safety v. compliance

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Skepdick

Re: safety v. compliance

Post by Skepdick »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:16 pm How am I to know that?
You can't tell who doesn't have an ounce of critical thought?
Who can't falsify their own reasoning?
henry quirk wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:16 pm It's becuz morality is objective that Joe ought leave Stan be.
Morality mandates you allow people to make poor decisions that will harm them in the long run?

That's what assholes do...
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

You can't tell who doesn't have an ounce of critical thought?
Who can't falsify their own reasoning?

Sure, but as I have a life, I don't spend all my time interrogatin' folks to assess their competence.

Morality mandates you allow people to make poor decisions that will harm them in the long run?

Yes. And: I don't allow; I can only interfere (and, as I reckon it, that's immoral).

That's what assholes do...

That's what free men do.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

RCSaunders wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:25 amIn light of all the success governments have been throughout history, do you really believe there is a problem that can only be solved by a government telling people what to do?
Forgive me if I find this question naive to the point of being semi-insulting, even though I'm sure you didn't mean it that way!

If that were true as stated, it would imply near infallibility. Historically scanned, that would be a myth even more absurd than thinking god is going to save one's pathetic little soul. Governments, in practice, operate as much to service the elite as to establish order. In a lot of ways, that hasn't changed. Just consider who's paying and not paying taxes! Also, the principle that no one is above the law sounds noble and right, but remains a dismal failure in its implementation. Those who proclaim it are mostly institutions who want you to believe it in service to themselves.

I think that answers your question which has nothing to do with covid per se or anything classified as a pandemic.

Pandemics don't offer a choice considered as a right if the goal is to defeat it; everyone is enlisted to be vaccinated before it grows stronger through variants. The ones who renege are responsible for giving those variants a chance to spread and becoming more dangerous even to those who are vaccinated.

What fighting a pandemic has to do with human rights is beyond me. No one rescinded any rights except those which cause the virus to spread. Governments, obviously, are not in favor of implementing those kinds of exceptions being extremely costly in terms of limited revenue and extra massive expenditures not normally encountered.

As far as I'm concerned - and this may shock you - is to let covid take its course among those who believe their rights are infringed if forced to vaccinate; remove them immediately to isolation camps if infected where they either make it or don't make it on their own. Of course, all of these super idiots who politicized the virus as a matter of human rights are going to cry if they get it mainly caused by a permanent pandemic called rank stupidity made even more intense by social media platforms. It's true! The internet has not made us smarter! Let them croak and thereby increase the collective IQ.

Whether you reply or not is your choice.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Dubious wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:11 am What fighting a pandemic has to do with human rights is beyond me.
Me either. There is no such thing as rights.

But if individual human life does not matter what is the point of fighting a pandemic. What else is it a threat to?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

As far as I'm concerned - and this may shock you - is to let covid take its course among those who believe their rights are infringed if forced to vaccinate; remove them immediately to isolation camps if infected where they either make it or don't make it on their own.

It is the duty of society to protect *the weak;” but protection cannot be efficient without the power of control; therefore, “It is the duty of society to enslave the weak. George Fitzhugh

You wear the leash well, *Dub
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:00 pm As far as I'm concerned - and this may shock you - is to let covid take its course among those who believe their rights are infringed if forced to vaccinate; remove them immediately to isolation camps if infected where they either make it or don't make it on their own.

It is the duty of society to protect *the weak;” but protection cannot be efficient without the power of control; therefore, “It is the duty of society to enslave the weak. George Fitzhugh

What's the matter! You too fucking weak to get a covid shot? Too bad. Make sure to pass it on to someone you know if you get it!
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Dubious wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:18 pm
henry quirk wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:00 pm As far as I'm concerned - and this may shock you - is to let covid take its course among those who believe their rights are infringed if forced to vaccinate; remove them immediately to isolation camps if infected where they either make it or don't make it on their own.

*What's the matter! You too fucking weak to get a covid shot? Too bad. Make sure to pass it on to someone you know if you get it!
*Translation: I do as I'm told, and so should you!

slave thinkin'
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Only someone demented would think that getting vaccinated in the midst of a pandemic would be slave thinking. Better to heap up more dead bodies than be a slave; ain't that so Spartacus? Nice to know you're doing your bit to keep freedom alive!
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Dubious wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:10 pm Only someone demented would think that getting vaccinated in the midst of a pandemic would be slave thinking. Better to heap up more dead bodies than be a slave; ain't that so Spartacus? Nice to know you're doing your bit to keep freedom alive!
Only a slaver or a slave would post...
Dubious wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:11 am As far as I'm concerned - and this may shock you - is to let covid take its course among those who believe their rights are infringed if forced to vaccinate; remove them immediately to isolation camps if infected where they either make it or don't make it on their own.
...and we both know which you are.

You're despicable and weak, but I'd still fight for you to be free.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

As an individualist I do my thinking for myself. I may not know with certainty what to think, but I know when government statements sound like lies and when so-called “conspiracy theories” sound like they are more believable than the propaganda.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

commonsense wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:17 pm As an individualist I do my thinking for myself. I may not know with certainty what to think, but I know when government statements sound like lies and when so-called “conspiracy theories” sound like they are more believable than the propaganda.
What? Like all the individualists who are flat out convinced there is a conspiracy to make them take the vaccine?

The individualists who go "You are only taking the vaccine because the government is telling you to!"
The individualists who think doing the opposite of what everybody is doing is "thinking for yourself", so they refuse to take the vaccine?

Individualists are idealogoues like every other ists.

I am tired of people who self-identify as this way, or that way, every way. I am tired of people who don't self-identity as themselves.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:13 pm
Dubious wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:10 pm Only someone demented would think that getting vaccinated in the midst of a pandemic would be slave thinking. Better to heap up more dead bodies than be a slave; ain't that so Spartacus? Nice to know you're doing your bit to keep freedom alive!
Dubious wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:11 am As far as I'm concerned - and this may shock you - is to let covid take its course among those who believe their rights are infringed if forced to vaccinate; remove them immediately to isolation camps if infected where they either make it or don't make it on their own.
...and we both know which you are.

Now be logical! Which am I? A slaver or a slave? How can I know or you know if the two choices are opposite to each other? You really got me confused! I'm now forced to think about this ALL day to determine which is most probable!

But let me double down here. The corona virus would be of great benefit to the human race if it infected and got rid of ~ one billion or so of the worst idiots on the planet. Then it would no-longer be called the corona virus but the clean-up virus. Kudos to you for volunteering!
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Dubious wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:38 pm
...and *we both know which you are.

Now be logical! *Which am I? A slaver or a slave? How can I know or you know if the two choices are opposite to each other? You really got me confused! I'm now forced to think about this ALL day to determine which is most probable!

But let me double down here. The corona virus would be of great benefit to the human race if it infected and got rid of ~ one billion or so of the worst idiots on the planet. Then it would no-longer be called the corona virus but the clean-up virus. Kudos to you for volunteering!
*connect the dots
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:53 pm

...and *we both know which you are.

Now be logical! *Which am I? A slaver or a slave? How can I know or you know if the two choices are opposite to each other? You really got me confused! I'm now forced to think about this ALL day to determine which is most probable!

*connect the dots
Nothing else to say? With a tin-foil mentality such as yours, why do you always insist on arguing when you're so incapable of it! Better for you to revert to cartoon mode. Words don't seem to suit you.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Dubious wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:06 pm
henry quirk wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:53 pm

*connect the dots
Nothing else to say? With a tin-foil mentality such as yours, why do you always insist on arguing when you're so incapable of it! Better for you to revert to cartoon mode. Words don't seem to suit you.
slave