Healthcare Workers should be Fired

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

commonsense

Re: Healthcare Workers should be Fired

Post by commonsense »

henry quirk wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:26 am
Lacewing wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:07 am
henry quirk wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:54 am

Hiya, Lace!

*Please, quote the relevant posts in their entirety so we all can see the context and meaning of me takin' care of me and mine.

**And while your huntin' down those posts, mebbe you can find those wherein I say I don't care about anything that isn't affecting me. You can quote those posts too, in their entirety, so we all can see the context and meaning of them.
*Well it would be even easier for you to just say, right now, that you've not thought nor said anything of the kind... except for certain circumstances (which you can clarify). Is that what you're saying? Perhaps it was a misunderstanding that you can easily clear up? **There's no need for me to wade through all of your crap to point out things that you'll just be contrary about, and make excuses for, anyway. Just clarify now... when/why you actually give a crap about anyone else besides you and those close to you?
*Easier for you, you mean.

**Sure there is: you've asserted sumthin' about me. I want you to back it up with the damning evidence of my own words.

See, I know the game. I'm supposed to, as you reckon it, prove the unicorn doesn't exist when instead you have to prove it does.
Anyone with a memory can agree with Lace without being fed word by word what you said.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

commonsense wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:06 pm
Lacewing wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:07 am
*Well it would be even easier for you to just say, right now, that you've not thought nor said anything of the kind... except for certain circumstances (which you can clarify). Is that what you're saying? Perhaps it was a misunderstanding that you can easily clear up? **There's no need for me to wade through all of your crap to point out things that you'll just be contrary about, and make excuses for, anyway. Just clarify now... when/why you actually give a crap about anyone else besides you and those close to you?

**Sure there is: you've asserted sumthin' about me. I want you to back it up with the damning evidence of my own words.

See, I know the game. I'm supposed to, as you reckon it, prove the unicorn doesn't exist when instead you have to prove it does.
Anyone with a memory can agree with Lace without being fed word by word what you said.
Yeah, I'm not particularly impressed by your, or her, memory (or comprehension), guy.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Here are a few reminders for anyone who needs them in this discussion:
henry quirk wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:19 pm

Yeah, I'm not particularly impressed by your, or her, memory (or comprehension), guy.

As I say (in an email)...

My natural rights notions have at their core 'a man belongs to himself'. His life, liberty, and property are his. His life, liberty,
and property are only forfeit, in part or whole, when he knowingly, willingly, without just cause, deprives another, in part or whole, of life, liberty, or property.

When I refuse to mask up, or lock down, or accept the jab, this -- I believe -- moral fact (a man belongs to himself) is my rock solid foundation. I am mine. I choose. I don't ask that my fellows, or the State, accept this. I demand they recognize it.

This conversation is about, I think, a person's claim to himself vs the claim others believe they have on him. I say others have no claim on him. You seem to be sayin' they do have a claim on him.

As I reckon it: even in a true Caronapocalypse (sumthin', in my view, that we are not in), TPTB ought do nuthin' but act as a clearing house for information and advisement. Free men don't become wards of The State, they're supposed to be its employers. And here's where we perhaps differ on that subject: I see a purpose to the minimal Nightwatchman affair, its purpose expressly bein' the investigation of, and the adjudication of, claims of life, liberty, or property violation. You mebbe see this as inadequate preferrin' the wider, deeper State with its legislators, executives, judicials, bureaucrats, technocrats, and the like. You prefer The State and work to shore it up; I work to see it *dismantled.

First, I'm not anti-vaccination, I'm anti-mandate. Second, best I can tell, many anti-vaxxers are refuseniks solely becuz they believe the beer virus jabs are ineffective and harmful; this not my primary focus.

To be clear: we could indeed be in the midst of a True Coronapocalypse and the jabs could all be 100% effective with zero side effects and I would still oppose mandates. My ownness is nonnegotiable and not on the table. There is no I am my own except for when....

I am my own. I belong to me. My life, liberty, and property are mine. I've authorized no one to direct me. I don't recognize the moral authority of anyone (save for one) who claims power over me.

Some here say in a public health crisis such things have to take a backseat to controlling the disease. I say, no, in such a crisis the last thing we ought do is set aside principle. In setting aside principle we relegate man, each other, to meat, meat that must be preserved at all costs and to hell with personhood.

Living as preserved meat is not preferable to dying as a human being, a person, not to me.

