Howdy

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Catareta

Howdy

Post by Catareta »

Hi there, my name is of no importance as what we are named is really nothing compared to our true identity.

But I am in my twenties and am a sociology and psychology student through the OU and have a strong interest in the question why?

Hope to get involved in many conversations.
mickthinks

Post by mickthinks »

Welcome to the funny farm! I hope you like us enough to stay.
amateurphilosophynerd

Funny Farm being the operative term ATM

Post by amateurphilosophynerd »

Funny Farm being the operative term at the moment the ways things have been going on here.
Welcome Catereta sounds like a version of Kat er rina Katherine in real life.??(greek names sound much nicer!!)
from one of PN Welcome Team.
Morpheus

Post by Morpheus »

Hello Catareta,

Welcome! I promise you, compared to several other bods on this site, I'm only ever so slightly crazy. But don't let that put you off. Here you will also encounter a great deal of intellectual gesturing and punch ups galore, tempered by Harry's pearls of wisdom, music and poetry, occasional profundity and a shed load of fun!
Catareta

Post by Catareta »

Thank you for all the welcomes, great to be welcomed

Nerd my nickname is the boat I lived and worked on a few years back... and loved it since..
Duncan Butlin

Post by Duncan Butlin »

Good evening, Ms. Catareta,

Please forgive me for assigning you a sex, but I cannot even start to talk to you, without imagining you one way or the other. Please see my Wiki link (in my signature line below) for some background on this.

I too welcome you to the site, but I am less pessimistic about the outcome: some people talk real sense here, in amongst the dross, and it is worth listening to them. Of course, I’d like to think I am one of them!

I must warn you about the Open University, though. The feminists have social science under their control. I met a lecturer from the OU Philosophy Department, back in 1995, and she went to great pains to warn me about it. Even so long ago, she estimated that 80% of the departments had been taken over!

So I wish you luck on your courses; please fight the political bias as vigourously as you can; and I also wish you good luck on this forum.

My opinions: in psychology, whatever you do, treat Richard D. Gross’s ‘Psychology’ with suspicion (Erving Goffman is far, far better); and in sociology (despite the fact that she is often misquoted) I recommend Professor Margaret Mead. In a review for the USA ‘Red Book’, of Professor Steven Goldberg’s 1973 book ‘The Inevitability of Patriarchy’, she said the following:

================
“ ... persuasive and accurate. It is true, as Professor Goldberg points out, that all those claims so glibly made about societies ruled by women are nonsense. We have no reason to believe that they ever existed. ... men everywhere have been in charge of running the show. ... men have always been the leaders in public affairs and the final authorities at home.”
================

I am afraid this may no longer be entirely true -- but this what I am trying to fix.
amateurphilosophynerd

Hi Caterera fellow Colcestrian

Post by amateurphilosophynerd »

I live in Colchester too! howdy!
Santa APN