Philosophy is dead

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Marcus de Brun

Philosophy is dead

Post by Marcus de Brun »

Hi I am Marcus
I have deep distrust of Philosophers. I am a physician, a father a husband and an armchair philosopher. I have a dog whom I love very much, and I believe that the existence of humanity is the single greatest refutation of the existence of God.
Philosophy Explorer

Re: Philosophy is dead

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Marcus de Brun wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 11:59 pm Hi I am Marcus
I have deep distrust of Philosophers. I am a physician, a father a husband and an armchair philosopher. I have a dog whom I love very much, and I believe that the existence of humanity is the single greatest refutation of the existence of God.
So you're saying there isn't enough room in this universe for us and God.

In order for something to be dead, it would have lived at some point in time so when did philosophy die and why?

🇺🇸PhilX🇺🇸
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 2:56 am
So you're saying there isn't enough room in this universe for us and God.

In order for something to be dead, it would have lived at some point in time so when did philosophy die and why?

🇺🇸PhilX🇺🇸
That which dies never lived, and that which lives never dies.

There is no room in here for two.

HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Marcus de Brun wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 11:59 pmI believe that the existence of humanity is the single greatest refutation of the existence of God.
I think you fail at your own game? Existence of humanity doesn't prove or disprove anything about God, I've cursed God and in return got 4 black cats in under 1 h and next day I fell on my bike.

I've been an atheist all life and made fun of these silly christians, but I now do believe in God, but I'm certain when Jesus returns he will undo religion since religious people are too stupid for religion, that's heavily suggested in various holy scriptures.

Muslims says "Isa (Jesus) will break the cross" when he returns.

Bible: Book of Revelation "and I saw no temple in New Jerusalem"

St Malachy, Prophecy of the Popes (paraphrased) "during the many tribulations Petrus Romanus will feed his sheep, then the city of the 7 hills will be destroyed, and the terrible judge will judge his people"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLaSMLSgEmQ
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Marcus de Brun wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 11:59 pm Hi I am Marcus
1) Then why are you physician, father and husband if humanities nature refutes any form of divinity and truth (with divinity and truth being elements of God's nature universally speaking?)

2) If you distrust philosopher's, and are a degree of philosopher in the respect you are an "armchair" philosopher, do you distrust yourself?

3) If you do not trust "us", at minimum as "amateur" (non-paid) philosophers, then why are you here?

4) Why is the existence of humanity the single greatest refutation of God?

5) I can go on with the questions, but considering they usually end in long drawn out dialogues I will end it here.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

HexHammer wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 3:11 pm
Marcus de Brun wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 11:59 pmI believe that the existence of humanity is the single greatest refutation of the existence of God.
I think you fail at your own game? Existence of humanity doesn't prove or disprove anything about God, I've cursed God and in return got 4 black cats in under 1 h and next day I fell on my bike.

I've been an atheist all life and made fun of these silly christians, but I now do believe in God, but I'm certain when Jesus returns he will undo religion since religious people are too stupid for religion, that's heavily suggested in various holy scriptures.

Muslims says "Isa (Jesus) will break the cross" when he returns.

Interesting observation I have not heard as of yet. The cross, from some perspectives, is universally defined as a process of synthesis between extremes. If this is the case, then Jesus's return would signify an absence of division resulting in these very same extremes. In my pursuit of trying to understand God I have found a deep respect for the Muslim faith and it raises many questions as to it inherent relationship to Christianity's metaphysics (not geo-political status).

Other cultures, Christianity (Specifically Catholicism) preached towards had to deal with the question of the cross and/or Crucifixion:

1) Quetzacoatal was crucified on a cross.
2) Oden's hanging from the world tree (a pseudo-crucifixion).
3) Cross (Ankh if I remember correctly) in Egyptian Culture.
4) Cross in Native American Culture.
5) Prometheus having a pseudo-crucifixion.
6) etc...do the research yourself...it is interesting about the universality of the concept of the cross. Even the pythagoreans observed "10" as "x" being a form of synthesis where numbers reverted back to their original cycles while manifesting new ones. There is some deep "truth" in the symbol and questions pertaining to the "Cross" and the act of crucifixion.

Bible: Book of Revelation "and I saw no temple in New Jerusalem"

Would man become the temple through which God exists? That is one of many questions a person can ponder in regards to this symbolism.

St Malachy, Prophecy of the Popes (paraphrased) "during the many tribulations Petrus Romanus will feed his sheep, then the city of the 7 hills will be destroyed, and the terrible judge will judge his people"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLaSMLSgEmQ
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Another thought. If philosophy is dead, then why are you at this forum? Are you seeking to raise the dead?

