Healthcare Workers should be Fired

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

vegetariantaxidermy

Re: Healthcare Workers should be Fired

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

commonsense wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:24 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:15 pm
henry quirk wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:27 pm So your job requires it?

I self-employ, and I sure as hell ain't makin' myself accept the jab.

That's simply workplaces exercising their 'freedom' to hire whoever they wish...

If an employer, as a function of continued employment, or as a requirement for new employment, demanded current and new employees have F*** ME tattoed across the forehead: would this be an acceptable employment practice?

If an employer, as a function of continued employment, or as a requirement for new employment, demanded current and new employees accept bein' sodomized by the employer: would this be an acceptable employment practice?

Certainly, an employer exercises control over his employees as they work. They're his reps. He can dictate dress, comportment, and duties. He can demand certain work-related training and education. His authority in the workplace doesn't extend into his employees' bodies.

Requirements for tattoos and sodomy are ridiculous; so are mandated vaccinations.
Then what are you complaining about? How exactly are you being forced to get the vaccine??
It seems that you oppose mandated vaccinations but not another potential mandate: mandating that immunity must be by natural immunity only.

Where do you get that from? Have you replied to the wrong person?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

That's simply workplaces exercising their 'freedom' to hire whoever they wish...

If an employer, as a function of continued employment, or as a requirement for new employment, demanded current and new employees have F*** ME tattoed across the forehead: would this be an acceptable employment practice?

If an employer, as a function of continued employment, or as a requirement for new employment, demanded current and new employees accept bein' sodomized by the employer: would this be an acceptable employment practice?

Certainly, an employer exercises control over his employees as they work. They're his reps. He can dictate dress, comportment, and duties. He can demand certain work-related training and education. His authority in the workplace doesn't extend into his employees' bodies.

Requirements for tattoos and sodomy are ridiculous; so are mandated vaccinations.
Then what are you complaining about? How exactly are you being forced to get the vaccine??
So, you're in RC's camp: if you've got yours, to hell with other guy; don't fight The State if it's leavin' you be, yeah?

I used to be that way. Now, if Joe is beset upon, I don't turn away. If Stan is attacked, I step up. If my fellows are threatened with loss of livelihood for simply asserting they choose what goes into their bodies, I won't walk away thinkin' better them than me.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

commonsense wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:19 pm
henry quirk wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:01 pm From your posts I’d conclude that you would rail against the mandate and go and get your shot if you weren’t already immune. You have pointed out that there are factors such as the ineffectiveness and dangerousness of the vaccine that would make you not want to get the shot, but you’ve also said that overall you are anti-mandate more than anything else.

So if TPTB prohibited vaccination, and if you weren’t already immune, you would roll up your sleeve to get stuck.

Good lord: either I've failed to communicate or you're just yankin' my chain.
If I had said you would bend over to get stuck, then I would have been jerkin’ your chain. :mrgreen:

Seriously, you’ve said this is all about ownership, liberty and mandates. Are you changing to something else now?
I'm just wonderin' how my posts, in the thread, led you to believe my opposin' mandates means I would mechanically do the opposite of whatever is demanded. Wonderin' how my assertion that I alone decide what goes into, or doesn't go into, me translates into a robotic reaction wherein I mindlessly do the opposite of whatever is mandated.

If you're not jerkin' my chain, then I've failed to communicate.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

It seems that you oppose mandated vaccinations but not another potential mandate: mandating that immunity must be by natural immunity only.
Yeah, I musta massively failed to communicate.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

commonsense wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:27 pm
henry quirk wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:26 pm
Belinda wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:45 pm When Henry has to accept medical care the medic will probably do all he can to avoid cross infecting Henry with virus from someone else.
Pretty sure true medical professionals will do everything reasonable to safeguard themselves and their patients, and they'll do it with reserve.
Yes, professionals and other healthcare employees of the highest standards will use PPE and vaccinations.
Don't know it's runnin' in Merry Old, but here: every hospital and network mandatin' vaccinations is losin' doctors and nurses and support staff, hard over fist. I guess, by your lights, they ain't professionals.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

commonsense wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:29 pm
henry quirk wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:01 pm From your posts I’d conclude that you would rail against the mandate and go and get your shot if you weren’t already immune. You have pointed out that there are factors such as the ineffectiveness and dangerousness of the vaccine that would make you not want to get the shot, but you’ve also said that overall you are anti-mandate more than anything else.

