Hello Everyone

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

anonymous66

Hello Everyone

Post by anonymous66 »

I'm in my 50's and I recently finished up a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering. Now I'm pursuing a master's degree in philosophy.

My interests are- panpsychism, ethics and accommodationism.

Panpsychism- I like arguments for the idea consciousness itself is a basic property- that in addition to physical properties, there are mental properties. I'm toying with the idea that the universe itself is conscious- and ultimately be the reason that people have intuitions about God. That is, the universe itself fills the role of God. But- this conscious universe is not omniscient, or omnipotent. I'm also interested in process philosophy and process theology.

Ethics- I like arguments for objective morality. I obviously accept that culture and emotions play a role in ethics and morality, but I like the idea that in the last analysis there objective moral principles. It seems to me that morality is not determined by culture, or personal preference, or emotions.

Accommodationism- I don't adhere to any religion, although I was raised as a Christian. All religions deserve respect, and I see no reason to give one religion preference over another. But Christianity is popular here in the U.S., and I'm interested in the efforts to show how Christianity is consistent with modern science, especially evolution.
Harbal

Re: Hello Everyone

Post by Harbal »

anonymous66 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 11:28 am Ethics- I like arguments
Then you are half way there. Now all you need do is develop a liking for using foul language in your arguments and you're ready to go.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Hi! Welcome to the forum, I'm afraid that 99% of philosophy are irrelevant and severely outdated, you should read some Sun Tzu business philosophy, which is refined and 100% relevant, which most business people in USA uses, along with sports teams, military etc etc.
duszek

Post by duszek »

Morality comes from mores that is customs.

Customs are cultivated by societies.

If they are to be objective what can they comply with ? The universal laws of nature ?
anonymous66

Post by anonymous66 »

duszek wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:39 pm Morality comes from mores that is customs.

Customs are cultivated by societies.
What does this mean to you?
If they are to be objective what can they comply with ? The universal laws of nature ?
What are the universal laws of nature?
duszek

Post by duszek »

The jugle law is a universal law of nature.
The food chain is part of it.
Survival of the fittest.

A group learns from experience and tradites their experience to the young ones so they don´t have to invent the wheel, they can develop the customs further.
anonymous66

Post by anonymous66 »

duszek wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 3:57 pm The jugle law is a universal law of nature.
Survival of the fittest.

A group learns from experience and tradites their experience to the young ones so they don´t have to invent the wheel, they can develop the customs further.
Is that an argument for cultural relativity? That is- an argument for the idea that culture determines what is moral?
duszek

Post by duszek »

anonymous66 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 8:13 pm
duszek wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 3:57 pm The jugle law is a universal law of nature.
Survival of the fittest.

Is that an argument for cultural relativity? That is- an argument for the idea that culture determines what is moral?
No, I did not intend such an argument.
I only tried to imagine how moral values develop in human groups or tribes.