This is my position, even if I'm the only one in the whole of the world who holds to it.

Exactly. You decided to get jabbed, for whatever reason you sussed out for yourself. Not becuz you were guilt-tripped into it by some immuno-compromised person, and not becuz a government told you had to, and not becuz an employer threatened to fire you if you remained un-jabbed. You decided: which is how it should be.

I must seem, then, awfully uncompassionate: I can live with that.

One gnat is nuthin'; a swarm is irritatin'. Is honor the new look down on? Never been.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

commonsense wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:06 pm Anyone with a memory can agree with Lace without being fed word by word what you said.
Yet, Henry cannot even simply say anything right now to the contrary. He always finds the words for avoidance and games, though!

When things have been wrongly claimed about how I think, I simply explain and clarify what I actually think (as most people do when that happens to them). It's not that hard to set it straight in the present moment. But Henry plays ridiculous games exactly because HE IS -- INDEED -- uncooperative and doesn't care about others, as he consistently expresses. And he seems quite proud of that, as if he is uniquely independent and correct for doing so. :lol:
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Belinda wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:21 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:12 pm More irony from the US (it just keeps giving) is that (I'm sticking my neck out here now, I know it's a long shot) I'm guessing that most (all) of the anti-lockdown, anti-science, anti-vax fanatics in the US are also 'pro lifers', (those kristians who (apparently) believe in the 'sanctity of life')...
Of course they are! It's all part of the same complex. Rupert Murdoch has traduced the idea of freedom so that freedom is viewed as expressions of narrow antagonism to science and democracy.
I was being sarcastic. I knew they were the same lot. With a bit of luck covid will wipe them all out.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Lacewing wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:08 pm
commonsense wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:06 pm Anyone with a memory can agree with Lace without being fed word by word what you said.
Yet, Henry cannot even simply say anything right now to the contrary. He always finds the words for avoidance and games, though!

When things have been wrongly claimed about how I think, I simply explain and clarify what I actually think (as most people do when that happens to them). It's not that hard to set it straight in the present moment. But Henry plays ridiculous games exactly because HE IS -- INDEED -- uncooperative and doesn't care about others, as he consistently expresses. And he seems quite proud of that, as if he is uniquely independent and correct for doing so. :lol:
You hit the nail on the head. The only 'answer' he ever gives is, 'I've answered that previously...' :lol: He's been posting for about a decade so he can safely assume that no one is going to bother troweling through every one of his comments.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

commonsense wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:39 pm Here are a few reminders for anyone who needs them in this discussion:

As I say (in an email)...

My natural rights notions have at their core 'a man belongs to himself'. His life, liberty, and property are his. His life, liberty,
and property are only forfeit, in part or whole, when he knowingly, willingly, without just cause, deprives another, in part or whole, of life, liberty, or property.

When I refuse to mask up, or lock down, or accept the jab, this -- I believe -- moral fact (a man belongs to himself) is my rock solid foundation. I am mine. I choose. I don't ask that my fellows, or the State, accept this. I demand they recognize it.

This conversation is about, I think, a person's claim to himself vs the claim others believe they have on him. I say others have no claim on him. You seem to be sayin' they do have a claim on him.

As I reckon it: even in a true Caronapocalypse (sumthin', in my view, that we are not in), TPTB ought do nuthin' but act as a clearing house for information and advisement. Free men don't become wards of The State, they're supposed to be its employers. And here's where we perhaps differ on that subject: I see a purpose to the minimal Nightwatchman affair, its purpose expressly bein' the investigation of, and the adjudication of, claims of life, liberty, or property violation. You mebbe see this as inadequate preferrin' the wider, deeper State with its legislators, executives, judicials, bureaucrats, technocrats, and the like. You prefer The State and work to shore it up; I work to see it *dismantled.

First, I'm not anti-vaccination, I'm anti-mandate. Second, best I can tell, many anti-vaxxers are refuseniks solely becuz they believe the beer virus jabs are ineffective and harmful; this not my primary focus.

To be clear: we could indeed be in the midst of a True Coronapocalypse and the jabs could all be 100% effective with zero side effects and I would still oppose mandates. My ownness is nonnegotiable and not on the table. There is no I am my own except for when....

I am my own. I belong to me. My life, liberty, and property are mine. I've authorized no one to direct me. I don't recognize the moral authority of anyone (save for one) who claims power over me.