So if TPTB prohibited vaccination, and if you weren’t already immune, you would roll up your sleeve to get stuck.

Good lord: either I've failed to communicate or you're just yankin' my chain.
I only referenced the position you made clear.
Apparently, I wasn't clear at all.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

commonsense wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:47 pm That which is most dear must not be given up until the last.

Liberty must not be given up at any cost, even during a crisis.

A life without liberty is pure hell.

For that reason, liberty must be given priority over life.

Re Covid-19, masking, and distancing, and closing down bars and restaurants and theaters, and home schooling, and yes, even vaccinating should have been voluntary from the start.

Losing lives in a war to protect freedom isn’t anything new.

If this means that liberty takes precedence over compassion, then that is only an unfortunate circumstance of the pandemic world.

I look forward to rebuttal.
Is mandated vaccination compassionate?
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:05 pm

Where do you get that from? Have you replied to the wrong person?
Sorry. I should have made it clear that I was addressing Henry.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

henry quirk wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:26 pm
commonsense wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:27 pm

Pretty sure true medical professionals will do everything reasonable to safeguard themselves and their patients, and they'll do it with reserve.
Yes, professionals and other healthcare employees of the highest standards will use PPE and vaccinations.
Don't know it's runnin' in Merry Old, but here: every hospital and network mandatin' vaccinations is losin' doctors and nurses and support staff, hard over fist. I guess, by your lights, they ain't professionals.
Correct.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

henry quirk wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:28 pm
commonsense wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:47 pm That which is most dear must not be given up until the last.

Re Covid-19, masking, and distancing, and closing down bars and restaurants and theaters, and home schooling, and yes, even vaccinating should have been voluntary from the start.

If this means that liberty takes precedence over compassion, then that is only an unfortunate circumstance of the pandemic world.

Certainly a person on immunosuppressant medication (a triple dosage for me) would bask in the compassion shown if everyone who could would get the shot.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

henry quirk wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:40 pm
A self-reliant people would never allow a government to be more than a clearing house of information and an instrument for the investigation of, and the adjudication of, claims of life, liberty, or property violation.
What's the difference then between where you live and China or Russia excepting language? The kind of government you describe doesn't exist anywhere.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Belinda wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:45 pm When Henry has to accept medical care the medic will probably do all he can to avoid cross infecting Henry with virus from someone else.

The scared and the skittish ought find other work.
They are far too busy saving lives and making people comfortable to bother with unreasonable procedures.
vegetariantaxidermy

henry quirk wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:14 pm

So, you're in RC's camp: if you've got yours, to hell with other guy; don't fight The State if it's leavin' you be, yeah?

I used to be that way. Now, if Joe is beset upon, I don't turn away. If Stan is attacked, I step up. If my fellows are threatened with loss of livelihood for simply asserting they choose what goes into their bodies, I won't walk away thinkin' better them than me.
Who is 'RC'? I'm not in anyone's 'camp'. unlike you.
vegetariantaxidermy

commonsense wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:37 pm
henry quirk wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:28 pm

Certainly a person on immunosuppressant medication (a triple dosage for me) would bask in the compassion shown if everyone who could would get the shot.
I didn't get it for them. I got it because it suited me to get it.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

henry quirk to veggie wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:14 pm if you've got yours, to hell with other guy; don't fight The State if it's leavin' you be, yeah?

I used to be that way.
Used to be that way?? When did you change? You've frequently spoken about only taking care of you and yours. And that you don't care about anything that isn't affecting you, yes? Can you clarify when/why you actually give a crap and when you don't? :lol: