My Introduction

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Vulcan Logician

My Introduction

Post by Vulcan Logician »

Hello guys,

I am in my sophomore year of college earning a dual BS in computer science and philosophy. I have been interested in philosophy since I was first able to ask questions. I am very familiar with Thoreau and Nietzsche. I am interested in (but not yet familiar with) the Stoics, Kierkegaard, Emerson, Sartre, and Foucault. My favorite philosopher is Socrates.

I am reading the Republic between semesters, and I hope to be able to get into some discussions about it, as it seems to raise more questions than it answers. I am also willing to give any insights I may have to help another with his or her reading of a work. That's about it.

Let's have some fun.
thedoc

Re: My Introduction

Post by thedoc »

Hello Vulcan, Are you, by chance, a Trekkie? And which is your favorite Spock?
Vulcan Logician

Yes, I am a Trekkie. How did you guess? Nimoy is my favorite Spock, but I don't dislike the new Spock or anything. Are you a Trekkie?
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Vulcan Logician wrote:Yes, I am a Trekkie. How did you guess? Nimoy is my favorite Spock, but I don't dislike the new Spock or anything. Are you a Trekkie?

Not really, I did watch the original series, when originally broadcast, (yes I'm old). Next generation was good, but not as. Voyager didn't appeal to me, too many improbabilities. Didn't watch Far Point Station, or Enterprise, but I think I have seen most of the movies. With Enterprise, I was concerned about watching and being disappointed, so I didn't watch. Being disappointed has happened too many times with other movies and TV shows.
omtimnews

Post by omtimnews »

hai vulcan :)
Vulcan Logician

Hi omtimnews!!!
Vulcan Logician

thedoc wrote:
Not really, I did watch the original series, when originally broadcast, (yes I'm old). Next generation was good, but not as. Voyager didn't appeal to me, too many improbabilities. Didn't watch Far Point Station, or Enterprise, but I think I have seen most of the movies. With Enterprise, I was concerned about watching and being disappointed, so I didn't watch. Being disappointed has happened too many times with other movies and TV shows.
I hear ya. But it's not Farpoint Station it's Deep Space 9. Farpoint was the planetary colony featured in the pilot of Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Good hunting!
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Vulcan Logician wrote:
thedoc wrote:
I hear ya. But it's not Farpoint Station it's Deep Space 9. Farpoint was the planetary colony featured in the pilot of Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Good hunting!

Yes, and now is where I say "I knew that, and was testing you", Ha!, no such luck, I really just got mixed up because I didn't watch.

I think my biggest disappointment, that I actually was talked into going to see, was the re-make of 'Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy'. I had read the books (all five of the trilogy?) and had the original BBC production on tape, so when I watched the new version, I kept saying (out loud sometimes) "where did that come from?" My older daughter (who talked me into going) kept trying to hush me to be quiet. I must admit that the movie, if taken by itself with no reference to the books, was funny, but it had only a superficial resemblance to the original story.
WanderingLands

Post by WanderingLands »

Vulcan Logician wrote:Hello guys,

I am in my sophomore year of college earning a dual BS in computer science and philosophy. I have been interested in philosophy since I was first able to ask questions. I am very familiar with Thoreau and Nietzsche. I am interested in (but not yet familiar with) the Stoics, Kierkegaard, Emerson, Sartre, and Foucault. My favorite philosopher is Socrates.

I am reading the Republic between semesters, and I hope to be able to get into some discussions about it, as it seems to raise more questions than it answers. I am also willing to give any insights I may have to help another with his or her reading of a work. That's about it.

Let's have some fun.
The Stoics and those in Existentialism and Transcendentalism are always good to learn from. I too especially like Frederich Nietzsche, because his ideas (ie. Overman, Will to Power) are very resonating to me, and seems to be a lot more something of spirituality and esoteric thought.
Vulcan Logician

WanderingLands wrote:The Stoics and those in Existentialism and Transcendentalism are always good to learn from. I too especially like Frederich Nietzsche, because his ideas (ie. Overman, Will to Power) are very resonating to me, and seems to be a lot more something of spirituality and esoteric thought.
Yes, I am not terribly interested in epistemology (I'll sign off at logical empiricism or perhaps Kuhn) but the other branches interest me greatly. I gravitate toward thinkers who seem to be digging up something spiritual. The writings of Nietzsche, in particular, are far more spiritual than anything I've found in the Bible.