Some here say in a public health crisis such things have to take a backseat to controlling the disease. I say, no, in such a crisis the last thing we ought do is set aside principle. In setting aside principle we relegate man, each other, to meat, meat that must be preserved at all costs and to hell with personhood.

Living as preserved meat is not preferable to dying as a human being, a person, not to me.

This is my position, even if I'm the only one in the whole of the world who holds to it.

Exactly. You decided to get jabbed, for whatever reason you sussed out for yourself. Not becuz you were guilt-tripped into it by some immuno-compromised person, and not becuz a government told you had to, and not becuz an employer threatened to fire you if you remained un-jabbed. You decided: which is how it should be.

I must seem, then, awfully uncompassionate: I can live with that.

One gnat is nuthin'; a swarm is irritatin'. Is honor the new look down on? Never been.
So, to you, the *above means **I only take care of me and mine, and, **I don't care about anything that isn't affecting me, yeah?

So: if a man defends himself against what he views as an over-steppin' State, if he defends himself against defenders of what he views as an over-steppin' State, if he refuses to be guilt-tripped by a fragile stranger into doin' sumthin' he doesn't want to do, if he issues insults when he's insulted, if he declines to submit, well, hell, that man is nuthin' but a selfish bastid, right?

*never mind that much of what you cite applies to all men and women

** Lace's assertions
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Instead of spendin' time tellin' us how poorly you think of me: just post the damming quotes in their entirety.

Common at least made the effort, though his choices don't really support your assertions.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:28 pm

You hit the nail on the head. The only 'answer' he ever gives is, 'I've answered that previously...' :lol: He's been posting for about a decade so he can safely assume that no one is going to bother troweling through every one of his comments.
If Lace is certain she has evidence that's...
Lacewing wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:17 am already been witnessed and commented on by many people on this forum
...then presentin' it ought to be a piece of cake.

If she won't, if you won't, if Common won't: why should I participate in your lil mock trial?
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

henry quirk wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:54 pm **I only take care of me and mine

**I don't care about anything that isn't affecting me

** Lace's assertions
Do you?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Lacewing wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:11 pm

** Lace's assertions
Do you?
Do I care about things that don't affect me? Do I care for people outside of me and mine?

Yes, I do.

I guess you want me to prove it, right?
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

henry quirk wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:18 pm

** Lace's assertions
Do you?
Do I care about things that don't affect me? Do I care for people outside of me and mine?

Yes, I do.

Ah, well that's great to hear! It doesn't come across in your typical rants. For further explanation, can you provide some examples of how/when you care? Just a few would be lovely. 8) (Or if you prefer to wade through posts, you can point to places where you've expressed it already.)
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Lacewing wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:24 pm
Do you?

Yes, I do.

Ah, well that's great to hear! It doesn't come across in your typical rants. For further explanation, can you provide some examples of how/when you care? Just a few would be lovely. 8)
*sigh*

You're a pip, Lace: a predictable pip.

I'll throw you a bone: go read my back & forth with various folks in this thread (in particular, an exchange with veg, up-thread)).

As for my rants: those all involve some aspect of my natural rights libertarianism. As a kind of moral realism it applies to everyone. For example, when I write...

A man belongs to himself.

....that means any man; it applies to everyone (even predictable pips).

When I write...

A man's life, liberty, and property are his own.

When I write...

A man's life, liberty, and property are only forfeit, in part or whole, when he knowingly, willingly, without just cause, deprives another, in part or whole, of life, of liberty, or property.

I write about, rant about, principles thru which all are recognized as persons, and -- predictable pip that you are -- you only see selfish bastid.

I also rant against those who'd lay claim to a man (to any man, to all men, includin' predictable pips). I call these people slavers. They don't believe you, for example, are yours. Instead, you are a resource they can exploit, a commodity to sell or buy. You're meat to them. Look to China as the most obvious example of a slaver state (but it ain't the only one).

Again, I argue from principle against evil people who'd leash everyone, includin' pips, but all you see, as a predictable pip, is a ranty guy.

-----

Seems I've participated in your lil trial after all. The above is my closing, you pip.

Judge me as you like.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

** Lace's assertions
Do you?

Yes, I do.

The thing is, I quoted you saying no, you don’t.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

commonsense wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:13 pm
Do you?

Yes, I do.

The thing is, I quoted you saying no, you don’t.
Your comprehension is lacking.

pip