hello everyone

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

SleepyTime

hello everyone

Post by SleepyTime »

Hello

I hope you are well. Just looking for people to chat with and learn from.

Some of my interests, from my profile:
Heidegger's Dasein and metaphysics, Presocratic physics and metaphysics, Roland Barthes' idiorhythmy and views on love, Epicurus' materialism and soul, Foucault's care/technologies of the self, biopolitics, Taoist ethics and metaphysics, Plato's moderation and life of the philosopher, Zizek's humor and views of contemporary society, Judith Butler's self (still to really read her)

Intro
I'm new to this forum and have been reading philosophy for a few years now, as one of my main personal interests and a way to guide myself. Looking for people to chat with and help expand my views. I am mainly self-guided in my reading through online research and references in texts. recently ran across Heidegger's Introduction to Metaphysics and am finding it to be revolutionary to me as previously I was reading mainly for ethics. "Gathering itself in itself from itself"/Dasein. I am only a bit past halfway but it is really affecting.

Happy to chat with anyone who seems like we might have intersecting interests.
Last edited by SleepyTime on Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
surreptitious57

Re: hello everyone

Post by surreptitious57 »

Hello Sleepy and welcome to this little place of ours and I hope you are well too
SleepyTime

Re: hello everyone

Post by SleepyTime »

surreptitious57 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:30 pm
Hello Sleepy and welcome to this little place of ours and I hope you are well too
Thanks surreptitious57, for the warm welcome. Your name is intriguing, perhaps just for anonymity I suppose

I see you like the philosophy of religion topic: I am an atheist too with a history of involvement with religion from my parents (eastern religion hybrid).

That's why I like Epicurus' atomic materialism and dissolution of the soul because it solves the nasty afterlife thing.
I guess I'm making a patchwork of beliefs for myself using philosophy.

I like the monasticism of Christianity (apparently also borrowed from Epicurus). It seems like a nice life. Lots of time to study and quiet with pretty architecture and art. I'd have to skip the religious part though. I borrowed this from Barthes' iddiorhythmy.