Hello from California

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

yiostheoy

Hello from California

Post by yiostheoy »

Greetings Philosophes!

New member here, from California.

I follow Aristotle, Descartes, Aquinas, Leibniz, Immanuel Kant, and to a certain extent the modern Empiricists.

I believe I exist, that you and others exist, that everything around us in the Universe exists at least out to 1 million light years away.

Beyond 1 million light years we really cannot tell if anything out there exists because a lot can change in 1 million years while the light from those stars and galaxies was on its way to us.

I believe in the First Cause, the Prime Mover, the Purposeful Designer, and the Artistic Artificer proofs. Although paradoxical these are a-priori. This comprises my own metaphysics.

I trust my own epistemology to the extent that I have researched things for myself.

My teleology consists of the progress of humanity in this world and the progress of mind/essence/soul in the world to come.

I am subject to professional ethics in my work and I have extended these ethics to all things that I do. I believe in ethics for the same reason as Immanuel Kant does.

My favorite Bible story is that of The Good Samaritan whom I try to emulate.
Harbal

Re: Hello from California

Post by Harbal »

yiostheoy wrote:Greetings Philosophes!

I follow Aristotle, Descartes, Aquinas, Leibniz, Immanuel Kant, and to a certain extent the modern Empiricists.

I believe I exist, that you and others exist, that everything around us in the Universe exists at least out to 1 million light years away.

Beyond 1 million light years we really cannot tell if anything out there exists because a lot can change in 1 million years while the light from those stars and galaxies was on its way to us.

I believe in the First Cause, the Prime Mover, the Purposeful Designer, and the Artistic Artificer proofs. Although paradoxical these are a-priori. This comprises my own metaphysics.

I trust my own epistemology to the extent that I have researched things for myself.

My teleology consists of the progress of humanity in this world and the progress of mind/essence/soul in the world to come.

I am subject to professional ethics in my work and I have extended these ethics to all things that I do. I believe in ethics for the same reason as Immanuel Kant does.

That's quite a good summary, the only thing you've not alluded to is your pretentiousness, which is certainly significant enough to warrant mentioning.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Harbal wrote:

That's quite a good summary, the only thing you've not alluded to is your pretentiousness, which is certainly significant enough to warrant mentioning.
At least he didn't just say 'hi', and disappear. Although, perhaps that's not such a bad thing for the average new member to do.
yiostheoy

Post by yiostheoy »

Harbal wrote:

I recognize your beautiful (so to speak) face from the other Philosophy forum.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

yiostheoy wrote: I recognize your beautiful (so to speak) face from the other Philosophy forum.
If you think my face is beautiful just wait till you get used to my mind.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Harbal wrote: That's quite a good summary, the only thing you've not alluded to is your pretentiousness, which is certainly significant enough to warrant mentioning.
lol
yiostheoy

Post by yiostheoy »

Harbal wrote:
yiostheoy wrote: I recognize your beautiful (so to speak) face from the other Philosophy forum.
... "so to speak" ... means jokingly.
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

yiostheoy wrote:
Harbal wrote:
... "so to speak" ... means jokingly.
'Ironically' perhaps?