Vaccine Passports are Systemically Racist?

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Immanuel Can

Vaccine Passports are Systemically Racist?

Post by Immanuel Can »

"I myself have worked in the health-care system for decades, and there clearly is structural and systemic barriers and racism for certain groups…. There's no question about that. People that have been discriminated against are going to be far more hesitant to get the vaccine"

-- Kerry Bowman, U of Toronto Bioethicist, in article titled, "Vaccine passports are a 'huge ethical minefield."

"My concern is, [is my workplace] going to just enforce it at a certain point? So what do you do? You have to take it whether you're scared or not. I don't speak for every African-American, but I must say, a high percentage of the African-American community population are not taking it, not because [of] just the fear, [but] because it seems to them, and to me also, that it's been taking away our human rights. "

-- African-American woman outside a vaccine clinic.

"...the biggest issue with vaccine passports is whether they’d discriminate against the poor and minorities, who are hindered in getting vaccinations."

-- Michael Ulrich, School of Public Health

"By all accounts, we believe that inequities in access to vaccines will be replicated in vaccine passports, meaning that access to public, private, professional, and international spaces may be interrupted for marginalized people who cannot or chose not to be vaccinated. Vulnerable groups like undocumented people may fear requirements to provide documentation that ties immunity to location and movement restrictions."

-- Joanne Mukogosi, researcher, "Data and Society."

These experts fear that imposing vaccine passports will further marginalize oppresed communities of persons, denying them access to basic rights and services...the very defnition, according to people like Ibrahim X. Kendi, of "systemic" or "institutional" racism.

Do you agree with them or not?
vegetariantaxidermy

Re: Vaccine Passports are Systemically Racist?

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

No. They are wankers.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:33 am These experts fear that imposing vaccine passports will further marginalize oppresed communities of persons, denying them access to basic rights and services...the very defnition, according to people like Ibrahim X. Kendi, of "systemic" or "institutional" racism.

Me: I'm less concerned about how any sub-population is affected and way more concerned about how everyone is affected by...
ADF437D9-738C-482C-9F76-02BF23CFCF0F.jpeg
ADF437D9-738C-482C-9F76-02BF23CFCF0F.jpeg (63.61 KiB) Viewed 4695 times

gosh, that's two memes in one day...I may have fallen off the wagon
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:27 am

gosh, that's two memes in one day...I may have fallen off the wagon
Do not worry about that, we all know what's going on in the world of politics without ever having to open our mouths.

A meme can be a quicker and more intentional way to point to a point. A picture can paint a thousand words without even putting in the effort that a pen in hand requires. So I prefer 'memes or quotes' to what is otherwise, just laborious mind numbingly boring word salad.

Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:33 am
''Predatory'' is probably a more accurate word to describe, than ''Racist''

This planet is our home, yet we have invented PASSPORTS to allow us access to our own planet. Why, because we do not trust each other. Simple as that. Why don't we trust each other? because we are predators, plain and simple.

All humans are the same fundamental being, we are all the same when naked. We all exhibit the same fundamental characteristics and behaviours. Those humans that branch off into religious and political cults, are the worse kind of predators on the planet.

Humans are predatory creatures, full stop, just get over it already.

Every sentient creature born to life, is in a perpetual battle from cradle to grave, for resources and territory. Human species have been systematically stripping away other sentient life forms who live on this planet of their will to survive for thousands of years.. when rats over-run the place, they are exterminated.

A world over-populated by the human species, will no doubt reach a tipping point, so it comes as no surprise that a culling back is needed, it's just how nature operates.

Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

One more factoid that seriously needs to be remembered. It's a fact not only shared among anti-vaxxers, but one openly admitted and acted upon by the pro-vax contingents. In fact, it's the reason why "social distancing," "lockdowns" and "face masks" continue to be used in countries and places where most people are already vaccinated. So it's the reason the pro-vaxxers give for continuing these practices.

In other words, it's one of the few facts that both sides completely agree upon. Here it is:

The vaccinations do not prevent the spreading of COVID 19.

A vaccinated person is just as capable of transmitting the virus as any unvaccinated one. Period.

Given that fact, what does the vaccine passport actually achieve? It cannot prevent people from infecting each other, so long as they continue to be in any contact, regardless of their vax status. It cannot abate the effects of COVID 19, since passports do not do that.

It's sole purpose must be to discriminate against those who are not yet vaxed, punishing them by excluding them from parts of society until they comply. It can achieve nothing else. It will not protect any of the vaxxed against infection, transmission, sickness or death...which is as likely to come from each other than from anybody unvaxxed...indeed, more so, since only the vaxxed are allowed to cluster together. :shock:

So what is the justification for permitting the "systemic" racism inherent in "vaccine passports," if such there be?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:20 pm
So what is the justification for permitting the "systemic" racism inherent in "vaccine passports," if such there be?
Sinners know no other way to be. I thought your heavenly biological father warned you about that, remember. :shock:

If your heavenly sky daddy, aka no one but your 'me' 'self' and 'I' belief :shock: is going to call itself a sinner, then surely it must be justified to play that role well, good and proper, else you're just going to be made to look like an outright liar.
And it would be just so unjust to expect a sinner to be any other way, or anything else. :shock:

Showing a fly the way out of a bottle doesn't work for the fly, the fly has to figure it's own way out.

henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Showing a fly the way out of a bottle doesn't work for the fly, the fly has to figure it's own way out.

smash the bottle
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:44 pm Showing a fly the way out of a bottle doesn't work for the fly, the fly has to figure it's own way out.

smash the bottle
Flies cannot smash their way out of a bottle in the same context existence cannot smash it's way of existence.

Few would ever dream of leaving the prison walls, if they really knew what was on the outside.

henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Flies cannot smash their way out of a bottle in the same context existence cannot smash it's way of existence.

you can smash the bottle for it

Few would ever dream of leaving the prison walls, if they really knew what was on the outside.

everyone would smash them walls, if they recognized 'em as walls
mickthinks

Post by mickthinks »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:20 pmThe vaccinations do not prevent the spreading of COVID 19 among those who don't get vaccinated.
I've fixed that for you, Manny. (No need to thank me.)

COVID deaths are three times higher in Trump counties
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Countries with low vaccination rates and high death rates are getting herd immunity. What a surprise :roll:
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:06 pm
everyone would smash them walls, if they recognized 'em as walls
There are no walls, only imagined ones. Nothing can harm you, nothing can enslave you, nothing is you. And nothing cannot exist.

Do your metaphysics, or it will do you.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

mickthinks wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:37 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:20 pmThe vaccinations do not prevent the spreading of COVID 19
Mickthinks added.. among those who don't get vaccinated.
Sorry, you're wrong. And it's the vaxxers who say you're wrong.

If you were right, then why keep vaccinated people in masks? Why keep them social-distanced? If they're immune and don't transmit, what's the risk?

But the story the vaxxers are telling is that transmission is still happening among those who are vaccinated. Are you saying they're lying?

And either way, what's the use of a "vaccine passport"? :shock:
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:02 pm
And either way, what's the use of a "vaccine passport"? :shock:
It's use is to be known as being racist.

It's racist to call something racist. :shock:

Think IC, think, think about what you are saying. Think backwards, and know yourself.