first time

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

jpirish

first time

Post by jpirish »

Getting ready to teach my first philosophy class to high school students in the U.S. So I have been doing research on resources and came across the magazine and forum.

Little bit about myself:

B.A. political science/philosophy, M.A. philosophy, M.L.S. humanities (intellectual history), D.L.S. humanities (intellectual history)
I currently teach AP US History in Texas. I also teach a class called American Studies which is basically the APUSH class with a cultural focus. And I also teach a class called "People and Places in History." For the past two years the class has been "Search for the Unreal: Monsters and Fairy Tales" but next year the class is "Search for the Truth: Philosophers and Detectives."

The textbook I am contemplating using is The Cave and the Light. I like the idea of centering the conversation around Plato and Aristotle. But I want to use the articles from this magazine to enrich the course textbook. I am also looking for popular culture stuff to include. There are some great videos dealing with scientific/philosophical content in Through the Wormhole. Maybe use some movies with strong philosophical themes: The Matrix, I Robot, etc.

Are there any other teachers out there who would be willing to share ideas with me?

Thanks in advance,
John
-1-

Re: first time

Post by -1- »

I used to be a teacher, teaching math (algebra) and programming as an entry-level course at the local U.

I was fired three years later -- not spectacularly, just did not get my contract renewed -- because I screamed at the kids.

The kids' constantly questioning the same things, and often requesting answers I have just told them got to me after eight or nine semesters of lecturing.

So to you, as a teacher to a teacher, my advice is: don't scream at the kids. Do treat them with respect, and observe their dignity. The rest is academic.

This advice is actually good for any dealing in life with other human beings.

Especially if the other human beings carry guns.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Oh, and I almost forgot: welcome to the boards!!!

A word of caution: Please don't have high hopes for intellectual discussions; we are below basic level of what constitutes intelligent discourse. We're a bunch of psychiatric inmates with computer privileges. Which means we're just too weak or cowardly to get physical with our cell mates, so we get computer time for "good behaviour".

Eventually you'll ask to get beamed up.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Class assignment:

Discuss the political philosophies found in George Orwell's 1984 and Animal Farm.

Use examples of current world events in your discussion.

Disclaimer: I hold neither a government license to teach, or inspect elevators.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

jpirish wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:48 pm Getting ready to teach my first philosophy class to high school students in the U.S. So I have been doing research on resources and came across the magazine and forum.

Little bit about myself:

B.A. political science/philosophy, M.A. philosophy, M.L.S. humanities (intellectual history), D.L.S. humanities (intellectual history)
I currently teach AP US History in Texas. I also teach a class called American Studies which is basically the APUSH class with a cultural focus. And I also teach a class called "People and Places in History." For the past two years the class has been "Search for the Unreal: Monsters and Fairy Tales" but next year the class is "Search for the Truth: Philosophers and Detectives."

The textbook I am contemplating using is The Cave and the Light. I like the idea of centering the conversation around Plato and Aristotle. But I want to use the articles from this magazine to enrich the course textbook. I am also looking for popular culture stuff to include. There are some great videos dealing with scientific/philosophical content in Through the Wormhole. Maybe use some movies with strong philosophical themes: The Matrix, I Robot, etc.

Are there any other teachers out there who would be willing to share ideas with me?

Thanks in advance,
John
Umberto Eco - The Name of the Rose

concentrate on Aristotle's second poetics...

-Imp
jpirish

Post by jpirish »

-1- wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:25 pm
So to you, as a teacher to a teacher, my advice is: don't scream at the kids. Do treat them with respect, and observe their dignity. The rest is academic.

This advice is actually good for any dealing in life with other human beings.

Especially if the other human beings carry guns.
LOL, interesting. I guess I should have also said, I am a veteran teacher, I've been teaching for 25 years, just never a philosophy course. :D
-1-

Post by -1- »

jpirish wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 2:22 am I guess I should have also said, I am a veteran teacher, I've been teaching for 25 years, just never a philosophy course. :D
Most veterans I personally know suffer from Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome. Some turn to alcohol, some to illicit drug use once released. Nobody gets out of the battle unscathed.