Healthcare Workers should be Fired

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

vegetariantaxidermy

Re: Healthcare Workers should be Fired

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:31 am
henry quirk wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:25 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:07 am

Or how quickly they get there. Just don't clog up your emergency department. You wouldn't want to be a hypocrite now, with your 'imaginery illness'.
Wouldn't dream of it. Besides, you mudbloods need them emergency services way more than me.
I've met people who are not vaccinated, and who happily say, "Put me at the back of the line if I have any health issues. It's a risk that's less serious to me than the risk of taking the vaccine."

Hey, why not? If that's how they want it, why shouldn't they be allowed to do as they please? They're adults: they know the risks, and they've made a personal decision about how to weight those. I have no problem with that.
That's funny, because all the people in hospital here with it are unvaccinated.
Last edited by vegetariantaxidermy on Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:51 am ...all the people in hospital here with it are anti-vax...
Their choice. Their health. Their bodies. Their option.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:19 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:51 am ...all the people in hospital here with it are anti-vax...
Are you really too stupid to see the irony?
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

But on the occasion of your being badly injured or dying your options are limited or absent. Are you saying that no medic should help you when you are injured or dying until and unless you have given the medic express permission to do so?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

henry quirk wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:25 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:07 am

Or how quickly they get there. Just don't clog up your emergency department. You wouldn't want to be a hypocrite now, with your 'imaginery illness'.
Wouldn't dream of it. Besides, you mudbloods need them emergency services way more than me.
I've met people who are not vaccinated, and who happily say, "Put me at the back of the line if I have any health issues. It's a risk that's less serious to me than the risk of taking the vaccine."

Hey, why not? If that's how they want it, why shouldn't they be allowed to do as they please? They're adults: they know the risks, and they've made a personal decision about how to weight those. I have no problem with that.
What amuses me...

The bandwagon sez if you won't accept the jab you ought not get medical trestment while at the same time caterin' to the morbidly obese who are morbidly obese thru choice and by ignorin' the the science.

No jab? No treatment!

Fat ass? C'mon in!

What else?

Heroin overdose? C'mon in!

Attempted suicide? C'mon in!

Perforated intestine from shovin' a candlestick up your keister? C'mon in!

The bandwagon is an inconstant motherfucker: and it'll pay for that inconstancy.

Anecdote time!

Here, in S. Louisiana, most folks treat the mandates as a joke. Our governor issues them, readily acknowlegin' he has no real way to enforce them. Some businesses, though, bein' good soldiers and followin' orders insist on, for example, masks for entry. I've had a handful of encounters with such businesses over the past eighteen months. What I tell the reps of those businesses, the salesclerk, the manager, the waitperson, who sez mask up or leave is: one day, all this nonsense is gonna be over, corona will be history, and you'll be wonderin' why your business has hasn't picked up. That'll be becuz people like me have long memories. We'll remember that you denied us services or products today and we'll deny you our cash tomorrow.

The Houseplant sez our patience is wearin' then. We're way past that, Joe. Our patience is gone.

Middle class *America is no less violent than any other people. They seem passive because they’re results oriented. They rise not out of blood frenzy but to solve the otherwise insoluble. Their methods of choice are good will, cooperation, forbearance, negotiation and finally, appeasement, roughly in that order. Only when these fail to end the abuse do they revert to blowback. And they do so irretrievably. Once the course is set and the outcome defined, doubt is put aside. The middle class is known, condemned actually, for carrying out violence with the efficiency of an industrial project where bloody destruction at any scale is not only in play, it’s a metric. Remorse is left for the next generation, they’ll have the leisure for it. We’d like to believe this is merely dark speculation. History says it isn’t. The Late Ol’ Remus

*or any western country you care to name
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

This is exactly how it should be at this point, and possibly all along. Weigh the risks for yourself, act accordingly and just don’t interfere with anyone else’s access to treatment.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Belinda wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:46 am
But on the occasion of your being badly injured or dying your options are limited or absent. Are you saying that no medic should help you when you are injured or dying until and unless you have given the medic express permission to do so?
In this country, there has to be either a consent to treatment (but often this is assumed in the absence of an objection to treatment) or an inability (such as unconsciousness) to consent, in order for the treatment to proceed legally.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

commonsense wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:26 pm

This is exactly how it should be at this point, and possibly all along. Weigh the risks for yourself, act accordingly and just don’t interfere with anyone else’s access to treatment.
Tell that to TPTB.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

henry quirk wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:30 pm What amuses me...