🇺🇸PhilX🇺🇸
Necromancer

Post by Necromancer »

I like to make a note on the philosophical tradition of ethics. Ethics as matter of thinking seems fairly important. You even have the physicians' ethics as well as many other professional ethics codes.

Further, to work out future ethics in informing the public on the best approach on an important subject has its weight too.

You may want to read more philosophy to make a new verdict on the subject? Philosophy of science? You learn nothing?

Anyway, welcome! :D
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

My vote is a "mid-life crisis" hence the standard rant against "reason" or what he perceives as reason...yes this is an ad-hominum, but I have a broad range of interests...

The thought occurred: I will be interested to see what mine looks like....or what if I am mid-life right now and do not know it? Or past mid-life? Or quarter-life? Or what happens if I have no personal crisis? Will I be missing out on something?
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Eodnhoj7 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 4:28 pmOther cultures, Christianity (Specifically Catholicism) preached towards had to deal with the question of the cross and/or Crucifixion:

6) etc...do the research yourself...it is interesting about the universality of the concept of the cross. Even the pythagoreans observed "10" as "x" being a form of synthesis where numbers reverted back to their original cycles while manifesting new ones. There is some deep "truth" in the symbol and questions pertaining to the "Cross" and the act of crucifixion.
Seems you like to make completely irrelevant associations.

If I may ask, what kind of job does one such as you have?
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

HexHammer wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 3:59 am
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 4:28 pmOther cultures, Christianity (Specifically Catholicism) preached towards had to deal with the question of the cross and/or Crucifixion:

I will post a few sources, they are not the best but they will do because of time constraints.

http://www.supportingevidences.net/quetzalcoatl/

http://leejohnbarnes.blogspot.com/2008/ ... d-god.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ankh

https://www.warpaths2peacepipes.com/nat ... anings.htm

http://www.tektonics.org/copycat/promy.php

6) etc...do the research yourself...it is interesting about the universality of the concept of the cross. Even the pythagoreans observed "10" as "x" being a form of synthesis where numbers reverted back to their original cycles while manifesting new ones. There is some deep "truth" in the symbol and questions pertaining to the "Cross" and the act of crucifixion. The question is what?

http://www.ancientpages.com/2017/05/23/ ... explained/

Seems you like to make completely irrelevant associations.

If I may ask, what kind of job does one such as you have?

No, I just get the impression your "faith" feels threatened...it's logical you would avoid the evidence and go straight for a weaker version of the ad-hominum...your identity is threatened...I get it.

In all truth, and this is strictly subjective opinion, the most closed minded, irrational and ironically non-christian people are generally fundamentalist Christians...this however, I am assuming, extends across all fundamentalist groups as literal interpretations are not the strict means through which scriptures can "only" be interpreted. We still stuck with the problem of "metaphor" and a dual approach is often times warranted.
QuantumT

Post by QuantumT »

IMO philosophy is "having the guts to make a conclussion". Scientists lack that.

Not that that conclussion is finite/unchangable, but to say: Ok, so far we know "this", and the most likely conclussion is "this"! (That's what I do.)
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

QuantumT wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 7:29 pm IMO philosophy is "having the guts to make a conclussion". Scientists lack that.

Not that that conclussion is finite/unchangable, but to say: Ok, so far we know "this", and the most likely conclussion is "this"! (That's what I do.)
...yearh, they made lots of conclusions in medieval times, which was completely clueless and very damaging to society in various ways, collapse of economy etc!
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

QuantumT wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 7:29 pm IMO philosophy is "having the guts to make a conclussion". Scientists lack that.

Philosophy has the highest number of men in the field compared to any other...that is why. And I am will to debate whether that is sexist or not...or better yet a philosopher "has the guts to make that conclusion".

It is not a business but a pursuit of pure unrestrained truth. The physicist may deal with dark matter but the philosopher deals with darkness itself.

I find it funny, on a seperate note, Marcus and his "wisdom" disappeared as fast as it came...so much for his "depth".
aetheriast

Post by aetheriast »

In some way you are right the traditional view is a dead end with the exception of some of Plato and Leibnitz, I like his talk of the Monad and monads.
That which is all and everything and lately called The Absolute or the Source, creates. IT is pure undifferentiated Consciousness and everything is alive bearing a bit of it. IT is not God, the gods are its creation for the manifestation of such aspects of reality as holograms in a universal mind. The human being is a product of eons of evolution on the way to become more conscious through the indefinable which is the Soul. We are very mystical creatures in a self induced limitation for the sake of experience, in the grip of a reincarnation cycle of immortality.
Nothing ever really dies.