Awesome Magazine. Looking Forward to Interacting with the Community

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Jeff

Awesome Magazine. Looking Forward to Interacting with the Community

Post by Jeff »

Hello All,

I'm Jeff. I have an undergrad in Philosophy and have a few minor published papers. I'm looking to get back into philosophical conversation and thought. I've gone down the corporate rabbit hole and it's dulled my senses.

My main areas of interest are:
Philosophy of Mind
Freewill Arguments
Political Philosophy

I'm happy to read and debate with anyone who needs a discussion buddy.
-1-

Re: Awesome Magazine. Looking Forward to Interacting with the Community

Post by -1- »

Hi, Jeff. Welcome to the boards. Your topics are vigoriously discussed here, but alas, you'll need to wade through a bunch of solidified opinions. Each of us here carries a personality into the debates we take part of, and most of us take nothing away from the table. The level is somewhat below an undergrad course debate, but you'll find some brilliant minds here, too. The predominant voices are in discussions between theists and non-theists. Name-calling is not foreign to us.

Good luck in getting out of this site what you hope to, and, again, Welcome!
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

Hi Jeff, welcome to the forum! Glad you like the mag.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

-1- wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:20 am Hi, Jeff. Welcome to the boards. Your topics are vigoriously discussed here, but alas, you'll need to wade through a bunch of solidified opinions. Each of us here carries a personality into the debates we take part of, and most of us take nothing away from the table. The level is somewhat below an undergrad course debate, but you'll find some brilliant minds here, too. The predominant voices are in discussions between theists and non-theists. Name-calling is not foreign to us.

Good luck in getting out of this site what you hope to, and, again, Welcome!
Haha, so it's a pretty accurate representation of most online communities. Good to know! I'm excited to contribute my own noise to the online void!
-1-

Post by -1- »

Jeff wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:52 pm I'm excited to contribute my own noise to the online void!
"Void"? Haha, it's denser out here than inside a black hole. In both senses of the word "dense".

That said... Shall we dense? I am male, too, so unless you are gay (I am not) the proposition is not too exciting, I am afraid.

-------

This reminds me... or made me think, more precisely. Matter does not comprise "stuff", it seems more and more that that is the case. In the same sense, information, thoughts, Internet talk and other talk, are also a type of "matter", yet they are hard to pin down for their essence of existence in the macrophysical world.

So our universe may be a layered something, where either in an infinite, or in finite, regress, and progress, things are not substantial, but for some reason they appear to be that way, and they consist of nothing, but of the non-material substance of... of... non-substantial existence.

I don't know how else to say it. But it's everywhere, once you open your eyes to it. By "it" I mean the substantial appearance of non-substance, which can be thought of as having no substantial parts or components at all whatsoever.