep an eye on me, and don't hesitate to advise Rick when you think its time that my existence herein be terminated. :lol:

Tom
Don't worry Tom! If that ever happens, I will give you a "viking's funeral" just like they did in 'Beau Geste"! :D
Lusia Mousky

Post by Lusia Mousky »

Existantial therapy is probably for those who are afraid to exist, because the world seems too scary for them.
They are suicidal and need some reinforcement for their scared egos.

Another group of patients might be those who are too bored to exist. Or too indifferent.
The hero of "The Stranger" by Albert Camus was like it.

Many people suffer from the so-called mid-like crisis.
There is a new French film about it which I have not seen yet. About a man with a lovely family, excellent job, etc. and who smashes everything in one go. Just like this. Because he is fed up by the hipocrisy of all this ?

This forum is also providing some existantial therapy. People can exchange their views about the meaning of the own existence.

So much for now. (I never studied psychology.)

Love and peace.
And have a nice week-end.

:D
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

artisticsolution wrote:
tbieter wrote: I'm an old fart, beginning to slip, so keep an eye on me, and don't hesitate to advise Rick when you think its time that my existence herein be terminated. :lol:

Tom
Don't worry Tom! If that ever happens, I will give you a "viking's funeral" just like they did in 'Beau Geste"! :D
"Eet will not be easy - but the Foreign Legion always honours its dead!" :lol:
Richard Baron

Post by Richard Baron »

RickLewis wrote:"Eet will not be easy - but the Foreign Legion always honours its dead!"
Forum Patria Nostra
Camus Society

Post by Camus Society »

Lusia Mousky wrote:Another group of patients might be those who are too bored to exist. Or too indifferent.
The hero of "The Stranger" by Albert Camus was like it.
Meursault wasn't bored or indifferent. He refused to lie to himself or pretend to believe in things to please other people. He didn't have problems with meaning, freedom or anxiety. However, Camus wasn't suggesting that Meursault was a example for readers to follow.
Lusia Mousky

Post by Lusia Mousky »

He did not show any emotions at his mother´s funeral.
If he was so honest, then he did not have any emotions to show.

This was brought against him at the trial after he killed an Arab "because of the light".

Such a person looks to me as bored and indifferent to his own existence.
artisticsolution

Post by artisticsolution »

Lusia Mousky wrote:He did not show any emotions at his mother´s funeral.
If he was so honest, then he did not have any emotions to show.

This was brought against him at the trial after he killed an Arab "because of the light".

Such a person looks to me as bored and indifferent to his own existence.

Not everyone shows emotion in the same way. Do you believe they should for your sake?
Camus Society

Post by Camus Society »

This thread probably isn't the place to discuss Meursualt and The Stranger. It is worth discussing though. Most commentators, and as one of the referees for the Camus Society Journal I see a lot of commentators!, agree that Meursualt does in fact show a lot of concern for his mother. One of the main points of the book is how Meursault's actions are twisted during his court case to paint him as a monster. It is interesting to compare Meursault's attitude to his mother to that of the care home manager. It is also interesting to compare his attitude to killing the Arab man and the attitude of the prosecutors in the trial. They are more interested in him smoking during the vigil than in the taking of a man's life. There is much more to say, but this thread isn't the place because most people won't know it's here.