Intro, not for the weak of heart

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dalek Prime

Re: Intro, not for the weak of heart

Post by Dalek Prime »

Wasn't inconsistent. But thanks for not harping on it too much, anyways.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Dalek Prime wrote:Wasn't inconsistent. ...
Didn't say inconsistent but incongruent as one, 'we' appear to wish to have babies and, two, you wish to have no 'we'.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Okay, now you're harping. I was talking to Nicola, who does agree, and referring to antinatalists in the 'we'. Not the plural 'you', whom you seem okay to speak for.
ncrbrts

Post by ncrbrts »

Arising_uk wrote:
ncrbrts wrote:Antinatalist - yes! I wish I had not succumbed to the ticking of my biological clock and had a child in a world that I hate (this is not the weary statement of a petulant teenager, but a genuine conclusion after years of thought).
What do you hate about him?
I hate the parts of myself I see in him.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Dalek Prime wrote:Okay, now you're harping. I was talking to Nicola, who does agree, and referring to antinatalists in the 'we'. Not the plural 'you', whom you seem okay to speak for.
Oh! My apologies, I thought you were talking about the rest of us not you antinatalists. Although she is not exactly one of the club.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

ncrbrts wrote:I hate the parts of myself I see in him.
So you hate yourself, why did you put those parts in?
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Arising_uk wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:Okay, now you're harping. I was talking to Nicola, who does agree, and referring to antinatalists in the 'we'. Not the plural 'you', whom you seem okay to speak for.
Oh! My apologies, I thought you were talking about the rest of us not you antinatalists. Although she is not exactly one of the club.
The author of "Confessions of an Antinatalist" is not child free, either. But still an antinatalist.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Dalek Prime wrote:The author of "Confessions of an Antinatalist" is not child free, either. But still an antinatalist.
That's handy for them.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

I get you don't agree. But stop being a dick about it.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

How so? Anyone who has children and then argues the anti-natalist stance is pretty much a hypocrite as they wish to deny others what they have, I also think it very easy for males to take this position as by and large males are indifferent to having children. Personally I admire that you had the courage of your convictions at such a young age, I'm not sure of your reasons at that time as as you say you had not heard of anti-natalism so it may just have been you not wanting them rather than some moral of saving the unborn from suffering but either way I think it should be you writing about it rather than those who appear to just be unhappy post-natalists. All in all I do agree that parents should think hard before having children but my take is simple, existence is better than non-existence and if it gets all to much then everyone if free to choose to shuffle off this mortal coil whenever they wish.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

We're just going to keep banging heads, as I did with SOB, so I'll just say thank you for the sentiment in your post here, and in the religion forum.
ncrbrts

Post by ncrbrts »

Arising_uk wrote:existence is better than non-existence and if it gets all to much then everyone if free to choose to shuffle off this mortal coil whenever they wish.
How is existence better than non-existence? I would be interested to know your thoughts on this.

I make attempts on shuffling off this mortal coil regularly. The reasons psychiatric professionals give me for continuing my existence are entirely based on the fact that I am a mother.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Even if you weren't a mother, they'd just give you another reason, Nicola. For myself, I'm glad you're around, and on this forum... Yeah, I'm being selfish :lol:

Btw, existence for the nonexistent is irrelevant, because there is no mind contemplating it. For the existent, it's not, even if we don't like it. And for other existent's, such as your children, your existence is important. I'm not arguing with you, Nicola. I'm just following the reasoning. Most existents will, by there very existence, value existence over non-existence. But, as a friend says, "life (existence) may be worth living, but it's not worth starting".
Last edited by Dalek Prime on Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

ncrbrts wrote:How is existence better than non-existence? I would be interested to know your thoughts on this.
What value can you ascribe to non-existence?
I make attempts on shuffling off this mortal coil regularly.
Why attempt?
The reasons psychiatric professionals give me for continuing my existence are entirely based on the fact that I am a mother.
I thought you said you hated your kid?
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Arising_uk wrote:How so? Anyone who has children and then argues the anti-natalist stance is pretty much a hypocrite...
By your reasoning, recovering alcoholics and drug addicts are hypocritical and unworthy of counseling others away from addiction, but those who never experienced addiction, are qualified. So are ex-convicts, who counsel kids to stay away from crime. Or a former cult member. I could go on.