Should I have a fourth jab?

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Maia

Should I have a fourth jab?

Post by Maia »

Autumn is upon us and according to some, Covid is on the rise again, and we are being told we can book another jab.

I've had three already, my third last December. I certainly don't think I'm at any great risk from Covid myself, being relatively young and pretty healthy, but I do, however, work with the elderly and vulnerable. And while I don't subscribe to any of the more hysterical conspiracy theories, I'm also very reluctant to have chemicals injected into my body, simply as a matter of principle.
Gary Childress

Re: Should I have a fourth jab?

Post by Gary Childress »

Maia wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:24 am Autumn is upon us and according to some, Covid is on the rise again, and we are being told we can book another jab.

I've had three already, my third last December. I certainly don't think I'm at any great risk from Covid myself, being relatively young and pretty healthy, but I do, however, work with the elderly and vulnerable. And while I don't subscribe to any of the more hysterical conspiracy theories, I'm also very reluctant to have chemicals injected into my body, simply as a matter of principle.
Yeah. It's a difficult decision to make whether or not to put chemicals in the body. I've been on very potent ones for half my life. It's not fun. The chemicals I'm on radically alter the brain and metabolism in ways that are both stabiilizing and detrimental. I take them so that I don't go insane to the point that no one can do anything for me or with me. I don't know if vaccines are in the same class as anti-psychotics and anti-depressants, that they have side effects to the same degree or at all, but I can definitely relate to the feeling of wanting to be chemical-free. Not that it's even possible anymore. I mean, apparently, microplastics are everywhere now (including in our bodies) and God only knows what effects they have or will have in the long run.
Maia

Post by Maia »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:12 am
Maia wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:24 am Autumn is upon us and according to some, Covid is on the rise again, and we are being told we can book another jab.

Yeah. It's a difficult decision to make whether or not to put chemicals in the body. I've been on very potent ones for half my life. It's not fun. The chemicals I'm on radically alter the brain and metabolism in ways that are both stabiilizing and detrimental. I take them so that I don't go insane to the point that no one can do anything for me or with me. I don't know if vaccines are in the same class as anti-psychotics and anti-depressants, that they have side effects to the same degree or at all, but I can definitely relate to the feeling of wanting to be chemical-free. Not that it's even possible anymore. I mean, apparently, microplastics are everywhere now (including in our bodies) and God only knows what effects they have or will have in the long run.
There have been some serious side effects reported for the vaccine, but these are very rare. After my first one I had a couple of days feeling quite ill, with "flu-like" symptoms, as they called it, something of a novelty for me, as I almost never even get a cold, touch wood. It's just the thought of polluting my body that disturbs me, and I'm inclining towards not having it.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Maia wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:19 am

There have been some serious side effects reported for the vaccine, but these are very rare. After my first one I had a couple of days feeling quite ill, with "flu-like" symptoms, as they called it, something of a novelty for me, as I almost never even get a cold, touch wood. It's just the thought of polluting my body that disturbs me, and I'm inclining towards not having it.
I got ill for a couple of days after my first vaccine shot. I don't recall anything happening with the second or the booster, but I wish you luck in whatever you decide.
Maia

Post by Maia »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:24 am
Maia wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:19 am

I got ill for a couple of days after my first vaccine shot. I don't recall anything happening with the second or the booster, but I wish you luck in whatever you decide.
Thanks.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Maia wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:24 am we are being told we can book another jab.
Considering that my partner and I got very sick with Covid for several weeks despite having two shots and just before our 3rd (the booster), he and I have decided that we've had enough. We don't intend to have any more jabs.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Are you ninety nine years old or at death's door? If not then what's the point?
Maia

Post by Maia »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:56 pm Are you ninety nine years old or at death's door? If not then what's the point?
As I said, I work with the elderly.
vegetariantaxidermy

Maia wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:06 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:56 pm Are you ninety nine years old or at death's door? If not then what's the point?
So? I'm sure they will be 'safely vaccinated' so that their lives can be stretched out a teensy bit further (or so they tell us).
Maia

Post by Maia »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:10 pm
So? I'm sure they will be 'safely vaccinated' so that their lives can be stretched out a teensy bit further (or so they tell us).
There's still a chance I could pass it to them, even if only a small one.
vegetariantaxidermy

Maia wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:12 pm

Are you suggesting the vaccine doesn't work? Surely not! The very old can just as easily die of a cold, or a fall, or the 'flu, or forgetting to breathe....
Maia

Post by Maia »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:32 pm

Are you suggesting the vaccine doesn't work? Surely not! The very old can just as easily die of a cold, or a fall, or the 'flu, or forgetting to breathe....
It's not 100% effective, especially in the elderly.

You're not a conspiracy theorist, are you?
vegetariantaxidermy

Maia wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:39 pm

Here we go. That's a bit rich coming from someone who believes in magic. Get the bloody jab then. There might be some 99 year old with dementia who won't get to live to 100 otherwise. Why are you asking us?
Sociey is pretty sick, forcing young, healthy people to have a vaccine in order to preserve ancients in care facilities. What's next? Breeding them to be organ donors?
Maia

Post by Maia »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:46 pm
Maia wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:39 pm

Here we go. That's a bit rich coming from someone who believes in magic. Get the bloody jab then. There might be some 99 year old with dementia who won't get to live to 100 otherwise. Why are you asking us?
Sociey is pretty sick, forcing young, healthy people to have a vaccine in order to preserve ancients in care facilities. What's next? Breeding them to be organ donors?
I actually work in a care facility, so it's a bit different.

I've pretty much made up my mind, but a discussion about it doesn't hurt.
vegetariantaxidermy

Aged care facilities are where you go at the END OF YOUR LIFE. They are where people go TO DIE. Does anyone see anything wrong with the equation where everyone is forced to have a vaccine to PRESERVE the life of people who are AT THE END OF THEIR LIFE?

If you lived here you would HAVE to have the vaccine or you would lose your job.