Arising_uk

Re: Intro, not for the weak of heart

Post by Arising_uk »

I'm crushed.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Arising_uk wrote:I'm crushed.
Crushed? Okay, you're an abused dick lol!
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Sob! Sob! You're causing me pain and suffering.

Er! Doesn't that undercut your moral position somewhat?
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Arising_uk wrote:Sob! Sob! You're causing me pain and suffering.

Er! Doesn't that undercut your moral position somewhat?
Your pain and suffering is my version of Singer's Paris exemption.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Why am I not surprised that you'd be a follower of Singer, anything but your own eh!
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Arising_uk wrote:Why am I not surprised that you'd be a follower of Singer, anything but your own eh!
Your brain makes the most stupid leaps in logic. I joke about the Paris exemption, and you assume I'm a follower of Singer. Just plumb stupid.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Arising_uk wrote:Why am I not surprised that you'd be a follower of Singer, anything but your own eh!
My own? Are you a secret bigot, Arising? I think you are.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Since I note you're following this dialogue, AS, allow it to continue, uninterrupted, if you please. Arising is not interested in the topic, per se, but in the trolling. Otherwise, he would have commented on a thread which someone else started on Benatar and antinatalism. Funny he didn't care to get involved in that, but since I didn't start the topic, he didn't care. Here's the topic...

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15952
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

thedoc wrote:I haven't been able to read everything, but from what I have read and heard in the past, I deny that the pain and suffering is so great that it should be avoided. From what I have seen of my own life and other peoples lives there is a great of joy and happiness and only a minor bit of suffering and pain. Only a pessimist would dwell so much on the suffering, that they fail to see the joy and happiness that is living. I see a preponderance of wonder and excitement in the world, and I want to share that with others. To deny others the opportunity to see the beauty of the world, would be to inflict a great deal of the pain of absence to others. Beauty and wonder is to be shared, not horded and selfishly kept to one's self. If you see only pain and suffering in the world, you are blind to reality.
At least you admit you haven't read anything on it. Fair enough, Doc.

To respond in kind, "only an optimist would dwell so much on the joy of the world for themselves, that they ignore the suffering of others in this world, and forget their own, to boot."

The preponderance of the wonder and excitement that you see in the world is specific to you. If I randomly asked another, that view will differ. So I'll take that with a grain of salt as your opinion.

Now, who is being denied the opportunity of seeing the beauty of the world? Who is selfishly hoarding this, and keeping it to himself? Me? Again, from who? Please answer this question in detail, and also answer to why, after being told otherwise, you claim to know my mind, and say I cannot see beauty in the world myself. I do. And as I've repeated, "life may be worth living, but it's not worth starting". Huge difference, but you focus only on the second part of that statement, for some strange reason.
artisticsolution

Post by artisticsolution »

Dalek Prime wrote:Since I note you're following this dialogue, AS, allow it to continue, uninterrupted, if you please.
Sorry dalek, I rarely do what I'm told. I haven't been following this thread for a few days as I've been busy fighting in a few of my own threads...lol.

I did go to the link you provided and I haven't really given the subject much thought before. Suffering? I've only known suffering as, a child really. As an adult, I'd rather kill someone or die that to suffer again. ..cause I'm a bit of a bitch.

But yeah, I do think of death...and I hope it is painless for me, not worried about not existing and not really worried that anyone will miss me enough to cry / suffer.

I've already had children so I can't undo that...lol...but I do worry.

Tell me, do you think if they suffer in life it will be my doing since I was the one who brought them into the world?

As for you and arising...I don't know Wth is going on. I haven't read every thread to know what's up with you 2. Just seems odd to me. I must have missed something.

I used to know this woman who would say she was 'suffering' from a cold. And yeah...I didn't have much sympathy for that...but I would if she was suffering from cancer.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Dalek Prime wrote:My own? ...
You think yourself a different species?
Are you a secret bigot, Arising? I think you are.
If you mean by this that in certain situations I'd prefer my species over other species then there is no secret about it.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Arising_uk wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:My own? ...
You think yourself a different species?.
I think most people on the Forum think of him as a completely different species.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Dalek Prime wrote:Since I note you're following this dialogue, AS, allow it to continue, uninterrupted, if you please. Arising is not interested in the topic, per se, but in the trolling. ...
How can this be trolling since I'm continuing a conversation?
Otherwise, he would have commented on a thread which someone else started on Benatar and antinatalism. Funny he didn't care to get involved in that, but since I didn't start the topic, he didn't care. ...
Nothing funny about it as one discussion upon the topic is generally enough for me but I'll take a peek since you mention it.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Why bother. You haven't read the book. Oh right, it doesn't matter to you.