Hi, from South Africa

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

proXy124c41

Hi, from South Africa

Post by proXy124c41 »

Hi there. Research psychologist with a love for philosophy, particularly Camus, Nietzsche, Zizek, Satre, Lacan, Marx, and so forth. Torn between my Marxist leanings and a misanthropy I feel for humanity.

But anyway, Greetings.
BigWhit

Re: Hi, from South Africa

Post by BigWhit »

Welcome!
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

proXy124c41 wrote:Hi there. Research psychologist with a love for philosophy, particularly Camus, Nietzsche, Zizek, Satre, Lacan, Marx, and so forth. Torn between my Marxist leanings and a misanthropy I feel for humanity.

But anyway, Greetings.
Very cool. Welcome. You might like your countryman, David Benatar, professor of philosophy at UCT. Ever heard of him?
tbieter

Post by tbieter »

Dalek Prime wrote:
proXy124c41 wrote:Hi there. Research psychologist with a love for philosophy, particularly Camus, Nietzsche, Zizek, Satre, Lacan, Marx, and so forth. Torn between my Marxist leanings and a misanthropy I feel for humanity.

But anyway, Greetings.
Very cool. Welcome. You might like your countryman, David Benatar, professor of philosophy at UCT. Ever heard of him?
Does Benatar experience joy from anything in existence?Has he acknowledged such in any of his writings?
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

tbieter wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:

But anyway, Greetings.
Does Benatar experience joy from anything in existence?Has he acknowledged such in any of his writings?
Of course he does. All antinatalists do. But it's not about those existing. It's about existence in general, the ethics involved in creating it anew, and questions its necessity.

Kinda funny that a misanthropist is questioning an antinatalist's ability to find joy. We like people. Actually, we question existence because we like people, and don't want them to suffer unnecessarily.

Zizek is an antinatalist, by the way, though he has children. He's been quoted as such.