The bandwagon sez if you won't accept the jab you ought not get medical trestment while at the same time caterin' to the morbidly obese who are morbidly obese thru choice and by ignorin' the the science.

No jab? No treatment!

Fat ass? C'mon in!

What else?

The bandwagon is an inconstant motherfucker: and it'll pay for that inconstancy.
Actually the bandwagon is drawing a distinction between a disease and a decision.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

henry quirk wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:30 pm
Middle class *America is no less violent than any other people. They seem passive because they’re results oriented. They rise not out of blood frenzy but to solve the otherwise insoluble. Their methods of choice are good will, cooperation, forbearance, negotiation and finally, appeasement, roughly in that order. Only when these fail to end the abuse do they revert to blowback. And they do so irretrievably. Once the course is set and the outcome defined, doubt is put aside. The middle class is known, condemned actually, for carrying out violence with the efficiency of an industrial project where bloody destruction at any scale is not only in play, it’s a metric. Remorse is left for the next generation, they’ll have the leisure for it. We’d like to believe this is merely dark speculation. History says it isn’t. The Late Ol’ Remus

*or any western country you care to name
Insightful and wise.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

commonsense wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:41 pm
henry quirk wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:30 pm What amuses me...

No jab? No treatment!

Fat ass? C'mon in!

What else?

Actually the bandwagon is drawing a distinction between a disease and a decision.
What the bandwagon is doin' is: givin' sanction to and providin' aid to folks who we all know are self-injurin' while at the same time declarin' folks who choose not accept a dicey jab pariah and unclean.

The bandwagon sez the willfully unjabbed ought not be treated becuz they'll drain resources unnecessarily but then spend billions on the obese, the addicted, and others who willfully injure themselves (not mention the wastrels who can fend for themselves but choose instead to collect a check from taxpayers, by way of the gov).

Additionally: Joe Citizen is expected to get jabbed while the top echelons of TPTB (and the friggin' postal service!) are exempted.

Governors issue masking and lockdown mandates and then openly violate those mandates. City councillors chastise citizens about ignorin' stay at home orders then openly violate those orders.

But, I'll stop now. I've been told I'm bein' intemperate and hostile by management. I've ruffled someone's skirt, twisted someone's nipples, and I'm in the spotlight.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

commonsense wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:33 pm
Belinda wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:46 am
In this country, there has to be either a consent to treatment (but often this is assumed in the absence of an objection to treatment) or an inability (such as unconsciousness) to consent, in order for the treatment to proceed legally.
In the UK, that is the case, Commonsense.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Belinda wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:46 am Are you saying that no medic should help you when you are injured or dying until and unless you have given the medic express permission to do so?
I'm not even saying any medic should have the right to forgo the treatment of any patient. I'm saying that patients have a right to determine their own care. That's quite a different proposition.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

commonsense wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:26 pm

Yep, agreed. I'm a big believer in the right of the individual to decide his own medical care. Nobody has right to put stuff into your body that you don't want in there. And if you're prepared to bear the risks, nobody has a right to tell you that you cannot.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

The logic is straight-forward simple...

Lordship over one's self is a given. If a person decides not to receive treatment for something - affecting ONLY that person almost certain to be in contact with others - he/she has the absolute right to do so. But if your body is a vessel for transmission of a killer virus then that right must be questioned. Rights are not and never have been absolute. It's not possible for any such situation to exist without annulling the concept of rights which always defines a balance within a society since no single individual is the sole inheritor of those rights. There are conditions when certain rights MUST be temporarily suspended until that which caused its curtailment is resolved or controlled. Whatever rights we have were not created on top of Mt. Sinai.