Hi from Tasmania

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

tassieguy

Hi from Tasmania

Post by tassieguy »

Hi, I'm an old bloke with an enduring interested in philosophy (especially ethics) who now has time to pursue it. I've recently read Parfit, Kitcher, Street and Joyce and a few others. I find the evolutionary account of ethics compelling up to a point. I'd love to discuss these ethics with people here.

Thanks

Tassieguy :)
-1-

Re: Hi from Tasmania

Post by -1- »

tassieguy wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:10 am Hi, I'm an old bloke with an enduring interested in philosophy (especially ethics) who now has time to pursue it. I've recently read Parfit, Kitcher, Street and Joyce and a few others. I find the evolutionary account of ethics compelling up to a point. I'd love to discuss these ethics with people here.

Thanks

Tassieguy :)
Back some thirty-five years ago my SF gf called me the Tasmanian Devil, or Taz for short. I looked like it when I frowned by bushy eyebrows and put on a devilish smile.

This had no truth value in ethics, but it was good enough for aesthetic performances in amorous escapades. My main song for her was Neil Young's "Cinnamon Girl". And indeed, we ran in the night, you could see us together, chasing the moonlight, with my Cinnamon Girl.

So I learned today, that Tassies call themselves Tassies, not Tazzes. Hm.
tassieguy

Post by tassieguy »

-1- Sounds like you had a fascinating courtship. :wink:
-1-

Post by -1- »

tassieguy wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:47 am -1- Sounds like you had a fascinating courtship. :wink:
I figured everyone in Tasmania would. Now I live in Canada -- The Taxmania of the North.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

-1- wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:36 pm
tassieguy wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:47 am -1- Sounds like you had a fascinating courtship. :wink:
I figured everyone in Tasmania would. Now I live in Canada -- The Taxmania of the North.
Canada ay? lucky devil.

my sister is canadian citizen via marriage, she and her husband have dual citizenship (he was canadian and become american in the 90's).

I'm just a smuck american - fearful about my furture, do you know what it take to emigrate to Canada and become a Canadian (I think America is near a fall economically - debt is now too much to save us)?

or to become an Aussie (original poster to you) - what is legal means to become an Aussie?
-1-

Post by -1- »

gaffo wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:09 am or to become an Aussie (original poster to you) - what is legal means to become an Aussie?
Americas Service Centre
Americas Service Centre (ASC) operates from within the Visa, Migration and Citizenship Office of the Australian High Commission, Ottawa, Canada. The ASC offers services in the following languages:

English
Spanish
French
Portuguese.
Telephone
+1 613 238 1040 (International call cost will apply)

Client Counter Hours
Americas Region 10 am to 5 pm EST Monday to Friday

====================

It's funny to ask an Australian to tell you how to immigrate to Au. He lives there! He was born there! He never had to immigrate! How would he know the process?

At any rate, the Australian high commission for the Americas can tell you what they know. The contact info is as above.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

-1- wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:43 am
gaffo wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:09 am or to become an Aussie (original poster to you) - what is legal means to become an Aussie?
Americas Service Centre
Americas Service Centre (ASC) operates from within the Visa, Migration and Citizenship Office of the Australian High Commission, Ottawa, Canada. The ASC offers services in the following languages:

English
Spanish
French
Portuguese.
Telephone
+1 613 238 1040 (International call cost will apply)

Client Counter Hours
Americas Region 10 am to 5 pm EST Monday to Friday

====================

It's funny to ask an Australian to tell you how to immigrate to Au. He lives there! He was born there! He never had to immigrate! How would he know the process?

At any rate, the Australian high commission for the Americas can tell you what they know. The contact info is as above.
lol thanks for taking the time to post the required numbers concerning Canada (sis live in Ottawa now), not sure about you mention of the ausie - living in Canada?????????? don't follow that - but that ok.

thanks for reply Sir.

you are lucky to be Canadian currently - a nation i've always respected and esp now with Trump down here and the slow death of American culture - all the more so.

peace to you.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Gaffo, this is the Aussie commission on Immigration for the "Americas", which includes Canada, USA, Mexico, and all other countries in the Caribbean and in South America.

So please turn to this agency with confidence, if you are seriously curious how to immigrate to Australia.

=============

Thanks for the compliments about Canada. We pride ourselves as the best country to live in in the world, second only to Australia, and that only because of the climate.

To wit, many old-timer Canadians opine, (old timer: now in their eighties and up) that Canada and the USA were inseparable by culture for a long time. By by culture I meant by cultural and social norms.

Then came the Viet Nam war, which brought in the drug culture. Americans succumbed to it more thoroughly than Canadians, and guns proliferated. You see, the drug culture necessitated the guns to enforce boundaries in many, many different ways and meanings of the word.

While that happened in America, we had Pierre Elliott Trudeau, who socialized the country: he created universal (almost free) healthcare; he created social programs and more importantly, working social safety nets. Americans did not.

So now Canada offers better lives to all who live here than America does to all who live there, except for 1. the filthy rich, who are not affected financially by sickness of any kind, and 2. psycho killers who get to get guns much easier, and therefore can live out their favourite and most sacrosanct fantasies in America with much more ease than the could in Canada.
-1-

Post by -1- »

I should add, for the sake of fairness: Canada enjoyed its high standard of living by being an industrial appendage to the USA's industrial might. This lasted from the late nineteen-forties to the late nineteen nineties, at which point in time all or almost all American manufacturing was relocated to China, due to cheapness of labour there.

This did not affect the American economy greatly, because they can always print USA currency, and they do.

And this did not affect the Canadian economy all that greatly, because people feel accepted even if not working and living on public dole. They become second-rate citizens, yes, but not pariahs. In America living and not working is a disgrace, and an unacceptable behaviour. Here, in Canada, everyone would really love to work and earn a much better living, but they stoically accept being a loser and living on welfare. It's not their choice, but they don't consider it a sin.

So people in Canada still have some buying power, even if they live on welfare, and that keeps the economy going.
aetheriast

Post by aetheriast »

It is good to see someone local, I live in Victoria.
So deeply involved in the spiritual aspects of metaphysics without anyone to share it with I sometimes am led to put things on forums, and offer to post my book which is still on my computer.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Hi there.