Healthcare Workers should be Fired

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

henry quirk

Re: Healthcare Workers should be Fired

Post by henry quirk »

commonsense wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:09 pm
henry quirk wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:47 pm
commonsense wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:53 pm What are the odds that the *conspiracists are right and the **scientists are wrong? According to the chances, who should you believe?
*Which conspiracists?

Name one, just one.

**Which scientists?

Name one, just one.
Here are their names:

“Any Conspiracist”

“Any Scientist”
predictable
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

henry quirk wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:54 pm

Three of you (B, common, yourself) laud the scientists, decry the crackpots, but none of you can or will name one of either.
If you had read my posts carefully and without your personal biases, you would have concluded that I lauded no one.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

I do not know the names of everyone who self identifies as a scientist or a conspiracist or a dentist for that matter.

I know, common, I know.
henry quirk

And, with that...

Post by henry quirk »

...I'm done in this thread.✌️
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

henry quirk wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:54 pm As Jack sez up-thread, time will show who is right and who is not.
Exactly. I intimated as much when I asked about probabilities of one side or the other being right. At the moment, it could be 50/50 for either.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Common, I guess, is motivated by age and frailty to grasp at a security blanket, a totem to keep the virus at bay.
I guess that Quirk is legitimately fearful that he will get ED.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

henry quirk wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:33 pm Do you not think this is what you've been fed, Henry?

wasn't talkin' to, or even about, you, lace
And that carries important relevance because…?
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

commonsense wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:53 pm What are the odds that the *conspiracists are right and the **scientists are wrong? According to the chances, who should you believe?
*Which conspiracists?

Name one, just one.

**Which scientists?

Name one, just one.
Do names matter?

Will it help you to say a majority of one or the other?
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

henry quirk wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:42 pm
Skepdick wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:37 pm
henry quirk wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:24 pm Common asked a question. I wanna see if he can name just one of the folks he deems conspiracists and name just one of the scientists he believes. So: how am I back pedalin'?
Oh, you forgot already!
Skepdick wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:32 am
The particulars shall be provided to you within 72 hours of publicly saying "I agree to the wager. Arrange the particulars".

Alongside your agreement, tell me which state you are in. The lawyers + escrow people will need this to confirm they can accomodate the legalities around our geographical disparity.

As a gesture of good will, I will donate $100 to any charity of Henry's choosing right now (even though we all suspect Henry "The Back Pedal" Quirk won't reciprocate)
Good lord, you're still on that?

Like a poodle worryin' over a chew toy.

I leave you to it, Ringo.
Backpedaling.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

henry quirk wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:34 pm
commonsense wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:09 pm

*Which conspiracists?

Name one, just one.

**Which scientists?

Name one, just one.
Here are their names:

“Any Conspiracist”

“Any Scientist”
predictable
Unfathomable, isn’t it?
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

henry quirk wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:34 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:56 pm

In other words: you can't name even one in either category (and I don't count in the latter or former).

Three of you (B, common, yourself) laud the scientists, decry the crackpots, but none of you can or will name one of either.

Here's what I make of that: none of you can name any reputable scientists or dastardly crackpots becuz, in context, everything any of you think you know about beer virus or the jabs comes from the talkin' heads on TV or from the ink-stained wretches of newspapers or magazines (or their counterparts on-line). In other words: you've been fed a specific line (select facts and interpretations of fact) and you take that line as gospel.

B, for example, by her own proud admission, relies on The Guardian, reasoning becuz the rag is subscriber-driven rather than advertiser-driven it's a reliable, accurate conduit. She will not see the rag is ultimately money-driven and, like any other money-driven entity, will skew to favor its consumers and their notions.

And your every single scientist comment, as though a degree and a lab coat insulate against corruption or elevate a fallible man into sumthin' better.

Common, I guess, is motivated by age and frailty to grasp at a security blanket, a totem to keep the virus at bay.

I think mebbe the three of you (and others in-forum) are in thrall to scientism (a religion if there ever was one) and its priests.

The Holy Writ: this is the Coronapocalypse; your salvation is in a needle.

As Jack sez up-thread, time will show who is right and who is not.
There's no vaccine for stupid. Perhaps a lobotomy would be more beneficial to you.
predictable
It's not very intelligent to pick and choose what 'science' you will believe, based on your own convenience. If this virus made your penis fall off and caused you to grow breasts then I'm sure you would be tripping over your penis to go and get a vaccine...
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

henry quirk wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:54 pm As Jack sez up-thread, time will show who is right and who is not.
The entire damn point of science is to predict what will happen before it actually happens so that we can prevent it from happening (if it's a bad thing); or help it happen (if it's a good thing).

If you need to shoot yourself in the face with a pistol to determine what happens you may just be as stupid as we think you are.

You own your body, no? You are supposed to determine what happens to it - not time. Time only kills.

"Time will tell" is an abdication of free will.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

They said only two jabs were needed at the beginning of this pandemic.

Now it's crept to 3

Then it'll be 4, then 5 then 6.... The jabbing frenzy, so it seems is for life now, welcome to the world of needle junkies. :mrgreen:

Sometimes we just have to face the reality of the way things are, we live in an era of medicine for all. But it's like the old cliche ''lead a horse to water, but don't expect it to drink''

Young and middle aged people will take the medicine because they care only about staying alive. Older people might just say to hell with it all.

Life is one endless struggle to combat disease and suffering anyway if we are to be perfectly honest with ourselves, and not in denial.

The misery is endless, if the virus don't get you, natural disasters will. Life is really sucky, but the good news is that it's temporal, you're all going to die. :mrgreen:

Last edited by Dontaskme on Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Dontaskme wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:43 am Then it'll be 4, then 5 then 6.... The jabbing frenzy, so it seems is for life now, welcome to the world of needle junkies. :mrgreen:
The regimen of keeping our bodies functioning must be such a chore for you.

How are you coping with all this regular breathing, eating and drinking?
Last edited by Skepdick on Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Skepdick wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:46 am
Dontaskme wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:43 am Then it'll be 4, then 5 then 6.... The jabbing frenzy, so it seems is for life now, welcome to the world of needle junkies. :mrgreen:
The regimen of keeping our bodies functioning be such a chore for you.

How are you coping with all this regular breathing, eating and drinking?
Oh it's a chore, you know how it is, I'm not in denial about this, that's for sure.