Intro, not for the weak of heart

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dalek Prime

Re: Intro, not for the weak of heart

Post by Dalek Prime »

thedoc wrote: Putting it into more practical terms, a biology teacher I knew once said, "When you plant corn, you usually get corn.", and the same can be said for people, no matter what the idealists tell you. And I'm not talking about good and bad, More like the inherent level of potential intelligence. Some people just don't have the potential to do very well.
Perhaps. Then again, even the best corn will fail in bad climes, drought, and poor soil, lacking nurture, thus negating any potential it may have otherwise had from its proven genetic stock. Nature and nurture both have their functions.

Anyways, this discussion originated in my unwillingness to procreate. No argument will alter that decision. I leave the future to others and wish them the best, for the little that's worth.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Dalek Prime wrote:
thedoc wrote: Putting it into more practical terms, a biology teacher I knew once said, "When you plant corn, you usually get corn.", and the same can be said for people, no matter what the idealists tell you. And I'm not talking about good and bad, More like the inherent level of potential intelligence. Some people just don't have the potential to do very well.
Perhaps. Then again, even the best corn will fail in bad climes, drought, and poor soil, lacking nurture, thus negating any potential it may have otherwise had from its proven genetic stock. Nature and nurture both have their functions.

Anyways, this discussion originated in my unwillingness to procreate. No argument will alter that decision. I leave the future to others and wish them the best, for the little that's worth.
Fair enough, and just to be clear the discussion, for my part, was not intended to change your mind, just to clarify the situation. And FYI, none of my own children were intentional, it's more like we were not trying to not have children.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

thedoc wrote:
Fair enough, and just to be clear the discussion, for my part, was not intended to change your mind, just to clarify the situation.
I was wondering. It's part of the "breeder bingo" both antinatalists and Childfree often hear.
thedoc wrote:
And FYI, none of my own children were intentional, it's more like we were not trying to not have children.
That seems to be the default state of affairs concerning procreation.

"A coin is turned around before it is handed to the beggar, yet a child is unflinchingly tossed into cosmic bruteness.”
~ Peter Wessel Zapffe
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Dalek Prime wrote: I was wondering. It's part of the "breeder bingo" both antinatalists and Childfree often hear.

I really don't have an agenda for coming on a forum, I'm just exploring different ideas and trying to learn new concepts, I'm not here to fight.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

I got that feeling already from you, Doc. You have my respect, and my best wishes... Cheers.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Dalek Prime wrote:I got that feeling already from you, Doc. You have my respect, and my best wishes... Cheers.

BTW, I noticed something but haven't gotten around to asking, based on your used ID here, are you a Dr Who fan. I am currently recording the original series on RETRO TV, I've only seen a few of the newer series, but I did see the 1st episode where Sylvester McCoy regenerated into the new Dr.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Very much so. I'm particularly fond of the Daleks, who try so hard to conquer the universe, and fail so miserably every time. :)
Even have a twelve inch remote control one that I used to play with my cat. ,,,^..^,,,~

Postscript: Wait. Does that mean you haven't seen the Tom Baker episodes yet? They are truly my favorites. Hope you enjoy them. :)
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Dalek Prime wrote:Very much so. I'm particularly fond of the Daleks, who try so hard to conquer the universe, and fail so miserably every time. :)
Even have a twelve inch remote control one that I used to play with my cat. ,,,^..^,,,~

Postscript: Wait. Does that mean you haven't seen the Tom Baker episodes yet? They are truly my favorites. Hope you enjoy them. :)
No, 'Robot' was the first episode I ever saw back in the 80's and I watched as many as I could, (just about every one), on the local PBS station till they stopped broadcasting them. I had almost the entire early series from Hartnell to McCoy on video tape but lost them a few years ago. Now I'm recording them on DVD and the broadcast is getting into Davidson, they just finished Baker. BTW have you ever seen Tom Baker as Sherlock Holmes? He stared in a version of "The Hound of the Baskervilles" and I think he was almost as good as Brett, unfortunately the supporting cast wasn't very good and at times it seemed like they were reading their lines from cue cards.

PS. the series is running on RETRO TV and apparently the station gets the programs as a feed from another source, and that source is running sequentially, so if RETRO decides to preempt the broadcast for something of more local interest, I miss those episodes. Last night there was a severe storm and everything was preempted to broadcast the reports about the storm, so I missed "Black Orchid" which would have been one of the few times I could get a full series in one showing. RETRO broadcasts 'Who' for an hour and this would have been both 1/2 hour episodes.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

I may have seen Baker as Holmes, but my recall is that poor.

I'm afraid that, when an actor has imprinted on me in a certain role, because I enjoyed it so much, it is difficult for me to imagine him in another. Tom Baker will always be for me, The Doctor. Not that I don't enjoy the others, but he is the archetype of what I expect of all Doctors. And Jeremy Brett was such a fantastic Sherlock Holmes, he became what I expect that character to be.

Davidson I did not give a fair shake to, admittedly, because I loved him in "All Creatures Great and Small", and saw him as Tristan Farnon. So I stopped watching Doctor Who around that time, until the restart of the series, around 2000 or so. I've been happy with pretty much every Doctor they've had, although I pull my hair out with anxiety every time a new one comes along! Until I'm satisfied. :shock: :wink:

Wow. I just realized how hard I am to please lol!
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Dalek Prime wrote: :shock: :wink:

You might be the kind of person who ruins an actors career, if you tend to type-cast them into a particular role and character. Do you know what happened to George Reeves the TV superman?
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

thedoc wrote:

You might be the kind of person who ruins an actors career, if you tend to type-cast them into a particular role and character. Do you know what happened to George Reeves the TV superman?
Actually, no one does for sure. Some believe it wasn't a suicide, but an unsolved homicide....

Okay, I get your point. I'm just being contrarian for fun, now. :lol:
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Dalek Prime wrote:
thedoc wrote:

Actually, no one does for sure. Some believe it wasn't a suicide, but an unsolved homicide....

Okay, I get your point. I'm just being contrarian for fun, now. :lol:
What's OK, it happens a lot, I do it myself sometimes.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Hope you don't mind my bringing the Hitchhiker's Guide talk over here.

I used to have the DVD of the series, but I think I sold it in a paring down of my collection to essentials. I've never seen the newer movie. It struck me as awful, so I didn't bother.

I do recommend, if you haven't heard it, the original radio dramatization. It's brilliant. Mind, I have a great fondness for radio drama in general.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

I refuse to breed to continue this useless march into the future of mankind, for someone else's utility ie. the state, the wealthy who control the state, or some warped demiurge that instigated the whole thing, to see how his puppets suffer whilst praising him.

Welcome Aboard!

Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Why, thank you Bill! It's a pleasure! :)