Hi Guys, I'm older than most

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Beauty

Re: Hi Guys, I'm older than most

Post by Beauty »

Oh! Look whose loss it will be? Certainly not mine!
PKMusarra

Post by PKMusarra »

Hi Jack!

I'm new here myself. What are some of the uncertainties you find yourself debating?
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Mortalsfool wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:Just to mention, just under half the world's population is technically 'older than most'. It's called passing the median age of a population.
I'm not sure what constitutes 'being old', since I meet many that are younger than I in years, with old bodies and heads; I'm 79.
79 is old by any standard. Even by a person of 90, where you can be younger but still old.
Mortalsfool

Post by Mortalsfool »

PKMusarra wrote:Hi Jack!

I'm new here myself. What are some of the uncertainties you find yourself debating?
Hi PK, Fortunately, I don't feel that I have any 'uncertainties' to argue. I say that because, as I posted elsewhere on this forum, my learning process has been a continuing or progressive learning where I never have to go back and say "I was wrong on this point." Since any 'answer' I accept as valid or true, must conform to what we already know, meaning science or the humanities and has no conflict with our commonly shared reality, the 'progression' is a continuing thing without holes about which I can find argument to pursue.

This accounts for my arrogant appearing claim of Enlightenment. I do however, think that claiming to possess the very same thing that philosophers seek is not an extreme position; which accounts for those that can't say the same things about themselves. They really believe they're philosophizing when they turn their own lack of understanding into personal attacks, as if Enlightenment is an unattainable thing. Poor souls they! Unteachable by choice, and very numerous.

jack
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Mortalsfool wrote: This accounts for my arrogant appearing claim of Enlightenment. I do however, think that claiming to possess the very same thing that philosophers seek is not an extreme position; which accounts for those that can't say the same things about themselves. They really believe they're philosophizing when they turn their own lack of understanding into personal attacks, as if Enlightenment is an unattainable thing. Poor souls they! Unteachable by choice, and very numerous.

jack
"Enlightenment" has a few different applications, in what sense are you using it? Philosophers in the west have used it to denote wisdom in the accumulation of knowledge, but Zen Buddhists use it to denote the understanding that we really have no knowledge, "all is void". I'm sure there are other interpretations as well.
Mortalsfool

Post by Mortalsfool »

thedoc wrote:
Mortalsfool wrote: This accounts for my arrogant appearing claim of Enlightenment. I do however, think that claiming to possess the very same thing that philosophers seek is not an extreme position; which accounts for those that can't say the same things about themselves. They really believe they're philosophizing when they turn their own lack of understanding into personal attacks, as if Enlightenment is an unattainable thing. Poor souls they! Unteachable by choice, and very numerous.

jack
"Enlightenment" has a few different applications, in what sense are you using it? Philosophers in the west have used it to denote wisdom in the accumulation of knowledge, but Zen Buddhists use it to denote the understanding that we really have no knowledge, "all is void". I'm sure there are other interpretations as well.
My personal interpretation of enlightenment is: having the ability to get a pertinent and accurate answer to any well framed question asked. It's like having 'your third eye' opened to see all available possibilities and divining the one that 'fits' into the void that's bracketed within the questions parameters. Being 'enlightened' is the constant that describes the heightened sense that allows a clarity that is not common to all; hence, possessing an additional sense exclusive with one's ability
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Mortalsfool wrote:
thedoc wrote:

jack
My personal interpretation of enlightenment is: having the ability to get a pertinent and accurate answer to any well framed question asked. It's like having 'your third eye' opened to see all available possibilities and divining the one that 'fits' into the void that's bracketed within the questions parameters. Being 'enlightened' is the constant that describes the heightened sense that allows a clarity that is not common to all; hence, possessing an additional sense exclusive with one's ability
It sounds like you are more in line with the western use of the term, myself I try to be a synthesis of both interpretations. I look forward to exchanging ideas with you.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Mortalsfool wrote: My personal interpretation of enlightenment is: having the ability to get a pertinent and accurate answer to any well framed question asked. It's like having 'your third eye' opened to see all available possibilities and divining the one that 'fits' into the void that's bracketed within the questions parameters. Being 'enlightened' is the constant that describes the heightened sense that allows a clarity that is not common to all; hence, possessing an additional sense exclusive with one's ability
An outstanding interpretation of enlightenment not encountered very often.
Mortalsfool

Post by Mortalsfool »

Dubious wrote:
Mortalsfool wrote: My personal interpretation of enlightenment is: having the ability to get a pertinent and accurate answer to any well framed question asked. It's like having 'your third eye' opened to see all available possibilities and divining the one that 'fits' into the void that's bracketed within the questions parameters. Being 'enlightened' is the constant that describes the heightened sense that allows a clarity that is not common to all; hence, possessing an additional sense exclusive with one's ability
An outstanding interpretation of enlightenment not encountered very often.
Hi Dubious,
It explains why I take issue with those that insist enlightenment is not 'a constant' but a periodical occurrence. When some mind opening inspiration occurs, it is not reflecting enlightenment's ways, which I argue, are a once and done deal; once enlightened, it's never absent again.

Enlightenment is different from studying something and suddenly having some insight into your queries; there is no "studying" involved! There is "seeing"! Hence, 'the third eye' is an apt analogy to use for one who sees differently. It's difficult to explain to another, because it's like a person with two eyes, attempting to describe the difference in views to a one-eyed person. While admittedly, both see the same scene in front of them, one is left trying to convince the other that there 'is a difference' the other refuses to entertain. Unless the one eyed man admits he may not be seeing everything pertinent to the view, he is limited to presenting arguments attempting to 'prove' there is no difference in views, thereby denying the other's veracity.