Health Care Workers should be given a medal

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

I think it just is well to remember when you are wasting your time reading the posts of the COVIDIOT Pandemic deniers, antivax morons, just what has happened ove the last 18 months or so.

There are good decent people who have dedicated their lives to other people's welfare.
When the meme junkies talk about big pharma conspiricies; spewing their dysinformation and lies; deny the existence of the virus; denigrate the scientists who have developed the vaccine and tell lies about its dangers it does well to rememer the front line staff who have given their lives to the care of the infected.
These are heroes of greater stature than any soldier.
https://rcni.com/nursing-standard/featu ... ves-160011

https://www.nursingtimes.net/news/coron ... 5-07-2021/

NHS staff in the UK have given more than TWICE as many lives as the armed forces in Afghanistan since 2001.

Thank you all for your service.
uwot

Post by uwot »

Absolutely. And a pay rise.
Dubious

Re: Health Care Workers should be given a medal

Post by Dubious »

No doubt and a pay raise as Uwot noted.

But what should we give those on the other side who are quite happy not only to keep the virus going but giving it the opportunity to mutate into more virulent strains?

Maybe this, a home in a sealed off covid refugee camp....

vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

What bullshit. I've encountered plenty of bitch nurses and arsehole doctors. They chose to work with sick people because presumably that's what they enjoy. Putting them up on a pedestal is just pathetic. Yes they are useful, but so are most other workers.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:46 am What bullshit. I've encountered plenty of bitch nurses and arsehole doctors. They chose to work with sick people because presumably that's what they enjoy. Putting them up on a pedestal is just pathetic. Yes they are useful, but so are most other workers.
Yup, it's utter bullshit.

People do all kinds of jobs to keep the human race alive and kicking, often prolonging their lives just so that they can die at a later date. Silly game, but then there's nothing else to do here in life except play the game, and use the time doing something, anything to fill in the empty void.

Animals are having the best life, they just be and die without uttering a single word about it.
uwot

Post by uwot »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:46 amI've encountered plenty of bitch nurses and arsehole doctors.
Do you ever think the problem might be you?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Dontaskme wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:47 am
Animals are having the best life, they just be and die without uttering a single word about it.
...mmm, I wonder Y?
vegetariantaxidermy

uwot wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:13 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:46 amI've encountered plenty of bitch nurses and arsehole doctors.
I'm sure anyone could say the same, especially women who've had children. This crap that nurses are all 'saints' just because they go to work and do what they are paid to do is just nauseating. I've also ecountered nice nurses and doctors, but up until fairly recently, with changing attitudes and expectations, nurses especially seemed to think that being as horrible as possible was part of their job description. Nice ones were the exception.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

attofishpi wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:00 pm
...mmm, I wonder Y?
Same reason why men often inform their wives ''... I'm going for a walk...'' after a row.

Men know that a stroll through Nature is a sure way to clear his head. Nature doesn't form opinions about him.

attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Dontaskme wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:04 am
...mmm, I wonder Y?
Same reason why men often inform their wives ''... I'm going for a walk...'' after a row.

Men know that a stroll through Nature is a sure way to clear his head. Nature doesn't form opinions about him.
I could be nasty - but what has that got to do with animals not talking?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:47 am
Dontaskme wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:04 am

...mmm, I wonder Y?

I could be nasty - but what has that got to do with animals not talking?
Oh please be as nasty as you like, be my guest, at least then you would be proving to me here, that you're never in denial of your true raw animalistic nature.

You're not very good with philosophical understanding are you.

Animals don't form opinions of you, only you form opinions of you. Opinions are all yours, you are the only author of your reality, is that too difficult for you to comprehend?

I used a different analogy to illustrate the same point...so fucking what!

Why are you always so arrogant, aggressive and dismissive, why do you feel the need to make it about peoples personalities all the time.
Are you capable of arguing an argument without resorting to hate speech.
People who use hate speech, me included are only doing so because they are always being caught up in their own reflection. Once we can admit that to ourselves, we can hopefully resolve the blockage.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Dubious wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:08 pm No doubt and a pay raise as Uwot noted.

But what should we give those on the other side who are quite happy not only to keep the virus going but giving it the opportunity to mutate into more virulent strains?

Maybe this, a home in a sealed off covid refugee camp....

Good idea.
ANyone left alive after 6 months is allowed back
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Exactly what I thought
vegetariantaxidermy

Sculptor wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:51 am
Exactly what I thought
I've seen nurses treating both the old and very young viciously. Anyone who is vulnerable. Everyone knows that doctors can be arrogant arseholes.
What do they need 'medals' for? They deal with far deadlier illnesses than covid. It's the profession they chose.
Putting them on a pedestal and saying they are 'saints' who should get medals is simply a form of self-worship.
Even if the vaccine had a high chance of harming healthy children you would still insist that they should have it, just to protect you. This is why you make a big song and dance about any mention in the media of children getting the virus. That level of self-absorption is repellent.
Any normal parent would be wary of a vaccine that little is known about yet, when it comes to something as precious and endearing as their children--especially for an illness that carries little real risk for them (and when there is virtually no data on the vaccine's effect on them), to 'allegedly' protect people like you.
But don't worry your little head about it. It's easy enough to force parents to have their children vaccinated with it. Govts. can impose all kinds of penalties for non-compliance--and I'm pretty sure they will.
Again I ask; if, as you claim, the virus is deadly to healthy children, then why are they last in the queue for the vaccine?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Sculptor wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:51 am
Exactly what I thought
What I think is not to trust any one that even slightly resembles a human being.

Especially the Dr Harold Shipman Serial killer or the Nurse who killed 8 babies in her care.

You just have to trust who you dare to trust, it's your need, if the need is there.

Speaking of which, we put our trust in pilots to keep us alive, not deliberately crashing a plane killing everyone on board.

Life is a risk, but if you enjoy risk, then you'll get it.