I Almost Was A Philosopher

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

OccamzChainsaw

I Almost Was A Philosopher

Post by OccamzChainsaw »

I majored in philosophy and graduated with first class honours. But then I made the mistake of going to law school. Like an idiot I turned down a fellowship and allowed myself to be tortured by the legal profession for 15 years. I made a lot of money and was able to retire young. Since then I've reading and writing and I have a hobby business editing and writing for others while working on my own writing projects. My favourite philosopher is Karl Popper. Currently, I find Daniel Dennett the best. Of all time, I'd rate Bertrand Russell on top. I love reading Nietzsche. I like a good debate on any subject as long as it doesn't involve much math or quantum theory.
Dalek Prime

Re: I Almost Was A Philosopher

Post by Dalek Prime »

Though I haven't read him, seems I owe Karl Popper a great deal for originating, I believe, negative utilitarianism. Yes, I too love Bertrand Russell, but I dislike Neitzche, mainly for copping out of nihilism and affirming life and meaning, when he knew it was a crock.

Not fond of mathematical philosophy, you say? Take a gander at Russell's Introduction to Mathematical Philosophy. You might change your mind.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15603

Anyways, welcome.

PS. That philosophy degree does make you a philosopher, not just almost. And there's nothing wrong with having a legal mind, to boot.
Wyman

Post by Wyman »

OccamzChainsaw wrote:I majored in philosophy and graduated with first class honours. But then I made the mistake of going to law school. Like an idiot I turned down a fellowship and allowed myself to be tortured by the legal profession for 15 years. I made a lot of money and was able to retire young. Since then I've reading and writing and I have a hobby business editing and writing for others while working on my own writing projects. My favourite philosopher is Karl Popper. Currently, I find Daniel Dennett the best. Of all time, I'd rate Bertrand Russell on top. I love reading Nietzsche. I like a good debate on any subject as long as it doesn't involve much math or quantum theory.
We have lived somewhat parallel lives - I chose law over philosophy after being accepted into a good university graduate program. Wrestled with the decision for months when I was 21 or so. I am still being tortured, though, by the 90 percent of lawyers who give the other 10 percent a bad name. I like Nietzsche and know a bit of Popper and Russell. But I love to talk about mathematics and logic - sorry.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

OccamzChainsaw wrote:I majored in philosophy and graduated with first class honours. But then I made the mistake of going to law school. Like an idiot I turned down a fellowship and allowed myself to be tortured by the legal profession for 15 years. I made a lot of money and was able to retire young. Since then I've reading and writing and I have a hobby business editing and writing for others while working on my own writing projects. My favourite philosopher is Karl Popper. Currently, I find Daniel Dennett the best. Of all time, I'd rate Bertrand Russell on top. I love reading Nietzsche. I like a good debate on any subject as long as it doesn't involve much math or quantum theory.
Welcome to the forum. My interest in philosophy is strictly amateur, but I found it amusing that during college I, (an industrial arts major) was explaining philosophy concepts to one who claimed to be a philosophy major.

FYI, I only have 2nd hand knowledge of the philosophers you mentioned.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

As far as I know, those philosophers are outdated, and most philosophy is outdated. What 99% of all these guys on this forum are here for, is cozy chat, nothing more.

They don't grasp modern concepts like, compulsions, genetic memory, suggestion, etc, therefore they can't make any meaningful philosophy about human behaviour.

They are haplesley ignorant about mechanics, Engineering, etc, therefore they can't make anything meaningful about how to build things, which is sorely needed in a modern society.

Infact they don't know shit about anything!

I hope you can help step this forum up a bit.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

HexHammer wrote: I hope you can help step this forum up a bit.
Only mods can ban you, Hex.

Oh, I forgot you put me on block. Goodbye doodle head! :lol:
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Welcome to the forum OccamzChainsaw. Agree with Dalek Prime, sounds like you have the credentials to BE a "philosopher" to me. Sounds like you've done your due diligence serving the needs of society as one of the worker bees and have earned some free time to reflect on the world and your place in it now.

Fascinating that you bring up writing. I'm trying to break into writing a little myself (wish I could earn money at it) but have no idea where to start. I used to journal a lot but mostly gave that up after falling ill with schizo-affective disorder. I've tried to get back to journaling a couple times unsuccessfully. Life on meds seems to have taken out most of the passion in me. So I'm a bit rusty at writing and not very good at writing for an audience. Recently I started "blogging" a little here: https://garychildress.wordpress.com to try to get some practice and am interested in any pointers you might have as someone who has an avid hobby in writing.

Thanks and again, welcome to the forum.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

All the best practitioners in their academic field, either in education, or outside of it are all philosophers. If you fail to address the underlying assumptions and causes of your field you will never really appreciate what you are doing, and what might be the consequences of your actions.
Some areas of thought, though need to actively ignore the findings and questions of philosophy, in order that they can operate in their field. But to ignore something is to know what it is you need to reject. Not all people can do this, as they come up against a basis sense of integrity. Most just get blown by the wind and succeed.

I once had a discussion with a lawyer friend of mine about the amount of "unsafe" convictions, and the over-reliance on forensic flim-flam, the difficulty of juries fully understanding the way that forensics can easily bamboozle the case; and that witnesses are considered highly unreliable by psychologist who have studied this, yet can be used to rob a person of his liberty. Also the shcoking disparity between a rich man who can get a team of lawyers and PIs, yet for the average Joe, he just gets a reluctant lawyer off the self appointed by the same people that want to roast him. The discussion raged on for a while, but the phrase he was forced to use was 'Well I have to believe in that, or that x works, else I can't do my Job".

Even scientists are encourage to find positive results to preserve their funding.

So does a good philosopher make a good practitioner, or does it place a bar to his own success? Does a good philosopher in his field also have to be dishonest to get on.

There are exceptions.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Mansfield
This guy has been involved in some of the highest profile cases in the UK in the last 40 years.
If you are a lawyer you need to read his book. Memoirs of a Radical Lawyer