My name is Jeff

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Jeff

My name is Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Hello All!

I'm excited to be a part of this online community. I have an undergraduate degree in philosophy, and it has remained a passion of mine even though my career has led me in a different direction. My main areas of interest are Philosophy of the Mind, Free Will, and Ethical Philosophy. I'd love to read articles and discuss them with anyone who has the desire.

If you would like a reading partner or just someone to bounce your thoughts off of, please feel free to reach out!

-Jeff
henry quirk

Hi, I'm Henry, and I'm (not) a philosopher.

Post by henry quirk »

Welcome, Jeff. This place is a misery factory: run while you can. Or: cop a squat (and give up the right to complain when somebody chews on your nuts).
Harbal

Re: My name is Jeff

Post by Harbal »

Jeff wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:49 pm please feel free to reach out!
If I ever feel like reaching out, Jeff, it's good to know you are there.
mickthinks

Post by mickthinks »

Jeff, welcome to the bear garden that is the Philosophy Now Forum!

If you are looking for the warm companionship of like minds, I can confidently predict you will not find it here. Here we have a collection of competitive egos, few of whom are capable either of sustaining a proper argument or of recognising when they have been met by a better one. The result can be exasperating and dispiriting, and you may find that you lose the appetite for it and stop visiting. Or you may find that you can ignore the chaff and the flack and focus on the purveyors of worth, maybe half a dozen honest thinkers who will treat you with respect and whom you will come to respect in return.

I've been coming here since I was in kindergarten. I'm glad you made it.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

mickthinks wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:18 pm Jeff, welcome to the bear garden that is the Philosophy Now Forum!

If you are looking for the warm companionship of like minds, I can confidently predict you will not find it here. Here we have a collection of competitive egos, few of whom are capable either of sustaining a proper argument or of recognising when they have been met by a better one. The result can be exasperating and dispiriting, and you may find that you lose the appetite for it and stop visiting. Or you may find that you can ignore the chaff and the flack and focus on the purveyors of worth, maybe half a dozen honest thinkers who will treat you with respect and whom you will come to respect in return.

And of course none of that would apply to you (the first part).
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

mickthinks wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:18 pm Jeff, welcome to the bear garden that is the Philosophy Now Forum!

I'm walking into this forum with eyes wide open. And to be honest, I'm probably one of those weaker thinkers--that's why I'm here. I haven't been able to flex those philosophical muscles in a while and I feel them getting flaccid. I'm here to work on that and to be challenged by people. From everything I've heard, this seems like a great place to present ideas and know my ideas will be challenged by people who are looking to disagree. I accept that the quality of that disagreement will vary. But, in general, resistance is how you gain strength, which is my goal.
henry quirk

Jeff

Post by henry quirk »

just keep your loins girded & your blade sharp & you'll do fine.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Jeff wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:49 pm Hello All!

I'm excited to be a part of this online community. I have an undergraduate degree in philosophy, and it has remained a passion of mine even though my career has led me in a different direction. My main areas of interest are Philosophy of the Mind, Free Will, and Ethical Philosophy. I'd love to read articles and discuss them with anyone who has the desire.

If you would like a reading partner or just someone to bounce your thoughts off of, please feel free to reach out!

-Jeff
Hi, Jeff:

There are good folks here, and also a few who aren't very nice sometimes. Ignore the latter, and enjoy the former, and all will be well. Welcome.
odysseus

Post by odysseus »

Jeff
My main areas of interest are Philosophy of the Mind, Free Will, and Ethical Philosophy.
So what are you reading, Jeff? Who would you like to discuss?