Should I have a fourth jab?

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Maia

Re: Should I have a fourth jab?

Post by Maia »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:53 pm Aged care facilities are where you go at the END OF YOUR LIFE. They are where people go TO DIE. Does anyone see anything wrong with the equation where everyone is forced to have a vaccine to PRESERVE the life of people who are AT THE END OF THEIR LIFE?

If you lived here you would HAVE to have the vaccine or you would lose your job.
It's not that sort of facility. It's a fitness club for the elderly.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

I had someone very close to me who worked in the construction industry. Here, they were forced to get the vaccine or not be allowed to work. He died inexplicably in his sleep soon after having the second jab. It was put down to 'sudden unexplained death'. I don't have a big circle of people I know, yet I've personally known two people (both male) who have died in this way after having it.
And I'm simply saying exactly what happened. No 'conspiracy theories'. It could just be a huge coincidence for all I know.
Last edited by vegetariantaxidermy on Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vegetariantaxidermy

Maia wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:55 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:53 pm Aged care facilities are where you go at the END OF YOUR LIFE. They are where people go TO DIE. Does anyone see anything wrong with the equation where everyone is forced to have a vaccine to PRESERVE the life of people who are AT THE END OF THEIR LIFE?

If you lived here you would HAVE to have the vaccine or you would lose your job.
You would still have to have the vaccine here.
Maia

Post by Maia »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:59 pm I had someone very close to me who worked in the construction industry. Here, they were forced to get the vaccine or not be allowed to work. He died inexplicably in his sleep soon after having the second jab. It was put down to 'sudden unexplained death'. I don't have a big circle of people I know, yet I've personally known two people (both male) who have died in this way after having it.
And I'm simply saying exactly what happened. No 'conspiracy theories'. It could just be an incredibly coincidence for all I know.
I don't agree with forcing people to get the jab. I can't comment on his death though, though it's certainly tragic.
Maia

Post by Maia »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:00 pm
Maia wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:55 pm

You would still have to have the vaccine here.
Where is "here"?
vegetariantaxidermy

Vaccines have always been about protecting YOURSELF against a disease, not about preventing OTHER people from getting it. It doesn't make any logical sense however you look at it.
Maia

Post by Maia »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:04 pm Vaccines have always been about protecting YOURSELF against a disease, not about preventing OTHER people from getting something. It doesn't make any logical sense however you look at it.
As I understand it, vaccines help build up herd immunity, as well as individual protection.
vegetariantaxidermy

Maia wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:05 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:04 pm Vaccines have always been about protecting YOURSELF against a disease, not about preventing OTHER people from getting something. It doesn't make any logical sense however you look at it.
As I understand it, vaccines help build up herd immunity, as well as individual protection.
And what does that actually mean? If you have a vaccine, then presumably you are protected from whatever disease you are vaccinated for. If you don't have the vaccine then you are likely to catch the disease. Catching it also adds to 'herd immunity'.
It would have to be the weirdest virus ever, with many people getting no symptoms at all, and when they do get symptoms those symptoms are so many and varied that they wouldn't even be recognised as coming from the same virus.
With colds and flu the symptoms are pretty much identical in everyone. When you do a search on any illness you will get a list of symptoms for that illness. That's not possible with this covid virus.
Maia

Post by Maia »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:27 pm
And what does that actually mean? If you have a vaccine, then presumably you are protected from whatever disease you are vaccinated for. If you don't have the vaccine then you are likely to catch the disease. Catching it also adds to 'herd immunity'.
It would have to be the weirdest virus ever, with many people getting no symptoms at all, and when they do get symptoms those symptoms are so many and varied that they wouldn't even be recognised as coming from the same virus.
With colds and flu the symptoms are pretty much identical in everyone. When you do a search on any illness you will get a list of symptoms for that illness. That's not possible with this covid virus.
Vaccines are not 100% effective, and that's twice you seem to have asserted that they are (or should be, or whatever). If I have the jab, but a person I meet doesn't, I still might pass it on, or vice versa. If both of us have the jab, the risk is lower. It's honestly not rocket science.
vegetariantaxidermy

Maia wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:32 pm

Vaccines are not 100% effective, and that's twice you seem to have asserted that they are (or should be, or whatever). If I have the jab, but a person I meet doesn't, I still might pass it on, or vice versa. If both of us have the jab, the risk is lower. It's honestly not rocket science.
Then that was their choice not to have it. What does it have to do with you?

Is the influenza jab give to protect others? I'm sure it's not '100 percent effective' either.
Last edited by vegetariantaxidermy on Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maia

Post by Maia »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:34 pm

They are more likely to spread disease to me, that's what it has to do with me.
vegetariantaxidermy

Maia wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:35 pm

Then get the jab and you won't have to worry about it. Watch out for those selfish buggers who don't get the influenza jab...
Maia

Post by Maia »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:36 pm

Then get the jab and you won't have to worry about it. Watch out for those selfish buggers who don't get the influenza jab...
That's the third time you have appeared to think that the jab is 100% effective.
vegetariantaxidermy

Maia wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:39 pm

That's the third time you have appeared to think that the jab is 100% effective.
Never said it was. Get it then, on the 'rare occurrence that it doesn't work'. You might just save the life of a hypothetical old person :D
Last edited by vegetariantaxidermy on Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maia

Post by Maia »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:42 pm
Maia wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:39 pm

Never said it was.
Your implication that me getting a jab will completely protect me from the unvaccinated would indicate otherwise.